User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #76
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
Motorfiets,

Very nice farkles... esp. the matt black TT tank! but the amount of money invested into the bike... = ..

haha... enjoy riding it!
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #77
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Sweet to see a guy with some bucks to do it the way he wants it. Good work! All nice kit. Don't forget to increase you insurance replacement cost.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #78
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
... Don't forget to increase you insurance replacement cost.

full coverage at my chosen insured price!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #79
globewanderer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Nice mods!

Good to see the project. Yes the can is heavy What exhaust are you looking at replacing it with?

You may also want to stick a Stebel Nautilis airhorn on. In South Americal, Asia, India etc. people drive with their horns. I have blown trucks of the road with mine. Also animals which tend to like to lay on the road for the heat and salt.

Interesting color scheme. I have the same touratech bash plate and tool box as well as cargo rack. I didn't like the various shades of aluminum so I painted it out with matt black rockguard that is available at any automotive store in a spray can for around $7.

Nice tank, and you will need it. I just use a 2 litre wunderlick can mounted in the inner exterior face of my Jesse panier. Works well there. Also have an MSR fuel bottle for the dodgy regions.

Packing gear is another issue even with the right gear that should require much research and even more testing, make sure your list contains compression bags. I estimate I reduce the bulk of my gear by around 60% using these.

There may comments that your bike and modifications are adding up the weight as lighter is better. I have found that yes, even with many modifications and excess weight, all the farkles have been useful for the way I ride.

I also have a DR 650 for the purist stuff and will buy a 300cc in Beijing for a trip through Mongolia this summer. Both are beaters.

Like to see the completed product.

Regards, GW
globewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #80
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Nice work Ben. I look forward to more details about your Givi crash bar mods. This is one area I still want to improve with my TT tank installation.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #81
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Hello Motorfiets,
I was wondering if you could also post what riding and camping gear you are taking for the RTW trip.
It doesn't have to be in this thread or right away.
Thx.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #82
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
Hello Motorfiets,
I was wondering if you could also post what riding and camping gear you are taking for the RTW trip.
It doesn't have to be in this thread or right away.
Thx.
in my near future...

since im the mechanic of the group i want someplace i can wrench on the bikes without getting wet!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #83
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
heeeeaaaavvvvvy tent. MAYBE if you've got a bigger bike with better capacity for weight and space, but I wouldn't go for it with the 800.

You're better off getting a super packable tarp. you can fit those things in your pocket they're so compact.

just my 2 cents.

cheers,
Mark
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #84
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
heeeeaaaavvvvvy tent. MAYBE if you've got a bigger bike with better capacity for weight and space, but I wouldn't go for it with the 800.
Might be heavy but comfort on a ATW trip is a big deal... imagine going 10+ days without a shower and it raining every day and your buddy's bike is acting up... A dry place to work would be worth it's weight in gold!

Maybe this is me justifying my "2 person tent" that I pack on my bike because it can (and has) kept all my crap dry in heavy rains for more than a week at a time.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #85
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Might be heavy but comfort on a ATW trip is a big deal... imagine going 10+ days without a shower and it raining every day and your buddy's bike is acting up... A dry place to work would be worth it's weight in gold!

Maybe this is me justifying my "2 person tent" that I pack on my bike because it can (and has) kept all my crap dry in heavy rains for more than a week at a time.
I agree about the comfort but you can get the same with half the weight and space. Just think about how much crap that Ewan and Charlie packed for their ATW trip. They ended up ditching tons of their crap cuz it was too much. Ask Rene Cormier too. Less is More.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #86
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
I agree about the comfort but you can get the same with half the weight and space. Just think about how much crap that Ewan and Charlie packed for their ATW trip. They ended up ditching tons of their crap cuz it was too much. Ask Rene Cormier too. Less is More.
Very true, I aspire to take less every time, honestly. The "Less is More" mantra of adventure riders should be taken seriously by all riders and practiced as often as possible.

I've seen LWR many times but they didn't throw away their tent or use ultralight tents. In fact when Claudio had his tent stolen he didn't bunk up in the "2 man" tents but found his own sleeping spot.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue, I want to encourage everyone to take what they are comfortable with but if you are going to do a real expedition you better take a tent you want to use!!!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #87
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

the plan for the tent is to make it for two people.... so I won't have it all alone...
Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #88
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Anyway, I'm not here to argue, I want to encourage everyone to take what they are comfortable with but if you are going to do a real expedition you better take a tent you want to use!!!
Yipes! No one told me!
I traveled in Mex, Cent. Am and S. America for 6 years, never had a tent.
I had a Hammock and Mossie net in warm areas ... once in the Andes I gave the Hammock away.

But I DID have a map, and I DID know what town I was headed toward and spent LOTS of time asking and verifying routes, getting lost and having to double back! (this before GPS)

Rode (rented) motorcycles all over Thailand and Cambodia without a tent as well. But I knew where the next guest house and cold beer were located. Local Contacts are really good!

Camping in most of Latin America is not great and can be dangerous. Anyone who thinks there are going to be camping all through the Andes better read up on some ride reports. A real amateur mistake. There are exceptions of course and S. Chile and Argentina do have good camping. Most regret dragging camping and cooking gear on a motorcycle down there. If you want to camp at Perito Moreno glacier (I did ... with no tent) or at Torres del Paine, rent, borrow or buy when you get there.

I guess the Sahara, Mongolia and other very remote areas would require a tent ... dunno. I have zero desire to see Russia or Mongolia.
Try camping in India! That should be a good laugh!
Working on the bike seriously means finding some sort of town or at least a structure with a covered (and hopefully secure) area to work. A local Taller can be good. Most of the world is full of towns and people. Even in remote areas you can usually get somewhere (as opposed to middle of nowhere) in a day or so. Even if on a back of a truck ... no shame in that. Even in a small town you may find mechanics, welders and surprisingly good Auto parts stores. Smile and be friendly and the world will welcome you with open arms.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 02-02-2011 at 07:39 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #89
Motorfiets OP
Beastly Adventurer

took a vacation... tried these things....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PGcDBMhyvg

but time to check the oil and head home!!

mounted the TT gps mount

next victim in line....

super bright led turn signals....

btw.... turn your hazards on (both blinker switches at once) then turn the key off............. they still keep flashing! lol! hit the cancel... they come off... cool huh?

goodnight!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #90
doktor dare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I'm very intersting in this project...F 800 GS is probably my next bike...so...go on!
doktor dare is offline   Reply With Quote