DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #227
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
whats it like in the sand/mud?
Might find out Sunday, at least the mud bit.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #228
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
So did you find out?
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #229
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
So did you find out?
Maybe, 434 kms today, puddles, wet ruts, some moist clay and black soil sections, so slippery in places, but no real slop. Worked well again. I cranked it over a bit more on the bitumen too, and no complaints either, no sqirming at all. And it really does find grip on loose gravel, where it really impresses.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #230
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Maybe, 434 kms today, puddles, wet ruts, some moist clay and black soil sections, so slippery in places, but no real slop. Worked well again. I cranked it over a bit more on the bitumen too, and no complaints either, no sqirming at all. And it really does find grip on loose gravel, where it really impresses.
sounds like it suits the DR650 really well
Old 08-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #231
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
sounds like it suits the DR650 really well
Except they don't list a 17", I've got an 18" on my DR remember. Still gotta do some time in the rocks, maybe this weekend. I'm still not convinced about the low sidewall height either. It has a stiff sidewall, and if it didn't, would likely suffer pinch flats perhaps, and definitely it won't 'bag' at low pressures like a 606 or Mitas/Michelin. Jury is still out, but for gravel road use, I don't think I've used better. Some corners around here yesterday that I would normally be feathering he throttle a bit in 3rd at 60 kph became wfo and it just gripped and drove to the point that I started wondering (ie chasing) about front grip, which with the Scorpion Rally, has been outstanding in these conditions too.

80/90 -21 48 P TT FRONT
90/90 -21 54 R TT FRONT
110/80 -18 58 P TT REAR
120/90 -18 65 R TT REAR
140/80 -18 70 R TT REAR

Maybe the 140 might work for me with a taller sidewall, but I reckon 140s are normally too wide for a 2.5" rim. I'll try and look at one before I order though, if I do. The holy grail MUST be out there.....................
Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #232
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Except they don't list a 17", I've got an 18" on my DR remember. Still gotta do some time in the rocks, maybe this weekend. I'm still not convinced about the low sidewall height either. It has a stiff sidewall, and if it didn't, would likely suffer pinch flats perhaps, and definitely it won't 'bag' at low pressures like a 606 or Mitas/Michelin. Jury is still out, but for gravel road use, I don't think I've used better. Some corners around here yesterday that I would normally be feathering he throttle a bit in 3rd at 60 kph became wfo and it just gripped and drove to the point that I started wondering (ie chasing) about front grip, which with the Scorpion Rally, has been outstanding in these conditions too.

80/90 -21 48 P TT FRONT
90/90 -21 54 R TT FRONT
110/80 -18 58 P TT REAR
120/90 -18 65 R TT REAR
140/80 -18 70 R TT REAR

Maybe the 140 might work for me with a taller sidewall, but I reckon 140s are normally too wide for a 2.5" rim. I'll try and look at one before I order though, if I do. The holy grail MUST be out there.....................
oh yeah.
interesting how good it hooks up in gravel.
you will find it!!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #233
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Any updates?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:47 AM   #234
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Any updates?
Re Sava? No, my above comments stand. Why are you waiting for my thoughts, about to spend $? And are my thoughts critical? Its just the interweb afterall

In summary though, excellent on gravel/dirt roads, wear seems similar to T63/E09 so far, and OK on dry bitumen, and OK on wet, greasy, dirt and clay. And its not noisier than anything else I've used. Should be good in slop because of the smaller knobs, and land/sea ratio, but to be confirmed. The short sidewalls suggest it won't bag enough at low pressures in sand, but still to be tested.

I'm off to the TK ride in less than two weeks, and expect to do up to 3,000 kms. Not sure whether I'll leave it on yet, or fit a fresh T63 I have in the shed. Depends on how many kms I do before the off.

Some updates on the cush drive though, got a new bearing yesterday after this discussion:
http://drriders.com/post59830.html?s...605521f#p59830

Might get the DR out into some rocks on Sunday, but it won't be me riding it, it'll be a loaner while I'm out on Big Berg.

The DR is not the only bike I ride you must realise, it has to share time with the Big Berg, 1400GTR and Scorpa in particular, and the rest of my fleet, and then I have to do other stuff too
Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #235
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

It's just that this thread is so interesting. It's like a good TV show, you're loving it while you'r watching it, then when it gets to the end you are disappointed and eagerly anticipate the next time it is on.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #236
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's just that this thread is so interesting. It's like a good TV show, you're loving it while you'r watching it, then when it gets to the end you are disappointed and eagerly anticipate the next time it is on.
Hmmmmm. Maybe I'd prefer to have nothing to update, because its all working perfectly.

Still, Shed Time is Quality Time.

No more kms on the DR today, but had fun sliding the Berg about

I have come up with a new design for the css keeper though. A couple of mates are keen for one for the insurance it offers. My latest idea, now that I have the geometry, is to just cut up a flat sheet of 3 mm sheet much like the bit I've made already, but have a smaller hole for the cs and space it 3 mm further out so it sits over the case rather than in line with it, and put an O ring or thin washer against the seal, retained by the sheet keeper. Should work, easier to make, and more room for a 525 chain.

And I have the new bearing for the cush hub to adapt..................
Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #237
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
changing the front sprocket on my SV1000 I noticed Suzuki went to the trouble to make up a seal retaining plate. we mustn't pay enough for the DR to get one
The pre 96 DR650s also have the seal retainer plate.

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_image...e=TRANSMISSION

Must have saved a few yen by removing it it from 96> models
Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #238
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

been a while since an update
Old 09-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #239
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh all right, just for you, and the rest of the mob too I suppose

My DR failed on me again

But it did it in the best way possible

Just finishing a 700 km day, the last 160 kms of which had been in an absolute pissing cloud dump near Newcastle on the F3 heading for Tea Gardens and the start of the TK Memorial Ride the next day. Maybe 100 mm in 1-1.5 hrs!

Riding along the F3, attempting to read the GPS and figure out where the highway was in the gloom with stuff all visibility, traffic everywhere rushing to get home, and I thought I detected a momentary misfire. Must have been the wind and rain and a passing truck, I hoped. Then it did it again. Rolled on and it seemed to clear. This could get ugly if it died on the F3, then what, its bucketting down and pitch black? Made a wrong turn, and it died doing a U turn. Back on the F3 and nursing it. Must be water in somewhere, but fuel or electrical?. Coughing and spluttering, found the turn off to the motel I'd booked, and it died 5 m from the foyer, rolling to a stop, dead, under the awning, and outside where we were supposed to be. It wouldn't restart this time. How considerate was that?

Checked in, pushed it to the room and unpacked. Beer, feed are next.

My thought process determined that it was unlikely to be electrical. All connectors had been assembled with either Lanolin or silicone grease to keep water out. So must be fuel?

Next morning I checked the carb breather filter which is tucked up behind the fairing and beside the steering head. remember, I have an FCR fitted. The two top hoses run up under the tank here, and I use the original BST secondary filter attached to these with extra oiled foam in it. The foam was saturated with water. Dried that out, and drained the float bowel where there also seemed to be some water. A bit of a flush, replace the float bung and breather foam, and it fired immediately, and I'm impressed with my diagnostic skills All good again, and for the next 5 days excellent riding. We just did 3,000 kms in 6 days.

Still gotta get back to the cush bearing and make a few seal retainers for a few blokes now, and other stuff too.......... And maybe relocate the carb breather filter somewhere

BergDonk screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 06:10 PM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #240
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And I had another breakage on the last trip, one of my 'Lloydy' driving lights stopped working. I pulled the fairing one morning to check if it a was a connector come undone, which I thought unlikely, but ......

Got into it this afternoon, and found 3 broken wires inside. Fortunately, having one that worked, I could match the polarity, and soldered it back up. It also had some water in it which had got past the threads and O rings. Big storm the other day for sure. I reassembled them with Lanolin grease which will hopefully increase their water resistance, although I don't plan on riding in a storm like that again, who knows? Maybe I'll fall over in a water crossing?

So what was the warranty on these Lloydy? Your shout? Still, they've been on now for about 35,000 kms so I guess its not too bad with vibration and all, and a simple enough fix.