Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #2791
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,867
Hey Mikesova

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Didn't think of that, thanks for the tip. I'll grab some scotch brite pads.
About those weeping rocker gaskets, they all do that. I bought mine from the dealer. They have been upgraded to a rubber type and were of good quality at a reasonable price. The rocker arms have to be removed in order to remove the rocker box spacer. Quite easy to do, but it's nice to have a service manual laying there when you do it. As for those shitty two ton wheels, I acid wash mine with purple power cleaner or a/c coil cleaner. Dont let it sit too long before you rinse and only do a small section at a time.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #2792
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
About those weeping rocker gaskets, they all do that. I bought mine from the dealer. They have been upgraded to a rubber type and were of good quality at a reasonable price. The rocker arms have to be removed in order to remove the rocker box spacer. Quite easy to do, but it's nice to have a service manual laying there when you do it. As for those shitty two ton wheels, I acid wash mine with purple power cleaner or a/c coil cleaner. Dont let it sit too long before you rinse and only do a small section at a time.
downloading the manual as we speak. Hey you're in MI. Howdy!

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #2793
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

So, the baffles on this bike have been gutted. I figured I'd be able to find a stock replacement pipe pretty easily due to Harley owners love of louder aftermarket exhaust, but eBay doesn't offer much. I'd like to keep the 2 into 1 header and just replace the slip on (cheaply), any ideas?

Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #2794
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
So, the baffles on this bike have been gutted. I figured I'd be able to find a stock replacement pipe pretty easily due to Harley owners love of louder aftermarket exhaust, but eBay doesn't offer much. I'd like to keep the 2 into 1 header and just replace the slip on (cheaply), any ideas?
Try posting your needs in the WTS, WTB, WTT thread, in the subforum for your model bike, over on xlforum. Lot's of guys (like me) just stash old parts back and never bother trying to sell them on ebay. But, some guys will sell things if someone actually ask for them. I've had luck finding a few things on there and generally for a good bit less than the same items on ebay. If you're looking for stock exhaust parts, they're out there since, like you said, most Harley owners install aftermarket. I have several sets of stock exhausts, from various bikes, stashed in my attic. I never sell my stuff though...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #2795
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Hit some swap meets and rallies, Mike.

You'll find all kinds of stuff lying around for cheap, when it comes to sporty parts. You'll also broaden your local network by getting to know some people who are into these bikes and have stuff salted back for rainy days.

I still have airhead and 305 scrambler parts I haven't used in years, but they're only for trade to people I like. I don't even mention them. I wait until someone I know needs something and then I give it to them for a beer.
I'm not unique in this respect.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #2796
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
What brand exhaust is it? This is also likely part of your rough idle comment from the original post. The idle needs to be set at 1100-1200 rpm. Some Harley guys like to set their idle too low for that "sound." These bikes have an odd firing order and need a little more flywheel inertia to carry them through. What do the plugs look like?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #2797
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What brand exhaust is it? This is also likely part of your rough idle comment from the original post. The idle needs to be set at 1100-1200 rpm. Some Harley guys like to set their idle too low for that "sound." These bikes have an odd firing order and need a little more flywheel inertia to carry them through. What do the plugs look like?
Not only that, but the Sportster needs more RPM to maintain adequate oiling. Set it too low trying to get "that sound" of a big twin and you risk oil starvation damage.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #2798
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
^My 883 is so "traditional" that it doesn't have a tach, although I don't set it at a "death idle", I am guessing.
I've been thinking of adding a tach - anyone have a recommendation?
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #2799
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's the stock exhaust from the 883R. I think the original owner swapped some parts with an 883R. My bike was supposed to come with dual exhaust and forward controls. Now it has the 2 into 1s and mids, which I'm totally fine with.

I did turn up the idle a little bit myself, the first day I got it. I haven't checked the plugs yet.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #2800
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^My 883 is so "traditional" that it doesn't have a tach, although I don't set it at a "death idle", I am guessing.
I've been thinking of adding a tach - anyone have a recommendation?
Depends on the model and what you're looking for. H-D has a really good one for late model bikes (like my 48) that replaces the factory speedo. It changes the speedo to a digital readout and has an analog tach, along with a few other bells and whistles, while fitting in the same housing and bracket as the original speedo. Not the cheapest option, but it appears to be of good quality and simplifies mounting while keeping the clean lines of the bike. Not sure which model years it'll work with.

I did a bit of research on tachs a while back, and while I don't remember what was what, I do know that the HD unit was what I settled on, when and if I decide to add one.

If you don't mind a digital readout, there's a small one that can be mounted to the back of the brake fluid reservoir. It gets good reviews but just wasn't what I was looking for. I can't even remember it's name now, but if you do a search on xlforum for "mini tach" or some such you'll find threads about it.

But, if you're only interested in using it for setting idle there are lots of cheaper options available. They may not have the best response time, etc. but that isn't important for just adjusting idle, and you don't even have to worry about mounting it for that purpose.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #2801
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Cheapo tacho meter

I betcha this is what Randy is talking about. I have one in my tool box.
http://www.trailtech.net/tto.html
Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #2802
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I betcha this is what Randy is talking about. I have one in my tool box.
http://www.trailtech.net/tto.html
Yeah, something like that's what I had in mind for just a cheap way to set idle.

And THIS is what I was talking about with the small, higher quality digital unit. Seems like they work well, from what I've read, but I have no personal experience.

And HERE'S the more pricey HD factory combo unit.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #2803
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
It's the stock exhaust from the 883R. I think the original owner swapped some parts with an 883R. My bike was supposed to come with dual exhaust and forward controls. Now it has the 2 into 1s and mids, which I'm totally fine with.

I did turn up the idle a little bit myself, the first day I got it. I haven't checked the plugs yet.
Check the HD parts fisch. you may be able to order a new baffel insert. Check for different part #'s for 1200 though. Bet they're different.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #2804
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Check the HD parts fisch. you may be able to order a new baffel insert. Check for different part #'s for 1200 though. Bet they're different.
Can't say for that particular exhaust, but most HD mufflers have none removable baffles. A lot of people modify them in different ways, drilling them, grinding and cutting them out, etc, but generally it isn't a replaceable part from HD.

BUT, I have read several different threads about modifying factory exhausts on HD's. On some I've seen people take the stock baffle out, drill more holes in the tube, flair the ends a bit so that it fits after being cut out with a hole saw, and then welding them back in place. Search for "Gronk mod" on xlforum. I've also see where someone removed the stock baffle, bought a cheap aftermarket replacement baffle, took it to a muffler shop and had them flair it out and install it into the stock muffler housing. Most of these mods aren't too difficult if you're mechanical. So, while you may not be able to replace it back to factory, you very likely could get an aftermarket baffle fitted to it cheap enough. Depending on how loud it is now, and how much quieter you want it, you could also make and install a "lollipop". They'll cut some of the bark, and more importantly break up the inversion wave that could cause a hole in your midrange. Open "drag" pipes are only good for one thing. Well, two if you count making a lot of noise, but as far as performance goes they only help at high RPM (which is fine for drag racing, but so much for a street ridden bike) while hurting everywhere else. Lollipops in drag pipes, or other open pipes, can help restore the lost power in the lower RPM ranges.

I'd look into adding a baffle before I spent the money on a new exhaust. That is unless you want it really quiet and can find a cheap used stock replacement.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #2805
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
There are no removable baffles in stock H-D mufflers that I'm aware of. The standard staggered dual 1200 and 883 exhausts are the same, but the 2-1 came only on the pre-rubbermount 883R.
83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote