User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
NCStephen OP
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,871
NC Foothills Ride May 21

Yeah I know there are a lot of pictures here to load but I liked the places they captured. Also there aren’t a lot of real purdy scenic pictures of trees and valleys and bikes. I kept riding rather than stopping. Also I must apologize for the missing food pictures. Breakfast was a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit from Liberty Restaurant in Lewisville ( Take a picture of a McDonalds one, add mustard, put it on a real dish and real glass filled with OJ and that’s it. Lunch was a hotdog with mustard slaw and onions and some chips. Most likely you have seen those before and ridden with those that had. I was alone the rest of the trip so the onions weren’t a bother as I could keep the face shield cracked)

The on bike camera was set up wrong so some of the awesome places that were ridden were after the camera cut off each time. Oh well. That’s a good reason to ride it again.

This was a foothills trip with just a quick foray into the mountains to check on the ADV Eastern Rendezvous . There I found the Airhead GS riders hard at work while others were out riding. There was some excellent teaching going on.

The ride began in Hillsborough at 7:30 AM and I thought some folks were going to meet up with me but they didn’t, No one from ADV, I-BMW, BMWMOA, or BMWST, Guess I ride a bit far and a bit slow and thus have to start a bit early. The BMW R-CL there at the start was just there, never saw the rider. Burned 4 lane roads( I 40 and US 421 for 130 miles) with breakfast along the way and then met another Wilkes County native, RED F. He rode a ways with me until we happened upon his old riding buddies and they went off to play in the dirt together. But I guess I need to put the narrative together.

Once past the 4 lanes and meeting Fred, we rode some of old 421 back towards Boone. Where that ended we ran up to and rode across Fall Creek Rd.. This wound around back towards Parsonville and then we headed across near Purlear to Vannoy. We ran up old 16 to get to the parkway. Wow what a delightful ride!. It ended with a 5 mile climb up the mountain on packed gravel. I found that to be enjoyable on the K-RS as well.

Once on the parkway, we passed a group of riders heading off on a dirt road. We stopped and it was a bunch of folks from the ADV group, including folks I had met in Asheville (Cuttle, Johnnymac, and others). These were Fred’s ole buddies so he took his knobbies and went off to play with them. (What are the chances that we would happen upon them in the few moments they stopped there and that we would stop to check them out?). So I rode on down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Laurel Springs and checked out the ADV group.

Most of that group were out riding EXCEPT the BWM airhead GS contingent. They were doing a tech session. Notice in the pix the teaching even included how to hold your mouth just right to get things fitted again. Teacher even had students modeling that part. That bike had needed a throwout bearing repair and had a clogged carburetor.

I lingered there and then had lunch at Freebornes there in Laurel Springs and then headed back down the mountain via NC 18. At the bottom hung a left onto Long Bottom Rd over to Traphill and Stone Mountain. Then a quick trip across Oklahoma Rd (why is there a NC mountain road named that?) to Roaring Gap. This then made for a quick trip down 21 (other than the skate boarder enjoying the long down hill) (side notes This is part of the road used in the filming of the movie “Thunder Road” back about 1960. Another part was around Lake Toxaway with the final crash at the powerplant on 107 east of Cullowhee) Once down the mountain to Thurmond I grabbed Haystack rd back up towards 89. This had 2 miles of dirt that had been recently graded so was pretty coarse and rough and loose. I had to take my time on this part. This dirt part ends at the little community of Devotion, NC.

Leaving Haystack Road is where I began the part of heading east again towards home. I rode over to Pilot Mountain, the town near the mountain, then Moores Spring and Hanging Rock. Time was getting short so rode 8 up to VA and then through the country to Horse Pasture and then home just in time for some good BBQ with a best friend, 10.5 hrs and 410 miles later. (as it was I lingered too long at a few places so some parts of the route were saved till next time)

The non major roads were all a delight even as they were different. Hopefully you can get some of the texture of them from the pictures. They ranged from loose gravel to packed gravel to coarse paving over the dirt road beds, to marginally maintained county roads to well groomed ones to state highways. The variety always kept the ride interesting. It was an awesome ride and I still have some places around there to explore. Company is always welcomed if you want to ride along.

NCS

On the way up from Hllsborough to meeting RED F at 421 and 16 near Millers Creek. 4 lanes are 4 lanes but they did begin to have some hilly flavor.

Up Fish Dam Rd and old 421, Fall Creek, New Hope, Shingles Gap, 16, Old 16 to BRPW and the chance meet up

Around the Eastern Rendezvous Please take note that it is important to have your mouth just right when reassembling, 4th pic

Down the mountain on 18, then Long Bottom Rd over to Traphill and Stone Mountain, then Oklahoma Rd over to 21 and down to Thurmond and Haystack Rd to Devotion

Downtown Devotion, both ways

Pilot Mountain, Moore Springs, Hanging Rock

76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.

NCStephen screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 12:49 PM
NCStephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,931
Cool Ride! Hate I missed you at the ER ... some of the pics show we were there at the same time.

Look forward to riding with you sometime.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Thanks for sharing

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
DEPARKER1817
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
kOOL Pictures, NC Stephen

Great pictures. I hate I missed this trip. I was riding up in the Asheville area.
I forgot, what kind of camera were you using...........and how was haystack road?
DEPARKER1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
NCStephen OP
Riding NC

It was much like the ride you joined me on.
Haystack road was good. I would do it again. The gravel portion was loose so slow for me, very slow for many, 10-20 mph. Much of it closer to 10 as there really weren't any packed clear track lanes.
The best road was Old 16. The paved part was just enjoyable on so many levels. The dirt was relaxed and very doable.
The camera is a Pentax Optio W**** You can see that some of the off bike pictures are much sharper. Those were taken with an older Fujifilm dslr LIKE, camera. My only real compliant about the Pentax is that landscape pictures never have a crispness to them. Still it does a nice duty of being out in the elements and snapping pictures all during the day.

Hope to ride with you again.
NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Ernbo6
Ernbo6

Oddometer: 75
Thanks for Posting

I enjoyed your many pics, and the details of your cameras. Great ride and it looked like the weather was great too. See you on the road. My wife and I are going two up along the Blue Ridge in July.
Ernbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
IndiaPaleAle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Awesome!
IndiaPaleAle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
NCS, they are great pictures. I am really sorry I missed it. Now that I have a crampbuster, and the bike is running decently, I hope to make the next one.
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
very much enjoyed it
thanks for sharing
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,121
Good pics, nice details. Glad you could get the ride report in, next time get my better half!
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
NCStephen OP
Riding NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnymac View Post
Good pics, nice details. Glad you could get the ride report in, next time get my better half!
Your better half was along? Why didn't you introduce me?
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0