Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 02:43 AM   #1
Erez1984 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
handlebars hight fitment to the rider.

Hello all.
Iv changed the original handlebars on my bike (it was crap) to aftermarket ones (renthal rc high) with adapters from 22MM to fatbar (28MM).
After installing and riding standing up it feels a little low as i bent forward in a way i dont feel very safe to ride offroad in, so iv ordered adjusable risers.

Before I start the hights testings my questions are - is there a preferred body angles i should go by? im shure the is but i dont know them.
Or is it just my individual comfort i shuold go by?

Thanks.
Erez1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:54 AM   #2
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erez1984 View Post
is there a preferred body angle
The angle that I lean forward depends on what I'm riding on and how fast. Also true of arms and knees.

On slow enough lumps I'll be standing. Smoother but soft I'll sit forward and upright. On pavement I'll move back on the seat a bit and lean forward more as speed increases. On a highway my butt will be farther back and I'll lean forward more.

I don't know that any of those are "right" but they work for me. I think they're typical.

The handlebars aren't in the perfect place for every seating position, but they're close enough most of the time.

I don't see any motorcycles listed in your profile so I have no idea what you're riding.

Grinnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,183
The general rule of thumb is get the bars up to where you can stand up with your knees straight, body position slightly forward. You can ride in this standing position all day with less fatigue. The seat on a dirt bike is not for sitting. For me I added 2 inch Rox risers, perfect.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Erez1984 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
The general rule of thumb is get the bars up to where you can stand up with your knees straight, body position slightly forward. You can ride in this standing position all day with less fatigue. The seat on a dirt bike is not for sitting. For me I added 2 inch Rox risers, perfect.
Thats makes sence and thats the info i was looking for.
Thanks a lot both of you guys
Old 09-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Comfort is usually the first priority for people but handling is enhanced as your weight is moved over the front forks. .
That is why super cross bikes have the seat all the way to the fork tripple clamps. I'm 6'1" and do not use risers on either my dirt bikes (wr450f) or my adventure bike (xc800)...
Old 09-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,246
Peg to seat distance makes a difference too. It's easier to cycle thru the stand-sit -stand thing if the peg to seat distance fits. Sometimes lowering pegs works as well as raising bars.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,836
Quote:

They've been building off road bikes for midgets all these years!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post

They've been building off road bikes for midgets all these years!
Go figure, the guy is from Ohio...
Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,836
Quote:
Go figure, the guy is from Ohio...
Apparently we know more here... Nice to know your IQ!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
Erez1984 OP
Adventurer

Updates.
Installed RFX risers, used 30 mm rise from 35mm optionall in the set.

Resaults are that the offroad handeling is a little better but on the road my hands are numb after 15 min.

Next Iv installed Vibranator ( http://www.vibranator.com/product_p/...7-n07-t150.htm). high costs but hoped it'll be different from just handlebars wheights. Well I was wrong, they didnt improve nothing.

Today i road highway for 40 min in various speeds and 4 houres offroad. my hands are still getting numb after a few minuts and allsow in offroad riding, that i didnt expected.

Currently i dont know what to do next. Maybe ill rise the handlbar with the rest 5mm i have and take the handlebar more towards me.

Any suggestions will be grate.

Sorry for my bad english.

Erez1984 screwed with this post 10-11-2014 at 12:49 PM
Old 10-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,035
The angle of the bars can cramp your wrists and cause numbness too. My arms hurt on my WRR until I got bars with less angle at the ends.
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
Erez1984 OP
Adventurer

My wrists arent cramped riding on road sitting and not offraod standing up.
When im riding on road my hands are numb very fast but the wrists are in a straight up angle.
When im standing on the bike upright fully straight looking forward i cant reach the bars with the hands, missing about 1/2 inch or so, wich makes me lean forward and look down instead of looking forward. maybe the 35 mm risers i put on arent enough.
So far no lead to improove those frustrating problems.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
On my BMW, I have ROX risers.
Where I originally set them, I had the same problem you are with vibration and numbness.
I changed the angle slightly at the recommendation of ROX and it nearly all went away.
Something to do with harmonics and I picked the right spot apparently.
You can't adjust the angle I don't think but try putting in the 30mm and see if it's different.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Erez1984 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
On my BMW, I have ROX risers.
Where I originally set them, I had the same problem you are with vibration and numbness.
I changed the angle slightly at the recommendation of ROX and it nearly all went away.
Something to do with harmonics and I picked the right spot apparently.
You can't adjust the angle I don't think but try putting in the 30mm and see if it's different.
Thanks for the answer mate.
What hight are the risers that you baught?
Rox have a few models of risers, wich one did you got? maybe a link or if you have a spare time a pic of your handlebar with the risers angles would help.
Do you ride allso offroad?
As for the 30 mm - that was the last test i did onroad and offroad. it killed my armes. today iv added the rest 5mm plate for a total of 35mm and tomorrow ill know if it did something.

Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #15
Erez1984 OP
Adventurer

Decided to save some time. did a little reserch. ordered ROX 2' pivoting risers.
Hopefully itll make a difference.