User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
An NZ Adventure

I have been meaning to put up a thread on my two rides through and around New Zealand for some time. In January and Feb 07 I spent a total of four weeks riding both the South and North Islands, including the 'South Island Passes Ride' put up by Jantar, Duck01 and Fleethaul etc.

This thread is largely my first week in NZ spent with my 11yo daughter as she was the pillion in a million on our new BMW GS1200 Adventure...

I hope you guys enjoy our ride as much as we did. This was a great bonding experience between father and daughter and I can highly recommend NZ as a destination as the people are friendly and the scenery spectacular!

Thanks...

The bike was shipped over to NZ by 'GET ROUTED' aka Dave Milligan. Dave and his crew are experts at this. He provides you with a NO BULLSHIT list of things to do to have your bike ready to ship. His fees (around $1500) include return shipping to Christchurch, NZ rego and road worthyness ticket. This pic is of Dave with the mighty Pig at pick up...

My daughter 'M' and I spent a day in Christchurch getting the bike ready and seeing a bit before heading out over to the west coast via Arthurs Pass. M picked up a mascot who rode with us and kept company for the trip..

I do like New Zealand Beer

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
lowrpm
Tar Baby

Oddometer: 1,344
G'donya. Keep it coming. I would love to get my bike and my wife to NZ for a bit. Of a ride I mean. Oh yeah, and some food/wine.
lowrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

I particularly wanted to show M the South Island as I had spent a bit of time there climbing over the past 20 years. Later in the trip I was able to show her some of my climb route's as we flew over the Fox and Franz Joseph Glaciers in a chopper... However one of my fave places is CASTLE HILL ROCKS on the way over Arthurs Pass. We were stopped for a few hours at Sheffield due to a multi car pile up and fatality a few kays up the road. We considered riding on gravel up via Mt Hutt but in hindsight I was glad I waited as the fog was like pea soup and this would have been too much for M on her first real day as Pillion #1.

Leaving Christchurch...

Here it was sunny but just a few miles/kays ahead you couldn't see three feet in front of you!

The Dali Lama once stated that Castle Hill Rocks was one of the most spiritually significant places on earth! It truly is a magnificent formation of rocks and caves which for thousands of years provided shelter to the Mauri who travelled form the wet West coast to the plains of the East coast..

Here you can see the fog we rode through to get up to Castle Hill Rocks and over the Pass... NZ is a country of unpredictable weather and from one minute to the next the temps can go from 30 degress C (86F - 50F) down to 10 degrees C and from sunny to rain or fog...

Back on the road...

And up and over Arthurs Pass...

One of these buggers... OVERSIZED PESKY PARROTS!!! Later ate a hole in my pillion seat when we parked the bike and went trekking. They are known to shred the rubber off wipers and windshield surrounds and I should have known better!

It was raining by the time we got to Greymouth and my poor pillion was frozen through. On her first day of riding with her old man we had experienced a 7 car pile up in fog.. Breaking through the clouds into the high country.. Met a giant Kea Parrot.. Got soaked through and travelled from the East Coast to the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand! All in a days ride!!

Old 05-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

The South Island of NZ is an island of single lane bridges... some 500 meters long!... And some you even share with TRAINS!!!

On to Hokitika, Fox and the Glacier country. Hokitika ('Ross' to be precise) was where i got my first ever speeding ticket on two wheels! I was so mesmerised by the countryside and the little villages I got pinged for doing 80 in a 50 zone... Only a few hundred meters to the National Highway speed of 100. Radar detectors are quite legal in NZ so if you are coming from the States bring one over. they are illegal in Australia.

SteveRed screwed with this post 05-18-2007 at 02:10 AM
Old 05-04-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
Outstanding You do live in paradise, I'm sure you realize it

p.s. what brand is that Darth Vader helmet?
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

However the cops are quite polite and friendly... I told M to take photo's and smile at the nice police officer doing his job He wrote the ticket down so I didn't have to stop my holiday, and all I had to do was pay a fine at the next bank I came across and no other penalty

Loved these chairs made up of Flotsum and Jetsom and driftwood scavenged off the beach...

For a few days the weather was wild and unpredictable...

The bike up to the task!!

And Shelter never far!

Rather than camp we mostly stayed in Caravan Parks, B&B's and the odd Motel.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:14 AM   #7
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

They don't have Kangaroos in nZ but they do have Deer! Though mostly farmed for meat and fenced in.

Fox & Franz Joseph Glaciers is two of the only glaciers that are currently growing. Though you can see by signage placed on the entry to the park that less than 100 years ago the glaciers were much more advanced than they are today. They receded then a few years back started growing again..

We took a walk as far up to the glacier as we could and once again got caught in the rain!

You can see M as an ant at the base of the waterfall... On the West coast of NZ they have up to 14 meters of precipitation per year in some places (Thats 45 feet!!)

Another bike pic

DANGER DAANGER!!!!

And one for dramatic effect!!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Outstanding You do live in paradise, I'm sure you realize it

p.s. what brand is that Darth Vader helmet?
That is a SHARK Helmet Obiwan!!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

NZ being such a young country in relative terms... It is easy to see the dramatic effect of nature everywhere you look..

Old 05-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #10
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

The next day we rode from FJ to Fox to take a helicopter ride up onto the glacier... I was able to show M some of my climb routes up onto Tasman and Mt Cook. She was suitably unimpressed

A Bit Blurry but this is Pioneer Hut where I staged my assent on Mt Tasman back in the late 90's

Mount Tasman... To the right there is a rock face. To the left of that is a Col just before the first Mount which then steps down and then up to Tasman... We bivvy'd in a snow cave on that Col before a midnight climb start and a 9am summit. Back to the Hut in 17 hours. Last year 9 climbers were killed on Tasman and Cook.

But my little Angel was far too busy making her own Snow Angels to be mildly interested in that

Lunch back in Fox before hitting the road to Wanaka!

See you again tommorrow for the next exciting installment of our little NZ Adventure... Goodnight

Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 AM   #11
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

So here I am thinking???? What sort of chair can I make with this bit of drift wood? Will it fit on the back of the bike?

The West coast is very wild and exotic.. It was quite isloated for many years until a road was forged along the coast. Until then everything was brought in by steamer and rowed into shore... Do you remember the movie 'The Piano'?

More rocky shore than sandy beach... unlike the East coast!

The road up from Haast is a bikers dream run. Turn after turn as it wends its way up into the mountains where it eventually hits the high lake country. If you pick your time of day you can avoid the plethora of motorhomes and campervans that dawdle along at a snails pace.

One of the bridges over the Haast...

Lake country..,

Finally we found some dirt roads to explore as M became more comfortable o the bike...

Old 05-05-2007, 01:38 AM   #12
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

Wanaka is one of my favorite towns in NZ. Many prefer the hustle and bustle of Queenstown which attracts movie stars and anyone who wants to pretend they are in Zurich. Wanaka is more laid back and not quite as expensive.

Here we are in the Prehistoric Playground... I sometimes forget my daughter is only just 11. Fortunately she is a young 11 and not one of these girls 10 going on 15. They grow up too fast these days!

The Crown Range Road is one of the sweetest bike roads and runs from Wanaka to Queenstown up over the ranges. As you come over the pass and down into Queenstown you hit switchback after switchback...

Queenstown is a real tourist Mecca and full of exotic birdlife or Euro trash depending how you look at it

I did say birdlife didn't I!?

It is a lakeside town that attracts hordes of skiiers in winter. Since the Lord of the Rings triology Real Estate prices have doubled. Winnies is my favorite cafe with a roof that opens out on a sunny day.

We caught the Gondola up to the lookout. M was too young to bungy jump and as we had already taken the heli ride up over the Glacier we had spent our thrill money... Or so we had thought!

The view over Queenstown was awesome. The last time I was here we parasailed off the top back down to the lakeside but the luge had taken over!!

Finally M had her own set of wheels

With her own switchbacks to deal with... FUN FUN FUN!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:47 AM   #13
SteveRed OP
Adventure Mojo

Yep I loe NZ... We rode back to Christchurch in a mad rush with temps jumping from a pleasant 26 down to 9 degrees C and the rain settling in. A few more gravel roads and a side trip to Mount Cook. Unfortunately I broke my camera just after this photo was taken so you will have to wait for my next Ride Report of my three weeks solo touring... Well, with a little help from Hotshock from LA and the Kiwi Riders who joined us for the South Island Passes ride.

Last photo's...

All in all a nice place to settle down!!

Cheers guys! Hope you enjoyed the report...

Old 05-05-2007, 02:35 AM   #14
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 732
Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it. The West Coast is brilliant on a sunny day.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:37 AM   #15
upshift
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Awesome!!

Great report SteveRed and excellent photos, looks like you both had a great trip. The Crown Range road is a good ride though I was a bit disappointed to find it is now all tar seal when I was down that way myself in February.
Gotta watch the keas alright, it's amazing what they will shred as soon as you turn your back on them. Suprisingly you can put a bit of butter on the end your end of your finger and they will approach and gently lick it off, but very few people are game to try it!
And 30Km/H over the limit eh? For us locals anyway that is also 35 demerit points. Collect a 100 demerit points in 2 years and it's 3 month loss of license.
upshift is offline   Reply With Quote