Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #16
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
So we get all our gear... sort out how we're going to strap it on... get on and ride up to start our trip from Stormy's Garage.... once again I'll say Scott is a good friend and mechanic I can call at any time with any problem and he can help me sort it out.... he's not just school trained... he's a very bright mind with a great set of hands....

So here's our round up at Stormy's....

RIght down the street we meet up at the Bo Weevil monument

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 08:54 PM
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #17
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Dyno wise.... they went from 29hp to 39hp at the rear wheel.... best starting Hp was My bike #4 the Jammin Family truckster.... But it was also the most troublesome..... you'll see in a minute what I'm talking about....

Fun stuff... and your correct... it's simply NOT right....
Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

On this first day of departure we had my normal riding partner Willie Fisher hanging out with us for the first half of the day.... matter of fact Willie rode with us several hundred miles and bought our lunch at a really cool road house cafe.... but first the trouble started.....

My bike just started slowing down...and since I was leading....everyone else had to slow as well.... we got down a bit and decided to pull over and check it out.....

We were less then 20 miles from our departure... I almost went home and got another bike... but that wasn't the point.... THIS bike was going to make it to Mexico.... PERIOD... hmmm ( at this point I'm very okay with you calling me a dumb ass.... cause the smartest thing I could have done was get a different scooter....but that wasnt' the point then was it? ).... Hmmmm

Basically we did a tank ectomy, pulled the plugs, reset the points and cleaned the filters.... In other words we let it cool down and it was a happy thing....

I just love Steve checking out that plug.... Tell me that don't look like a Hog checking out a wrist watch.... come on... ( I sneak a peek and confirm it's a wrist watch.... Damn that sure is a pretty color....LOL

We really did become quite a team... here we are with Steve doing the first two plugs in the Joe Rocket Jacket and me doing 3&4 in the blue shirt.... Fun stuff...
Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Now before we get into Lunch.... I need to give Credit where it's due.... Mark took 99% of the pictures and often won't be seen cause he was taking the picture.... he's the guy riding Cafe Ole' and i'll let him fill you in on that of his own volition....but without Mark... we have NO pictures... and many of these are truly note worthy... ( rather then my pictures which simply SUCK out Loud )

Okay so here we go....

INTENT of the ride was to stay off 4 lane roads, Eat No Chain Food, Sleep in only shit box Hotels.... in other words to avoid Chains merchants of any kind and support our Mom and Pop economy..... We knew it wasn't a realisitic goal but it had enough merit to make it worthy of an attempt. Hell if we had a choice we stopped in locally owned gas stations....

Okay that was the intent.... we broke it within 4 hrs of leaving...but that was okay cause we were "trying"....

Anyway.... first lunch with and by Willie was at the Beacon Restraunt/roadside Cafe in Evergreen Alabama.... very cool old town....

This one show's Willie Fisher on the right... His Harley is hidden somewhere behind all that Glorious Honda sheeniery.... ( Keep in mind 100 miles into this trip on these girly honda's my possee is Eyeballing Willies Harley like its gold....)
Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #20
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

"It's early November and we really should be back in School.... i know I'll keep you amused....but I feel I'm being used..... oh Maggie"..... Nevermind.... anyway life is good... my motors going along and everything is basically happy.... we jumped on I 65 south for a bit and then onto 98 to cruise the strip down through Mississippi and tried to end up in Louisianna by night fall...our goal was to get to New Orleans and hang out with JT Nesbitt and Andy from Flannegans Pub.... ( basically a bar with some kick ass food )... it was getting dark but we made it just after night fall..... 300 miles our first day out... not bad time for a group of slackers....

Just short of Mobile

Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #21
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

JT Nesbitt is an eclectic artist / industrial designer / writer and genuinely one of my friends... someone I trust to tell me what he really thinks.... and to have a clue how to do that.... simply a great personality...

Here's his studio and our scooters in it..... JT designed the Wraith and HellCat when he worked at Confederate motorcycles and he has since done several really cool projects with cars and bikes.... here's just a smattering of some of his stuff....

These bikes are used for Josting and parade fun....

Of course I'm in a drunken stupor trying to ride this thing... whew....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 10:35 PM
Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #22
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

remember that Drinking I promised???

Well it started right here on our first night out... at Flannegan's pub... we ( read Keith ) got a nice buzz going.... ( which means they let me sniff the corks of two wine bottles and drink half a glass of Kool Aid )... Next thing you know I'm entertaining folks on the side walk... ( about that Beer )...

I'm sure you'll appreciate the fact that we got pictures at all... but the quality might in fact suffer as we continue our foray into the squallers at the bottom of the bottles..... ( read I got Shit Faced ).... and it gets worse....

Can anyone guess where we are??? HELLO... we're in the freaking French quarter and I'm stone cold drunk.... I'm talking drunk like 14 mo fo's eating a Ham Sandwich Drunk..... and my "Friends" (I'll use that term loosely for a few minutes here )..... My Pal's .... well they see virtually NO reason for mercy on my brain dead ass...... so JT gets the boys together and they come up with the grand freaking scheme of taking me to a place called...... " THE RAW HIDE".... you can use your imagination cause there ain't going to be pictures.... trust me...

So we saunter in....and I belly up to the bar and order a corona.... look around.... check out the Video and turn directly to Paul and mention that Maybe.... Just MAYBE the Video wasn't fit for human consumption.... ( read ... Oh hell no.... just know it sucked ).... then.... I find out one of our members who shall remain anonymous ( I'll just use Steve's Initials here )..... STEVE ends up hanging out on an opposite wall.... talking to this big HULKING DUDE name "big Dick Rick".... I'm not sure what they were alluding to... but Something told me that this Wasn't the place to argue semanticist's about Don't Ask Don't Tell.... and the guy who's initials are STEVE is over sitting on a long bench affectionately known as the MEAT rack..... Hmmmm ( I should mention that our hero's ... genuinely thought this whole experience served me right... and they were howling at my expense.... and in retrospect it really was hysterical for everyone involved... )( excuse me while I step out for some more BEER )

Okay guys.... I've had way to much Beer at this point.... and it's not dulling the pain in my eyes... can we LEAVE here??? and maybe move on to the HARD liquor

Wow finally some folks I can relate to....

and some Music.... little blurry.... but hey ....ain't no funny business here...

I know these are horrible pictures.... but frankly they are tons clearer then i was seeing that night...

and Finally.... this was one of my favorites cause I can actually remember trying to talk this girl into helping Steve get his head back right.... I vaguely remember something about him being ruined for life and only a girl of her caliber could help him .... I also remember her laughing really hard and while having a really good time.... Turning Steve down virtually instantly.... Hmmm Bummer .... but there ya go...

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 04:29 AM
Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #23
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm sorry in that last post I promised to never tell about what happened in the Raw hide... or anything else...... So lets just say I never said anything about it and you guys didn't hear his initials or anything like that.... ( can you tell i'm thinking it was Steve and JT that got me into this mess Ollie ? )
Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 AM   #24
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Next morning I virtually rebuild the family truckster... points, plugs, carb's, air cleaner, Fuel filters.... so on and so forth....

We load up our junk and head out into the light of day at .... say 1pm... That's ever so slightly later I had in mind.... but hey....we're here and moving....

We're riding along a small causeway and again my POS bike starts acting up.. basically it just won't hold an RPM.. and I'm constantly having to play with the throttle to keep the motor happy and guess at what speed that's going to be.... usually between 60 and 65 but often at 55 or so.... .... it's just a constant battle...

Funny but I can't remember a thing about Dinner that day... hmmm must not have been that great

The whole time I'm on the bike, I'm running my brain about it .... Vapor lock???? Vent issues maybe?...open the gas tank.... nahhh.... how bout boiling gas..... So on and so forth.... the battle continues.... as we ride deeper and deeper into Louisianna and now it's getting dark.... None of us are really crazy about riding at night so we start looking for a hotel.... and find a building that looks just like one....

Somewhere in this day we'd stopped and put new Fuel lines on... as well as several other attempts to fix the junk.... and coming into one intersection I caught Mark on Cafe ole' getting into some Serious Head shake.... he said it was okay but that it was a bit rough when stopping... He's getting into a virtual tank slapper every time he brings it down through 10mph....

Amazing....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-22-2010 at 04:26 AM
Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #25
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

I got up really early that next morning and decided it would be nice to work on someone's bike for once..... I took Cafe Ole' (#1 ) inside by the ice machine where there was light.... and started dis-assembling the steering head or triple tree.... I get down to the neck bearings and realized I could have tightened this junk with everything on.... ( once again paying zero attention to the tree's while focusing on the forest....)

Yep they were loose... and a bit tighter and the bike feels Way better to ride.... and Mark was quite pleased it wasn't trying to pitch him off every time he came to a stop.

You'll notice though that most of the weight here is on the back of the scooter.... Mark is fairly light weight compared to the rest of us....and it's possible that contributed to the issue as much as the loading... You'll also notice Mark is the only one in a proper riding suit... Rain or shine he was ready for it all..the rest of us had to dawn our rain gear if that was going to be an issue....

I shouldn't mention Rain... should I.... Hmmm

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-22-2010 at 04:53 AM
Old 12-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #26
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307

Good stuff
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #27
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
along for the ride..............
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #28
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

The other quick note here is that all of the other bikes haven't missed a single beat.... they are just running like tops....

Pauls "Big Easy" really got and earned it's name about this time.... I did a quick test ride on it, took Paul aside and told him NOT to let the other guys ride it .... they'd be Pissed they didn't pick it.... man that thing was EASY.... one of the throttle return spings wasn't on it... so the throttle was very light... and returned faithfully... but didn't require much effort to hold it at road speed.... Easy on the wrist it was.....

On the right here...

K
Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #29
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 2,015
Great report so far! I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #30
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Y'all are thinking someone is Gonna end up "riding bitch" here aren't ya.... come on fess up... you just know it's coming, eh.... and I'm staking my mechanical reputation that it's "not" going to happen... ( I should know better .. knowing the outcome and all... but that's not the Point... ).... we have to let things unfold as they unfold....

But we should talk about the plan for failure about now.... these bike are OLD and somewhat suspect mechanically... so what happens if we "toss a leg out of bed" as the Aussies would say... ( pitch a Rod out of side of the block...Window the Motor... ) .... We've all kind of bonded with our bikes... even if our bikes haven't really bonded with us.... Mine especially.... it's just being Pissy... kind of like a may pop... .... but ultimately it makes sense that Mark and I would create the least amount of weight on a single scooter or we could take my Valuable Fairing and tour pack and put it on one of the other scooters fairly easily... ( come on use your imagination here.... )( keep in mind the spares are on MY scooter )....

Hmmmm Just thoughts to run through your brain while I'm fighting this POS motorcycle and kind of forcing it down the road... mile by Mile, day by day.... I just keep thinking about what we are going to do when it finally poops the bed...... that and I keep thinking about that stupid Ant and the rubber tree plant.... or that stupid Choo Choo.... and I think I can I think I can......

I'm not riding bitch.... I know where the titles are.... Wait there aren't any titles on a couple of these... and the two that have titles are ... well wait... mine is one of them..... Shit... Shit Shit.... hmmm THIS POS is going to make it... that's all there is to it..... Reality be damned...

So what the hell is wrong with it..... I've swapped out everything that it holds sacred.... Points Plugs, Jets Needles, fuel filters.... ( clean as a whistle but Hey.. something is causing it to loose that cylinder.... Hmmm)

Keep thinking positive thoughts and quit calling it a POS.... it's your POS and Ride at this point.... so while being a PIECE OF Crap... oh never mind....

Damn it man... this thing is Frustrating....

K