Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #76
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
So anyway.... I've got pictures of Bands in here somewhere but I can't find them.... it might be because Mark really wasn't feeling great.... and as any of you know... when it's like that... you feel horrible for them but there is so little anyone can do to fix it..... Paul was useless.... ( well he did smile and say life sucks sometimes.... what a guy ... )

But the next morning we were off for Home.... we'd talked about making this last 300 miles a two day trip or maybe ... just slab it and haul big ass home and do Barber the next day..... Hmmm Hmmm oh to hell with it.... we Slabbed it....

Pictures...

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-24-2010 at 06:58 AM
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #77
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Okay.... You've been waiting for it.... hell expecting it haven't you?... we need some mechanical Mayhem.... Some rods out of bed or some such silliness Right???? Huh Huh.... wellllllll

;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;

we'll disappoint... though not entirely.... Here ya go... Last Day....
Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #78
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk View Post

What ya think.... continue?
one of my favorite bikes. not sure why but 550 4's float my boat in a big way. Love em. Continue please.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #79
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

We got on the road and decided to slab it..... My bike basically didn't like to be rode hard.... it liked 55-60mph and it was a fairly happy thing... but around 70 it starts heating up and the hotter it gets....well the HOTTER IT GETS....and once it gets....X hot it poops the bed.... just that one lung... the other 3 seem fairly happy.... or so it seems... and it slows down.... back to where it's happy at 55-65... me..... I don't care any more... as the Miles tick off it's just gotta go 300 miles and each one of those down puts me closer to my truck and trailer..... ( equals less time riding Bitch )...

Keep in mind the boys still haven't decided who's going to carry my nappy butt but they have ALL decided it will be THEM carrying Me vs Me Stealing a bike from Them....... I did make that clear didn't I.... I was riding Bitch...

HMMM I've already been to the Raw Hide.... and frankly I don't want to develop the picture of two of us cruising down the ole Hwy of life on a 550 Honda

Pictures starting that last day....

Old 12-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #80
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

AND THEN IT HAPPENED..... all at once and at a time when it was running flawlessly.... it simply Popped and blew out a plume of Beautiful white smoke...

Constant enough to speckle the folks behind me with a nice sheen of Oil.....

It DIED.... Dead.... or at least cylinder #4 decided to no longer portray a quality example of the internal combustion Cycle...... # 4 Cylinder on the #4 bike the Jamm'in Family Truckster was offically Dead....I'm talking Door Nail Dead.. outta here.... Blowing Oil... making a Mess of my leg type DEAD...

We pulled off the Slab and into a Gas Station.... with the bike just squeking by on 3 cylinders.... and Oil everywhere....

Complete and total Dejection.... we were 125 miles from the door step.... over 2000 miles of Honda loveliness..... and this... to Fail ME now.... here of all damn Places... Pensacola Florida... Home of Naval Aviation.... ( Oh Yuck).... damn it Man.....

Old 12-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #81
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm not good at quitting....

I tried it back in High school and have spent a life time recovering from it... Quitting isn't something I do.... just that simple... retreat... back up... Punt... maybe.... quit.... nahhhh

SO here we go.... I did mention it was Running on 3 cylinders right??? Hmmm

Well come on... it's not died exactly it's just on it's death BED..... it's still got a little life left....... Hmmmmmm

Okay so where is the oil coming from.... the breather tube eh.... COOOOL

Hmmm

How bout we take a Towel.... drench it in the cooler.... stick the breather tube in that sucker.... and See if it will get on the Highway??? Huh Huh...

THEN We could stick some Oil in this hole Here......

You tell me I don't look diabolical here.... Also note I'm a stickler for quality OIL.... ( or not )

Old 12-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #82
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm not sure I can write down what I was feeling as we got back on I 10 towards Bonifay.... but it was a mix between elation and regrets.... I didn't want this to end this way....

The old girl was having a tough go of it.... there was a Hole in that piston and it was still creating enough vacuum to suck some gas from the carb.... no harm no foul really..... or at least not yet.....

We stopped every 30 miles or so to put another quart of Oil in... until we got to within 18 miles of my house..... Seriously.... THIS POS got me all the way to Hartford Alabama.... and it lost Yet another Chamber..... Yep.... TWO CYLINDERS ON A 550 Honda is a Lot.....

BUT......

Yep... WE Still GOT 2 chambers RIGHT???? and with enough Throttle... you can spin up the mass enough to get it started sorta..... Okay heavy on the sorta.... but she's STILL RUNNING..... Badly I might add.... but running all the same.... and it's..... ONLY 18 Miles to the HOUSE..........

Oh Hell YES.... Lets Go....... and off into the Udder darkness we rode.....

Well it wasn't pure Dark....
Old 12-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #83
muskieken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
wow, great report,
Old 12-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #84
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm going to tell this last 18 miles of the journey like it was meant to be told... in UDDER Darkness... No pictures.. cause frankly any Camara would have been exposed to some SERIOUS oil....

We are down to 40 mph.... and it takes us a bit to get going... the Boys are trying to figure out how to support me without getting to close to the Oil Cloud I've become........

Oh and we have a NEW issue.... we now have 2 Chambers supplying Gas and air to the crankcase..... Bet ya can't guess how that comes out when you supply spark a couple of thousand times a minute..... YEP... she started having crank case explosions..... Never heard of them.... never seen one... but NOW everytime we get down to an Idle.... it starts Exploding.... One of the first times it did this it kicked the Dip Stick out of it's threaded hole... ( or it wasn't in tight or or or... just know it's GONE )

So now when it has an explosion it shoots BLUE FLAMES out the dip stick hole at a 45 degee angle and they are 2-4' long.... ( you pick the size it will vary with age i'm sure )......

One would be well advised at this point not to try this at Home.... cause well my right leg had been highly involved in this oiling exercise earlier....and.... now it just resembles a BIG WICK.... So I'm throwing my leg up on the crash bar as soon as we get down to an idle at all the lights and we hit all 5 Lights in my town.....

We rolled into my driveway and back down to my shop...... One and ALL... all 4 Motorcycles..... rode home....

Mine might not start again.... but WHO would care...the turd got me here.... maybe Honda's Do have a Soul.... Hmmm Hmmmm Hmmm

Awesomeness....... the story's now quite over... but pretty damn close and every re-telling of it will expand it's flames I'm sure.....

Be back in a bit....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-24-2010 at 12:29 PM
Old 12-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #85
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
absolute classic

Yeah Honda
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #86
funseeker
Why Not??

Oddometer: 51
Outstanding!!Would of loved to seen a video of the last 18 with the sounds of the bike and you sweet talkin it home ("Come on you Mfer just a little longer")Would of been priceless!!Great Report!!
funseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #87
toycloser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Great story!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #88
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

So now we're to the end of this chapter.... we all of us getting on the scooters the next morning and riding willy Nilly over to Scott's place...

The stories were told... lacking all but a chimney and the flames grew longer until they became unbelievable.... 2-4 foot seems in the realm of possibility for a 550 to generate... and less doesn't have the dramatic effect.... but the point is they were FLYING out of the side of my junk and my leg was Soaked in Oil..... and Life was GREAT.....

The Next morning riding it over to Stormy's Carage was ICING on the Cake.... truly.... So that's what we did....

Cause all great rides start and Stop at Stormy's Garage.

Don't forget to check out the Post script as well.... cause I like it the Very best.....

"Nahhh Scott, at this point... I'd say it's PURE junk.... make a decent parts bike eh?

And Last but not least... you can check the date on this post.... but I believe it's Christmas Eve day and Santa brought me a Present..... a Post Script ....

I mean... what do you do with 4... Scratch that ..... 3 550 Honda's and a Genuine one each Parts Bike.....

Keith

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 02:43 AM
Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #89
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Great storytelling Keith. I don't expect you'll have any trouble finding someone to go along on your next trip.
Jim
on2wheels52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #90
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

For my Christmas Present .......

How bout Pictures of my two sons... "Keith Jr, and Christopher on the 550's in front of Scott's new shop...

This is the very first time we've ever rode the 3 550's together.... and it was my gift for Christmas..... for my Sons to take a ride with me on the 550's....

Chris learned to ride shortly before we took off to Mexico and Keith has just shown an interest in riding.... I've never pushed the issue ... EVER.... when Keith was ready he came to me .... and we've been teaching him....

I'm an MSF instructor and I'd love for him to enjoy motorcycles as much as I do..... and he might.... he seems to really enjoy it....

And if life goes as it should.... We'll take a Day trip up to Barber or something.... maybe even an over nighter to Birmingham.... Maybe Mexico someday.... But mostly.... I'm saving the Honda's for the Day triping section...

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-25-2010 at 07:04 AM