ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #106
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
New Beckley Route mapped out

ADDED: Second Beckley Loop

OK, I'm starting to get the hang of this GMaps-Pedometer mapmaker program. I laid out a 2-day, 500-mile loop from Beckley north/east through Babcock SP, Cranberry Glades/Highland Scenic Drive, Marlinton, Cass, Green Bank, Spruce Knob, Germany Valley, Smoke Hole, camping at Seneca Rocks (end of Day1), then starting Day 2 with Harman, Davis/ Blackwater Falls, Thomas, Parsons, Elkins, Huttonsville, Webster Springs, Summersville, New River Gorge Bridge (and old bridge route) then finishing up back in Beckley (with lots of bugs on their teeth from grinning the whole trip).

There is a printable, mile-by-mile guide to show the highlights and major intersections. I hope that proves to be a useful feature, since it takes quite a while to type out.

http://www.ridingwv.com/RidingRoutes.htm Click on Beckley Loop #2

Enjoy. More maps to follow, starting with loops from Seneca Rocks and points north.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #107
pnoman OP
Just Average

Petersburg Loop #1 Added

ADDED: Petersburg Loop #1 - A 173-Mile loop north, west, and south of Petersburg. Greenland Gap a scenic ride through a narrow pass in the ridge, through farmland and alongside a creek, on a narrow but freshly paved road. Then climb Rt 42 from Scherr up to Mt Storm on one of the best mountain rides in WV. In Davis, stop at Blackwater Falls, one of WVs most recognized landmarks. Enjoy the twisty road from Davis to Parsons, where you take narrow (paved) Rt 72 through the remote back-county for about 20 miles. Stop at Seneca Rocks and climb to the top for a great view. This is another of WVs most recognized landmarks. Then, head south about 10 miles and climb the narrow, twisty (paved) road up to the summit of Spruce Knob, the highest point in WV. Descend to Judy Gap and ride the twisty Rt 33 up the mountain to the Germany Valley Overlook, one of the best views in the state. Then, explore the famous Smoke Hole Road before returning to Petersburg.

There is a printable, mile-by-mile guide to show the highlights and major intersections. I hope that proves to be a useful feature, since it takes quite a while to type out.

http://www.ridingwv.com/RidingRoutes.htm

Click on Petersburg Loop #1 ** NOTE: the map takes a minute to load - be patient**

More to follow.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 11-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #108
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,833
I've done all that except for Smoke Hole Rd, great ride.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #109
pnoman OP
Just Average

Update: Old Philippi Pike

ADDED: Old Philippi Pike.

This 13-mile back-road goes from Clarksburg partway to Philippi before coming out on Rt 57. Nice old farms and a relaxed, scenic ride after work.

Ride Report: http://www.ridingwv.com/FolderBackro...ilippiPike.htm
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #110
pnoman OP
Just Average

2013 Update

2013 Updates:

1) The "Events" Page is now updated for June 2013. This is the 150th Birthday (Sesquicentennial) of West Virginia's statehood, so there are many festivals and celebrations this month. I tried to pick some that I thought would be interesting to most people. Check them out!

2) I would like to see 2013 be the year this website takes off with more photos and ride reports submitted by readers. You can read how to submit material on the "Contact" Page, or just PM me here at ADV. I will be glad to proofread and edit, so don't worry if you're not the best writer. (Neither am I!) ALSO: IF YOUR GROUP HAS AN EVENT/RIDE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL BE GLAD TO INCLUDE IT IN THE "EVENTS" PAGE.
** The site is now averaging between 2,500 - 3,000 visits per month! If you want your group or event to be seen, this is the place.

3) Please pass the word on this website. It is a non-profit work of love of mine. I only have ads for 2 or 3 businesses, and I do not charge any of them
. I do have expenses for the web host costs, so if you find the site helpful, a donation would be appreciated. I can send you my PayPal info if you're interested. Thanks!

4) There is now a "For Sale" Page for those living in WV or surrounding states. See the "Contact" Page for more information.

Thanks!

www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #111
Porcupine224
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Thanks and Bump....

P,
Thanks for the effort on the WV site.
I hope to contribute to, And, take advantage of your stuff.
It seems roadbowling holds some mystery for me.

P
Porcupine224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #112
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Glad I found this. The GF and I are planning riding in WV the week of the fourth of July.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #113
pnoman OP
Just Average

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla View Post
Glad I found this. The GF and I are planning riding in WV the week of the fourth of July.
Hi! What part of IL are you from? I was stationed at Scott AFB just east of St Louis from 2003-2008. If you look at my site, check out the Retirement Rides I and II (2005 and 2006) that I took from there back to WV.

Hope you submit some photos and/or ride reports when you get back. In the meantime, please feel free to contact me with any questions. I don't pretend to know everything about WV, but I can certainly try to find the answer for you if I don't know the answer.

Later!

www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #114
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Hi! What part of IL are you from? I was stationed at Scott AFB just east of St Louis from 2003-2008. If you look at my site, check out the Retirement Rides I and II (2005 and 2006) that I took from there back to WV.

Hope you submit some photos and/or ride reports when you get back. In the meantime, please feel free to contact me with any questions. I don't pretend to know everything about WV, but I can certainly try to find the answer for you if I don't know the answer.

Later!

I'm up in the NW corner. I flew out of Scott a couple of times going back to the PI on leave. USAF 1983-1988.
I'm sure i'll take planty of pictures.

Thanks for the offer.I just wish I had more time to explore. I'm probably going to have 4-5 days to explore.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #115
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
West Virginia

The wife and I are going to heading out to Fayettville in September on the GSA we are really looking forward to it! any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #116
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon View Post
The wife and I are going to heading out to Fayettville in September on the GSA we are really looking forward to it! any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Mike's site offers some excellent suggestions for rides, places to eat, etc. I'm also going to suggest an excellent book that covers a lot of the area where I think you'll be headed: Motorcycle Journeys Through the Appalachians by Dale Coyner.

Dale is a good friend of mine and his book details many places and routes that are well worth a look.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #117
pnoman OP
Just Average

Ride suggestions

Quote:
Hi. Fayetteville is a good "base camp" for lots of good rides. I would suggest going to the www.RidingWV.com site and checking out the following:

1) Ride Routes Page - The Beckley Route #1 is starts not far from you and covers some of the SE corner of the state. Beckley Route #2 actually comes through Fayetteville - it's a 2-day loop but you can start it at any point. You could come down past Oak Hill and take Rt 61 over to Mile 5, or go north a few miles and take Rt 60 east over to Mile 30 of the loop. ** PLEASE NOTE - The maps take a minute or two to load. Please be patient.

2) On the Street Rides Page, check out the first two rides I did on the Statewide Rides section back in July of 2005 and 2006. I did lots of day trips. Also look at the Eastern Panhandle and Allegheny Mts. sections on that page. ** Almost forgot one right under your nose - the South section of the Street Rides Page has a ride report from the old road under the New River Gorge Bridge. Don't miss that ride since you're right there!

3) The "Destinations" page is a page I have not spent as much time working on as I'd like. There is a list of my "Top 10" destination suggestions at the top, and a few links to do research. Sorry this page is still kind of empty.

4) Check out the Diners Page. If you come all this way and just eat fast food, then . Top of the list is Rella's, which is probably an hour and a half (two if you like to stop and take photos) of great riding away from Fayetteville. Just ride to Webster Springs (NE of F'ville) and go north on Rt 20 about 20 miles to just below Hacker Creek. Search Rella on ADV and you will get lots of hits. She is a feisty great-grandma who runs a diner out of an old-looking trailer by the side of the road, but Golly, she cooks up some great meals and the pies are to die for! Trust me, the first time you see it, you might want to ride right on by, but don't. Linky: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=rella

Well, I hope this helps. Guy's book on the previous post is a good resource for ideas. (Thanks, Guy ) Let me know if you have any other questions. If I don't know the answer, someone else will.

Any other riders out there want to chime in on suggestions, have at it!

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 04:25 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #118
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Appalachians Journeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Mike's site offers some excellent suggestions for rides, places to eat, etc. I'm also going to suggest an excellent book that covers a lot of the area where I think you'll be headed: Motorcycle Journeys Through the Appalachians by Dale Coyner.

Dale is a good friend of mine and his book details many places and routes that are well worth a look.

Thanks for the information Guy I will look into it! We cant wait!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #119
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Riding West Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Hi. Fayetteville is a good "base camp" for lots of good rides. I would suggest going to the www.RidingWV.com site and checking out the following:

1) Ride Routes Page - The Beckley Route #1 is starts not far from you and covers some of the SE corner of the state. Beckley Route #2 actually comes through Fayetteville - it's a 2-day loop but you can start it at any point. You could come down past Oak Hill and take Rt 61 over to Mile 5, or go north a few miles and take Rt 60 east over to Mile 30 of the loop. ** PLEASE NOTE - The maps take a minute or two to load. Please be patient.

2) On the Street Rides Page, check out the first two rides I did on the Statewide Rides section back in July of 2005 and 2006. I did lots of day trips. Also look at the Eastern Panhandle and Allegheny Mts. sections on that page. ** Almost forgot one right under your nose - the South section of the Street Rides Page has a ride report from the old road under the New River Gorge Bridge. Don't miss that ride since you're right there!

3) The "Destinations" page is a page I have not spent as much time working on as I'd like. There is a list of my "Top 10" destination suggestions at the top, and a few links to do research. Sorry this page is still kind of empty.

4) Check out the Diners Page. If you come all this way and just eat fast food, then . Top of the list is Rella's, which is probably an hour and a half (two if you like to stop and take photos) of great riding away from Fayetteville. Just ride to Webster Springs (NE of F'ville) and go north on Rt 20 about 20 miles to just below Hacker Creek. Search Rella on ADV and you will get lots of hits. She is a feisty great-grandma who runs a diner out of an old-looking trailer by the side of the road, but Golly, she cooks up some great meals and the pies are to die for! Trust me, the first time you see it, you might want to ride right on by, but don't. Linky: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=rella

Well, I hope this helps. Guy's book on the previous post is a good resource for ideas. (Thanks, Guy ) Let me know if you have any other questions. If I don't know the answer, someone else will.

Any other riders out there want to chime in on suggestions, have at it!

Thanks Pnoman I will definitely keep your advice in mind I am looking to do 4 days with two hundred mile routes per day, we are very excited about this trip and will check back here often we will also try to download pictures and report on were we went and what we did!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 AM   #120
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Thanks Pnoman I will definitely keep your advice in mind I am looking to do 4 days with two hundred mile routes per day, we are very excited about this trip and will check back here often we will also try to download pictures and report on were we went and what we did!

Thanks - I'm always looking for reader articles and photos. I'm sure other readers would like to see photos and write-ups from someone other than me all the time. LOL
www.RidingWV.com