Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #406
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
Yeah, changing the slide cut-away didn't really make much difference mixture wise - just thought I'd mention it as it may change things a little.

Delrin should be fine for that and a bit easier to shape too !
You can then tell me if it makes a difference. I wanted to try it both ways but was too impatient, so went the bellmouth straight up.
I feel I'm being pressured into undertaking another experiment for the benefit of mankind (or at least the DR community) LOL...........
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #407
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Just had a look at a pic of mine - the sleeve may be a little tricky to make as it will be pretty thin at the top.

If you decide to start again, make it like this with a step for the air boot to fit up against - makes it easier to fit up and know it's sitting right.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #408
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

I did manage to successfully machine down a 0.25 mm shim of Delrin for the cush drive, so I guess I've got to find out if it was a fluke

Dr Cooper is administering anaesthetic at the moment, so I reserve the right to change my mind

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/491/2128

http://www.coopers150th.com.au/

BergDonk screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 12:11 AM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #409
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
If you were in VIC i'd come over to help the boredom, plus you could puke all over my crappy DR and i could oggle at your awesome DR and awesome workshop
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #410
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
mmm coopers

I like the little fuel tank idea. I haven't played around with needle postion enough because the safari tank is such a pain to install. Will have to give DR Steve's NCVT a go
felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #411
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,575
Feeling old, Donks? You've tried road bikes, sports bikes, dirt bikes, trials bikes, adventure bikes....
buy another DR & fit a lightweight outfit to it. Adds a (weird) dimension to riding.
You can take mine for a spin, 'ron. If you're up to it.

Good luck with the knees.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #412
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
Feeling old, Donks? You've tried road bikes, sports bikes, dirt bikes, trials bikes, adventure bikes....
buy another DR & fit a lightweight outfit to it. Adds a (weird) dimension to riding.
You can take mine for a spin, 'ron. If you're up to it.

Good luck with the knees.
Hmmmm, a tripod, another project....

Dunno, have to take you up on the offer of a test. My only tripod experience to date was when I was about 5 yo or so and a neighbour of my grandparents took me for a lap around Guildford in western Sydney. I think it was fantastic at the time.

Now you've got me going.

In fact the neighbour was a guy named Ray Corlett. He was invloved at the time developing the Henderson Matchless. He gets a brief mention here:
http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=605

Which evolved into the world's fastest 500 single apparently:
http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=601

At the time, I understood Ray to have helped with the design and cast the heads for the Matchy at ICI, or at a foundry that did stuff for him there. He apparently also routinely brainstormed the bike with Tony Henderson, who I don't recall meeting. His shed was amazing in suburban Guildford, which was then Sydney's outer west. He had lathes and mills and tools everywhere. It was a bit like an early McMansion I suppose in that there wasn't much grass out back, but all sheds covering the yard. No pool room or pool though.

He had a shed chocka with veteran bikes he'd restored, he had a couple of veteran cars too, an Overland I think was one. He also built big scale model live steam locos from scratch and had a railway embankment in his yard for them, but the track wasn't done, so they lived on a bench in his shed on rollers so he could fire them up from time to time for a run. He also built a 2 seater go kart that he used to take us kids joyriding around the block in. Be locked up today for that for sure.

I recall he had a weekender on a lake up past Gosford and he wanted a fishing boat. He found a nice one, but it was just a dinghy and un powered. So over about 6 months he made an engine for it. He designed and made the mould for the cases and barrel, got them cast and machined them all in his shed. Can't remember the rest much, but he happily putted around in his fishing boat from then on in his retirement when he wasn't in his shed playing with his myriad of projects. He was a clever guy for sure, and it was always a pleasure to wander up to visit when we were at the grandparents, and he was always happy to show me and my brother through his latest projects.

I last visited in about 74/75. He was ill then, and didn't live a lot longer after that. Great guy. Ahh childhood memories
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #413
Bushmechanic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
amazing story Steve, interesting really that not much has changed since the mid 70s, anybody who really wanted to could at that time build almost anything in their shed, now we have more things available to buy ready to go and then the internet changes things too. there was a program on the abc radio about how people who regularly use the net are less creative and can't retain information as well as they used to. its partly true i guess but sometimes it helps you get started to know that some other mad bugger is trying something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post

Head porting, nice. A mate down here had to pull the head off his FE650 after a minor catastrophy of his own doing. Part of the fix involved an extrusion port job. We set it all up much like my FE650 and it goes nice. Of course without the dyno, if he has 1 or 2 hp more than me we'll never know. Different mufflers too, he's got an Akro and mines the stocker bored out. He's probably lurking and might want to comment on his head. No doubt something along the lines of all these great bikes he has and never rides them.............
FWIW I found the stock can with the end-cap mod better for the stock head/cam than the akro, better bottom end. with the 105mm piston the akro was better, then oversize KW valves and porting was better again.

there is a lot to gain in piece of mind by tidying up the collector 2 into 1 on the mid section and matching the exhaust ports to the headers. with the stock cam though the exhaust doesn't make as much difference as I thought. not much overlap.

frame build http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13268
engine http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12131
Bushmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #414
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Reflecting/remembering more, my grandparents left Sydney in about 1966 for Cooma here in the Snowies following my uncle who had moved down here in the early 1950s to work on the Snowy Scheme on his BSA Golden Flash. Evocative name for a bike or what, especially for a young kid besotted with things that moved by themselves. We moved down here in 1970 and I finished school in Cooma before going back to Sydney for uni a couple of years later on my then new CB500/4, a few pics of which I posted earlier in its latter iteration.

After my grandparents left we only maybe visited once or twice and it was only after I moved back to Sydney that I made a couple more visits not long before Ray passed away. I did visit his widow Dot once or twice after that but then I moved on too.

In the meantime, I'm tidying up a bit in the shed and putting carb bits away and pulled this out and took a pic for you all.

Its the plate that sits against the slide in an FCR. This one was in the carb on my 501. It seems to be about the only real wear part on the FCRs and doesn't wear like this on all bikes either it seems. Over time with the intake pulsing pulling an releasing them all the time they wear a bit and the O ring doesn't clamp it as well to the slide, and then the big issue is they fatigue crack at the crease. If you let it go too far, it might be a valve and piston that needs attention too. I deliberately bent it to highlight the crack which is not easy to see otherwise, but you will feel it by pushing it a bit.

We pulled a similar looking one out of mate's WR400 a couple of years ago too.

From UHE, http://www.husaberg.org/wiki/index.p...e=Carburation:
Throttle plate cracks

The throttle plate mounted on the back of the slide cracks in a circular motion around the dished depression in the design. The plate cracks because it can vibrate after a very large rubber ring has worn from the fluttering and from then on you can hear the plate 'clattering' likle a a handful of dominos on a kitchen table. If you replace the inexpensive rubber 'O' ring at this point it's a good cure and the plate will last interminably. You can make the plate clatter at anytime by holding your hand over the end of the silencer........!
I had a look at the DR one when it was off and all looks good for the time being, but I didn't take a pic of that one, sorry. I havn't heard one rattle doing the above test, so I guess mine are still tight.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #415
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
If you were in VIC i'd come over to help the boredom, plus you could puke all over my crappy DR and i could oggle at your awesome DR and awesome workshop
Oz day long weekend will be a bit of a gathering, all welcome.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853061

And I'll show you my shed if you like.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #416
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just had a look at a pic of mine - the sleeve may be a little tricky to make as it will be pretty thin at the top.

If you decide to start again, make it like this with a step for the air boot to fit up against - makes it easier to fit up and know it's sitting right.
I had ago this afternoon. Used my 4 jaw chuck for the first time

Before, with the insert in the lower right of the pic.

After.

I piece of 55 mm Delrin bar shaped to suit. Its a nice shug fit, so no glue or anything needed to hold it there. An eyeballed bellmouth with the outer end aligning with the taper on the inside of MXRob's sleeve.

I did stuff up the holes. Got sidetracked and when I went back to it, forgot to mirror image them, so 2 extra holes going no where. Sorta symmetrical though, and good enough for the time being.

Jetting.

I've ended up with the clip at 2.5 and the ALJ is still maxed out at 3 turns, ie max leak, min shot. I'll play with it some more.

Main 150
Needle NCVT
clip from Top 2.5
PAJ 70
Leak 3 T
Pilot 40
Fuel Screw 1.5
Float 9
Start 85

Does the bell mouth make any difference? Dunno...... yet, gotta ride it a more now.

BergDonk screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 01:55 PM
Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #417
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #418
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Be intrested to see if you notice any difference with the bellmouthed insert. If your concerned about the additional holes just fill them up with some JB weld.

Notice you've gone back to the 38 pilot jet - did you run out of fuel screw adjustment once everything else was dialled in ?

I'd imagine not too much test riding of late with all the fire activity up your way - is it close to home ?
Affecting some of your local riding areas I'd expect ?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #419
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,954
So does a 4 jaw chuck mean you can do this?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #420
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Be intrested to see if you notice any difference with the bellmouthed insert. If your concerned about the additional holes just fill them up with some JB weld.

Notice you've gone back to the 38 pilot jet - did you run out of fuel screw adjustment once everything else was dialled in ?

I'd imagine not too much test riding of late with all the fire activity up your way - is it close to home ?
Affecting some of your local riding areas I'd expect ?
Whoops, typo, #40 pilot is it, and JB Weld or similar will plug the holes for sure.

I've been doing some night shifts assisting Vic IMT that came in with operations and planning so shed time has been limited. Night off last night, probably back tonight. The fires are in some of our gnarliest enduro country, about 6 kms south from here. The prevailing westish winds mostly pushing it away to the east. If it gets away across Tuross Road it'll be the Princes Highway that pulls it up, or the Tasman Sea. We are trying to get around it with heavy plant, including a D9 and D8, but its tough ground in the middle on the range. Aircraft help, but they don't put it out. and its too dangerous to put RAFT guys in there because the escape routes are not there. East and west ends are accessible, but not the bit in the middle. Some homes and stock have been lost. We need rain.

Its called Yarrabin because thats the name of the property it started on. Some details routinely posted here:
http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?cat_id=684

BergDonk screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 02:00 PM