Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #31
MaineRunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Nice bikes....I bought one just like them in 1980. It was my first bike. A buddy of mine in high school had a kz650 and I caught the riding bug. I rode it for 3 years untill I moved up to a GPz1100.

Thanks for sharing the story,
MaineRunner
MaineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #32
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Okay so we wake up in the morning and we're somewhere just short of Texas.. I think, We have to climb a billy bad ass bridge to get over the Sabine river right at it's mouth in Lake Charles... I doubt there are any pictures of this as we're all holding on for dear life climbing this bridge and riding over this screwy ass Metal grating.... That goes on and ON.... and ON.... and the bikes are tracking in the grating and it's sucking a lot.... and some more and finally we're on the down side of it... And on to Texas....

Interesting for me is the View from the back side of this bridge is a place I've been before.... years ago in my well spent Youth I hung out in this area of the world quite a bit.... and this exact location is a place where I experienced a weather phenomenon that I've only seen that one time.... it wasn't nasty or bad in any way... but it was actually just strange..... there is a wind condition defined as Beaufort 1, it's where the sea is Dead calm and the wind is less then 1.5 mph .... in other words The air is Perfectly still.......... I was flying a helicopter we affectionately called a fart cart... ( OH-58 Kiowa ) ( similar to a Bell jet ranger ) and coming into this area to pick up a Chaplin Who was out with some infantry pukes....

Anyway.... basically I knew it was Beaufort 1 because the grunts had a fire for me to sight in by.... and the smoke went Straight in the air in a Perfect trail until it hits about 4000' and then it bent over 90 degrees and floated perfectly sideways in the winds at Altitude..... Very bitchen

KeithTurk screwed with this post 01-01-2011 at 03:09 AM
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #33
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

As we entered Texas we found a Honda Dealer and picked up a few things .... we'll call them expendable supplies.... ( read Spark Plugs ).... Mark also really wanted a throttle flapper hooker do thing.... basically it aids you in holding the throttle down.... in we go....

The Honda guys were mildly amused with us.... they don't service anything over 10yrs old... so they had Nothing other then spark plugs.... and they Guaranteed I'd never buy a new Honda because if I really like it they won't service later on.... Fair enough.... they get to pick their policy.... I get to pick it apart....

Freaking idiots....

You might also notice Steve's pose here...... basically when the weather got wet.... it took forever to suit up... He just liked being warm and dry and would sit there while we did whatever it was we were doing....
Old 12-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #34
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Did I mention Rain...... oh hell yeah....

Funny thing starts happening here... my junk runs a bit better....not great but a bit better.... Hmmmm Must be the Condenser..... ( hell no there isn't any logic here... it's just my current theory..... Oh screw it... here's the condensor picture ) ( did I mention it's frustrating? )

Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #35
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

It did rain on our heads and the bikes really did know it.... seems they like it just a tick colder...

Old 12-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #36
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

We stopped a lot in the rain....seems our heads liked that.... mostly cause it is just miserable to ride a scooter without a windscreen in a driving rain storm..... ( or so I hear... cause my Junk.... well while it might not be the best runner.... it was disco bitchen in the Rain ) You might also notice that I had.. "Just" enough spare space for a Cooler in my trunk.... so I could keep a 12 pack of Diet Coke on Ice.... ( thus providing me cans as Ammo to pitch at the bitching members of our riding party )...... They would say something about my inablity to control the cans and how I littered all of East Texas.... Yeah Sure..... ahhh Huhhh

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1293067729

Actually if you pay strict attention you can see .... Yet Another set of spark plugs going in my junk.... Hmmm Hmmmm
Old 12-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #37
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Okay .... wait a Minute... Mark is from New York City.... and he's never seen a "WHATABURGER".... what else could we do???? Huh Huh.... yeppers... we stopped in and filled him up on good old fashioned GREASE.....

Here we have Paul, Steve and Mark...

I'm putting this at the bottom of this so most won't notice it... but you can see my seat on the ground... that's where I was checking the battery and engine grounds again...

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-22-2010 at 05:53 PM
Old 12-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #38
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Seems like we'd stayed somewhere around Corpus Cristi that night.... but this day was going to be our actual arrival in MEXICO.... We're all Very eagar to see the Donkey's and Tequila.... and to meet a few sisters.... but since Paul and I are actually happily married.... ( as long as I stay away from E-bay ).... we decided to settle for a Beer and a bit of shopping.... Okay not really shopping... but Mexican Blanket purchasing....

We'd been eyeballing Brownsville as our entry point... but several folks along the way said Progresso Mexico was a much easier crossing and very touristy this time of year.... ( read slightly smaller chance of getting shot )... We decided to stop in and check with the Tourist bureau... I know I know... Novel concept... but hey I'm from Alabama... you should expect such shit....

Old 12-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #39
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

MEXICO.... WE ALL MADE IT.... and Paul's not pointing here... he's practicing his best Disco Moves in anticipation of a Hot hour or so in Mexico...

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-23-2010 at 05:41 AM
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #40
rizzlesticks
disenfranchised

Oddometer: 51
Glad I'm not late to this story! Great read so far...
Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #41
wickerman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Way to do Alabama proud!

.....of course someone NOT from Alabama might see it just the opposite.
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #42
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

MEXICO

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-23-2010 at 05:47 AM
Old 12-23-2010, 05:34 AM   #43
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Have to say thanks to Mark again for taking all the pictures....you don't see him drinking beer there....but I promise you as he was clicking away he was Sucking on a Corona of his Very own.... Fun stuff.... we really... went into Progresso... rode around the streets looking for an ICE cold beer.... and found that drive through Dairy.... Freaking PERFECT... plenty of parking space for our junk... and not a lot of people wondering why these gringo idiots are hanging out drinking and Riding..........

( and for what it's worth... that beer gave me a Buzz....)

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 03:42 AM
Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #44
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

More "Meh he Co".... ( see we even learned the language ).... ( we're good eh )

Old 12-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #45
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Since you've read this far..... I want you to count Motorcycles in that last Picture.... there are .....

One...

TWO.....

THREEE.....

and 4... YES we ALL made it to MEXICO....

Might not seem like much of a mechanical treat to you guys.... but Trust me it worked me like the Dog that I am....

THIS was MY Goal.... the other guys were mostly along for the ride... helping me make it happen.... and they all truly signed on for the ride... So there we are in Mexico with 15 or so happy Cylinders of Honda Glory.... 16 if you allow for occasional duty....

Honda's.... Damn things wouldn't make 3 months worth of payments on a decent motorcycle..... but at any time we can pull one to the side of the road.... snag the id plates and walk away..... they've Done what they came to do.... and frankly at this point.... I'm freaking TIRED of my POS... that one chamber that keeps missing is KILLING me.... I have no idea what's wrong.... Scotty back in Enterprise can't help me....

WHEW..... So in this next segment I'm going to give you my short dissertation on mechanic's....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 01-01-2011 at 03:17 AM