User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Troy_V OP
Ace

Oddometer: 71
KLR Fork Springs - stiffest available?

I have a Cogent MOAB shock on the back of my Gen 1 KLR. Up front, I replaced the fork springs with the heaviest Race Tech springs I could find, 0.52 kg/mm.

I was at Moab a few weeks ago and I was often bottoming out my forks. When I replaced my fork springs, I also changed the fork oil, measured the correct amount of new oil, and installed new fork seals.

The Race Tech website recommends 0.694 kg/mm fork springs for my height/weight/riding style. The problem is, the 0.52 kg/mm fork springs that I have now are the heaviest I can find. Can someone point me toward some heavier fork springs closer to the 0.694 kg/mm weight that the Race Tech calculator recommends for me?
'02 Tuono R (#169/200)
'02 KLR650
'02 VFR800
'99 CBR600 Track whore
Troy_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,990
Konflict in the vendor section can get you some custom wound springs.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 645
The cogent Moab springs are dual rate .6 kg

We do customs also.

NC Rick screwed with this post 05-03-2015 at 10:31 AM
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,868
what proper amount of oil? the book says 190mm but "everyone knows" that 170mm (the original oil level when it was a 600) gives a much more firm ride. I used to do a lot of KLR tech days & set forks to 170 with 10-15 psi air on top. every owner was happy. the more oil you add, the less air you will have in the fork and dive will be reduced. you can tune by adding oil 10cc at a time through the air valves. remove the whole valve, not just the core. because of the diameter of the forks, 1cc oil is very close to 1mm change in oil level. I have run KLR fork oil level as high as 40mm (yes, 40, not 140). try that before spending money other than valves. in my opinion, best thing you can do for the forks is Ricor valves (Gold valves are good too, but are more work). the Ricors just drop in.... pull the spring, drop in the valve, add oil, install the spring & done. they want 5 wt. oil, I use a 50/50 mix of ATF and Marvel at about 100mm

I always tell people to forget new springs.... spend that money on the valves
Old 05-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
Troy_V OP
Ace

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
what proper amount of oil? the book says 190mm but "everyone knows" that 170mm (the original oil level when it was a 600) gives a much more firm ride. I used to do a lot of KLR tech days & set forks to 170 with 10-15 psi air on top. every owner was happy. the more oil you add, the less air you will have in the fork and dive will be reduced. you can tune by adding oil 10cc at a time through the air valves. remove the whole valve, not just the core. because of the diameter of the forks, 1cc oil is very close to 1mm change in oil level. I have run KLR fork oil level as high as 40mm (yes, 40, not 140). try that before spending money other than valves. in my opinion, best thing you can do for the forks is Ricor valves (Gold valves are good too, but are more work). the Ricors just drop in.... pull the spring, drop in the valve, add oil, install the spring & done. they want 5 wt. oil, I use a 50/50 mix of ATF and Marvel at about 100mm

I always tell people to forget new springs.... spend that money on the valves
Beezer - thanks for the info. I installed 170mm oil, 10 wt, and 0psi air. I'll look into the Ricors. Thanks for your advice!
'02 Tuono R (#169/200)
'02 KLR650
'02 VFR800
'99 CBR600 Track whore
Troy_V is offline   Reply With Quote