Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #46
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
All mechanical things always come back to "Auto shop 101".... here's the basics ...

You have these three things, and an engine has Zero choice.. it must run....

Compression

Fuel and Air in the right ratio

Spark at the right time....

That simple.... Fuel and air, spark at the right time, and Compression.... Motors work... that simple

My scooter has all of these.... but it likes to drop a cylinder... just one chamber... just now and again... and it hurts it's speed... while I can force it... it's just brutal on the motor once that chamber drops out....
Hmmm

But for the Moment down here in Mexico it's doing ... Just fine... sorta... it's running on 4 so... we're good... it's going to leave and at least Start for HOME...

KeithTurk screwed with this post 01-01-2011 at 04:18 AM
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #47
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

We turned around and headed out of Mexico and were stunned by the 50 cal machine gun posted pointed back into Mexico by the Mexican Army.... it was Manned and Serious..... Hmmm we didn't take pictures.... Geez... I wonder why???

So we get to the border and all we're supposed to need is our drivers lic. and Bike reg. and insurance.... ( which we all dutifully have... (How we have that without titles is a story in it's own right )....

The American side decided that they'd let the boys go and check my junk cause I had all the trunks... or I looked suspicious or .... or .... or....well anyway we got tied up for a few minutes but got back together and decided on a Nicer Hotel.... fairly close by and a decent Dinner and some MORE Beer cause we'd Made it and needed to Celebrate....

Old 12-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #48
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 577
Great read so far! You've got an entertaining writing style. Keep it coming!
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #49
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey.... that's what my wife says about it.. she's constantly amused by both my spelling and the gross lack of Grammer skills.... ( and she approved this message )

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 04:48 AM
Old 12-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #50
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Okay this is another of the several encounters we had along the way.... this was a guy who said he had a Honda JUST like these back in the Day..... Course that days long since passed and he's got a "real" motorcycle now.... a Harley ya know.... one of those GOOD motorcycles.... got a real "Roar" to it.... Oh and where is it did you say.... it's in that Trailer right over there.... as he points to the RV and trailer... Hmmm Cool

Okay that wasn't honest.... this guy was actually riding a bike and his pal was in the Customs office I think.... but come on... Look at that and tell me you wouldn't fall for my story if I didn't correct it....

Life is good..... I love telling this story....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-23-2010 at 06:10 PM
Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #51
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Okay we were outta Mexico and not far from Progresso... maybe 30 miles or so in the little town of McAllan....

It was cool to stop really early and to be DONE with that portion of the trip... cause at that point... It was genuinely a big deal to us... All of us...we'd made it to Mexico.... We needed to celibrate... lobster, beer, steak, beer, an early night and an easy rise to the next day...

These bikes owed us NOTHING....Zero, Zilch, Jack Squat... they did what I said they would do... they went to Mexico.... Getting them home.... HMMM Well... yaa Know... Somehow, I'm not sure how.. but my bike heard this...it knew I'd ride bitch and leave it's nappy ass on the side of the road.... so it decided to straighten up and fly right.... Or I'd learned that if I didn't push it past 65mph it was a fairly happy thing..... not really happy...but semi happy...

Steve's rattler is another bike that had been fairly trouble free....( and it sounds bitchen ... ( you can hear it can't you? )).... But this was the day that the tail light/ Brake light decided it'd had enough.... so out in the parking lot behind the hotel we did a "Lens Ectomy" and tried to get the bulb out but it had Issues..... ( Say ISSUES ) Pair of needle nose and a broken bulb later we had the culprit laying on the gound in smitherenes... ... Seems all the rain had gotten in and the water had acutally accumulated above the mid point and shorted it out...... No Kidding... the damn light bulb shorted out under water.... hmm easy fix... small hole in the gasket and a new bulb and away it went....

This was the first night I didn't feel like I had anything for my junk... it was sorta running and pleasant.... and I was clueless.....

I'm going to bring back this picture just to show off my brand new Snazzy Seat cover....it's a Mexican Blanket for my hot rod back home, Notice Paul has one too.... oh...and the picture has a nice shot of my Diet Coke can holder.... which basically was a semi can holder at this point... ( I learned to crush the can and wedge it )...
Old 12-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #52
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

As we headed out of McAllen the next morning we decided to go up route 281 as we'd come down 77 and really the two were within 30 miles of each other, least this way we'd see new stuff rather then simply re-hash the route...

Oh and ultimately we could go through BeeVille and stop by Goliad.... Seems they have an airstrip there they call the Texas Mile.... ( We're all associated with Land Speed racing in one way or another and the guys really wanted to check this place out ) and so..... we're off....

That was our lunch stop and I'm thinking we just ate your lost livestock.... this is Texas ya know....

Lots of Texas looked Just like this

Yeah... we were bored too
Old 12-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #53
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

So we rode and we rode and we rode.... just another long day in the saddle.... ( though Paul and I were happy with our Mexican blankets ... )

Old 12-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #54
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Notice how hard life is behind that Wind Jammer Hmmmmmm

Old 12-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #55
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Good thing i'm writing this report cause there's no doubt someone would be bad mouthing me bout now ..... Those boys had it rough when weather came on or I went over 65mph.... unfaired bikes look Cool sitting in a parking lot... but on the road a windscreen is the only way to travel....

Any so we're winding out way up to Goliad and stop for Lunch at.... or maybe it was.... hell I don't remember it was just another on a long list of Dives we frequented...

Old 12-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #56
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

and it's off to Goliad.... The Texas Mile...

Where upon Mark decides his bike feels funny..... really...how's that.... oh .. wait... Dude... your back tire is supposed to be round ... even on the Bottom...

So we've got spare Tubes... ( a couple of the used ones Scott made me take out ).... lets get that puppy off there.... so we set to work....

Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #57
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Steve and I are looking at each other asking the question... Okay we have a new tube in it... but where we going to get any air???

He's looking at me like I'm supposed to have a clue... Dude... I put new tubes in these suckers and bought you brand spanking new tires..... they aren't supposed to go FLAT.... ahhh ... HELLO....

So we pack up the wheel and tire with it's new inter-tube and trek off down the road in search of a place to get AIR....

While we were coming in I thought I spied a crew building or working on an Oil Rig so we stopped in there first..... and Yep they have an air compressor and the guys truly enjoyed helping us out... they stopped what they were doing... got all the stuff together and put air in our tire .... shoot they even have an air pressure gauge.... Nice folks... fairly common in Texas actually.... ( no pictures cause Mark was back with his Scooter )....

They were nice enough to get pictures of their activities while we were gone working our fingers to the bone on their behalf....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 04:55 AM
Old 12-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #58
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Once we got Cafe Ole' sorted out for Mark we went scrounging around the Texas Mile and found several remnants of previous activity....

Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #59
cloudfly
Banned

Oddometer: 25
cloudfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #60
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Then it was off to Goliad....it's got some serious Spanish American war history and most of it was genuinely lost on us... However... it's a VERY nice little town with a cool old square and some nice restaurants... we kind of splurged and had a sit down meal at a way to Quaint restaurant... Very nice atmosphere and great people.... Lots of questions about the bikes... Nice evening meal with the boys.... Then it was off to find a place to stay...

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 04:58 AM