Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 01:07 AM   #271
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,293
More track pics Finn!

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #272
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post
Great pic, look like she's having a great time . Is the camera on her helmet the same one you were using when you had your misfortune?

Yeah, I have no doubt there's a huge smile under that helmet as she's complaining about sore face muscles today!

And yes, that is THE camera that delivered that fateful video.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #273
jazzdrum69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
can't see the video for some reason...it says it is a vimeo plus feature or something. Glad you're OK. Great thread!!! and photos.
jazzdrum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #274
jiml8
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wow!

That's all I can say. Wow. Glad you are recovering.

Bikes are great. Riding is a joy. But make no mistake; if ANYTHING goes wrong...mechanical, rider error...anything, you stand to get hurt.

Me, I have two bikes, a Vstrom 1000 and a touring bike. I've dropped the Strom any number of times in difficult off-road conditions, but always under circumstances where I knew it might happen and I was prepared.

Up until 5 Feb of this year, my touring bike was a Yamaha Venture. On 5 Feb, I hit a car with my Venture, totaling it and leaving myself face down on the road unconscious for roughly 20-30 minutes. It was my fault. I wasn't pushing any limits, just on a routine ride, and I misjudged a situation. I thought I had the right of way when I didn't. I've been riding for 40 years and never thought I'd do something like that. But it happened. I did.

I was wearing a full-face helmet (which was damaged in the crash), a leather jacket, a leather vest under the jacket, gauntlets, boots, and jeans. I came out of it with a concussion, a crack in my left thumb, hyperextension damage to all joints in my left hand (I must have gotten it over my head when I was flying), and abrasions on both knees through the jeans, but no tear in the jeans.

I got an ambulance ride and was treated and released. All I can say is: "All the right gear, all the time."

My new touring bike is a K1200LT.
jiml8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #275
jiml8
n00b

Oddometer: 3
oh, and also...

Why didn't that engine cut out when that bike went down? It should have done so.
jiml8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #276
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8 View Post
Why didn't that engine cut out when that bike went down? It should have done so.
Why would it? These bikes don't have auto-shut down switches when tipped over...

Most times when I've tipped over my 12GS the rear wheel is off the ground and the motor continues to run

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #277
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 831
Well I am so glad that you are Okl. Horrible crash .....Looking at it ....the only thing that came to my mind is ....what else I should get for protection.....

At the end after I understood that you are ok.......sorry for the bike...to bad....
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:15 AM   #278
RubberNeckin
bOObs

Oddometer: 24
Shit dude, that was a bad scene man. I am so stoked that you were able to.... well walk away from that!!!!!! I got two holes in my left leg from a compound that I got years ago, and my crash does not even come close to yours. You got a good buddy looking out for you for sure man, hope you get back to normal soon.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #279
Karel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
I was cruising along on I-10 heading west totally content, watching the miles countdown on the Garmin 660 to the campground. 160, 150, 140...
It was around 55F and sunny, a real slice of paradise compared to the beginning of my journey, or Chicago in the last month for that matter.
So many things going through my head, mostly still wondering why I had left.
I mean, I knew why as I said, but there must be more to it?
I think it was the feeling trapped part that did it.
No, more so the jobs.
Why am I so selfish?

ABS

What the hell? (daydreaming, poof, gone)

ABS

Why is my ABS light on?

ABS

I knew why but didn't want to believe it.

ABS

So, it's not the battery.

Could I be wrong, maybe all the salt has messed with the sensors?.....

5 minutes go by.

10 minutes go by.

I then look down to see the gauges were off, and I had no signals once again.
There was no doubt something wrong in my charging system with this new found data.

Well, I decided it was best to keep moving towards Houston while I could, but eventually the bike started to sputter, luckily right as an exit was coming up..... I made it into yet another gas station right as the bike died.

This time I called Gulf Coast BMW, talked with Tammy and fully explained my situation, and my mileage.... she put me on hold "to see what she could do"....

It was around 3:00 PM.

She came back on to let me know that they were going to stay at the shop that closed at 6, with a tech, until I got there to sort me out and get me back on the road!
They were closed on Sunday and Monday, it is Saturday night.
I immediately knew I had gotten lucky and happened upon a great mom and pop BMW shop.
Being thoughtful and throughout she gave me her cell number so I could reach her after hours to coordinate.
I was also told how the bike won't make it all the way there with no charge happening, so the plan was to get a jump and continue on the best I could, then deal with the rest of the way when the time came.

The dealer might come get me if I'm close enough...

I might get on ADV regional forum to ask for help.

There's BMW roadside assistance, but with 47,000 miles on my 09' GS I'm way out of warranty...

What ever, I'll figure it out.

I'm about 200 miles from Houston.

Another kind soul helped me and I got the bike started, this time disconnecting the headlight to squeeze as many miles out of it as I could.

Getting back on the road I just hauled ass around 90mph, getting myself around 35 miles closer before she started to die, again, luckily I made it down a ramp and into a truck stop with my as of lately, usual, rolling in on a fancy, dirty, dead motorbike.

How totally uncool, kind of like when you trip on nothing and then quickly look around to see who was looking and now laughing....

This time I really had killed the battery, and no jump would help.
I was 165 miles from the dealer, too far for them to come get me, though she did offer a # for a tow service. Seeing as I'm unemployed, and on a very limited budget thought I'd explore other options before I paid big bucks for a long miles tow...

I was on my own.
Same thing happened to me two days ago. I was able to limp back almost all the way to dealer, but I was about two miles short when the battery was dead. Called the dealer and they came to pick me up. No I am waiting for a new generator to be replaced. I am glad that this happened at 34,400 miles on the clock. If this happened about Month later and I would have to pay at least $1000.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #280
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,950
Joe I assumed you're all healed up by now? Hope all is well, missing reading your posts, what's been the latest adventure , or you back on a job to make a little $$