Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Medic09
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Pretty slick looking garage back there, 10/10ths. What's the house look like?

'07 aprilia Caponord
'75 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
Medic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #17
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,122
Traveling like your planning, a DL650 is the only way to go. Most folks that you'll encounter have never heard the word "aprila" and if it's even a motorcycle. Look for a good used Strom and when you return it'll fetch you almost as much as you paid..

You'll meet dozens of Stroms on the way but likely zero Aprila owners.

Most of the folks that responded about the Capo so far have no idea about long distance travel or certainly going from AK to Panama.

It's and easy safe bet for you... Strom.... And we won't need to hear about your horror stories here if you get the Capo..

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #18
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
My Caponord horror story

33,000 miles.
1 coil.
1 set front wheel bearings.

Yeah, that's it. Of course, I have a leaky front tire that needs to be replaced. And I suppose it's time to change the oil. Does that count?
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #19
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrflanne View Post
33,000 miles.
1 coil.
1 set front wheel bearings.

Yeah, that's it. Of course, I have a leaky front tire that needs to be replaced. And I suppose it's time to change the oil. Does that count?
my ex- Capo story after 45k miles:
1 voltage regulator at 30k
1 coil at 40k
clutch bearing at 42k

RIP at 45k
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #20
KTMmiker
Moto Junkie

Oddometer: 143
Had both

The Wee is a great bike (tool), so is a very good choice for long distance. I put about 7k on one a hand full of summers ago. Comfy, reliable with little to nothing left past 75mph, never mind loaded down or two up. But a super bike for the task.

The Capo is in another league as bikes go. Just bought my second one. A little heavier to pick up if you drop it. Way more motor for any loaded or two up riding.

As has been said before, bring an aftermarket rectifier with you or change it before you go. Carry a coil if it makes you feel safer (I would for a trip like that). I have had four Aprilia's with the mighty Rotax engine. Never replaced a coil or a rectifier.

As is typical of non owners, any expression of faulty reliability is basically, period.
Past Flings: 08 990 Adventure, 05 Tiger, 03 Caponord ,02 Aprilia Futura , O8 Guzzi 1200 Sport , 08 Speed Triple, 02 Falco, 07 Tiger, 04 Sprint RS, 2000 VFR (Pretec), 00 KTM 640e, Bonnevilles and Tbird's (Triples)
KTMmiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #21
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnota View Post
the CAPO for sure. it has character, pace, reliability.... i knew a guy who put a full power mille engine in his -very tasty.
aslo on the plus you wont turn into one of those guy's who feels like he HAS to bang on about how your bike is reliable/ go anywhere/ value for money/ made for real adventures - because your bike is cool and badass not boring and sensible...
Have you ridden to Panama and back? ... on a Capo Nord? Cool and Badass won't get you too far in Cent. America. A Capo Nord is a handfull off road IMO. You get kind of used to it but there is a steep learning curve to it. Same with the WEE but to a lesser extent.

2002 Caponord on Tomales Bay

I put about 2200 miles on an '02 Capo. We tried to break this bike and couldn't. No issues.
Rode it some off road (simple fire roads) and I didn't like it much. Period of adjustment I expect. Wore the tires right off it.
But doing an AK trip, then heading South to Mexico and Cent. America, I would still favor a Wee strom. With crash bars and bark busters the Wee strom should crash better. Breaking a radiator or punching a hole in the case in Honduras could be exciting on the Capo. Crash guards and bark a must no matter which you pick.

Capo Hits:
Comfortable, smooth and fast. Ton of torque.
Good, well balanced handling with suspension upgrades.
Carries lots of gear easily.

Capo Misses:
Hated the flexy rubber mounted handlebars.
Mediocre brakes ... the Wee Strom's are better and they are only "average" by current standards.
Will it crash well? I don't believe it will. Nor will the Wee, but perhaps better than the Capo?
Exposed radiator over flow tank and oil sight glass tube.
MPG was not great. We averaged around 42 mpg.
Weight. If you get off road, its probably about 60 lbs. heavier than a WEE Strom.

I owned two Vstroms and have ridden the Wee quite a bit too. Over 80K miles on my VStroms.
Down South you may find some parts for the Wee as its sold in some countries there. Not so much the Aprillia. But most likely you would have to order parts for either one. As long as you have a good dealer in the US, you can have parts sent in. (expensive)

If you stay mostly on paved roads and don't explore or do many side trips or go inland on funky dirt tracks, then either bike will be OK in Central America. Not to say the Wee is some sort of dirt bike, its not, but is a bit lighter weight. I'd fit TKC 80 knobbies on either one. Will help a lot off road.
Also, keep in mind this sort of trip will leave either bike in pretty tatty shape. Stuff happens on the road. I'd hate to see a pristine Capo get beat up in such a short time. Either bike will essentially be sacrificial on such a trip unless you are very conservative and very careful.
Good luck !

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 12-24-2010 at 03:17 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #22
mmg781
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Which bike are you inexplicably drawn towards? That's the one you should buy. You won't be happy if other people's arguments sway you to another bike...you'll sell it within a year!
mmg781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer: 497
Low mtc.....good gas mileage.....boring.....Wee.

More mtc......loves gas.......sounds good and is fun.....Capo.
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #24
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Ryder View Post
I’m looking for a reliable low maintenance bike with ABS to ride from Alaska to Panama next summer, and then keep for commuting for the next few years. I had decided a used V-strom 650 ABS is the way to go, when I saw an 07 Aprilia Caponord for sale for just over $6000. So I started looking online, and found that a low mileage 06 or 07 Caponord costs about the same as a used V-Strom 650 ABS, and that’s IF you can find one*. //
DL650A's keep an extraordinary percentage of their purchase price in terms of resale value, for obvious reasons. And I'd think for your stated purpose the Suzuki dealer network would be a substantial plus.

Have you ridden them both? Proponents can argue the plusses and minuses all they want, but until you ride them that doesn't matter much. On paper, the DL1000 was the better choice for me: until I rode one.

Looked up the MSRP of an 07 Caponord and it was $12-13,000. Why is the resale value is so poor?

Motorcycle USA compared to DL1000http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/658...aro-Day-5.aspx
Quote:
Sixth Place: Aprilia EVT1000 Caponord (62.8%)
Although we usually rate Aprilia products highly, our comparo proved the Caponord is the Italian company's weakest offering. It scored reasonably well in just three categories (Ergonomics/Riding Position, Transmission/Clutch, Instruments/Cockpit), and was otherwise consistently ranked at or near the bottom of the pack.

To be fair, the Capo is a competent motorcycle, although that's the best we can say about the $11,999 machine. The 'Nard was a unanimous pick by our six testers for last place, held back significantly by poor scores in the Engine, Appearance and Grin Factor categories-three of the most important in our eyes.

"In my book," says BC, "the Aprilia is an exact clone of the Suzuki, except with less of a motor. You would save a lot of money by buying the Suzuki and changing the decals."

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 12-25-2010 at 11:20 AM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #25
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
..then get a V-Strom 650 ABS.

If you must have the extra power and sacrifice the ABS, get a V-Strom 1000.

The Aprilia, while a powerful and no doubt fun bike, has a VERY small dealer base. For a cross continent trip, the Suzuki will have a huge base of support, the Aprilia...not so much, by a wide margin.

Once you are home and commuting, that V-Strom will last a good 100,000 miles plus.

And you can make them pretty, like mine:
You only need one Aprilia Dealer & info source
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=15
Parts halfway around the planet to my P.O. in a week!
Four years on,I still commute everyday without fail...Cheers,
Old 12-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #26
ADV.John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hi guys I may be able to answer some. Having put nearly 40k in 3 & abit yrs on the capo. Two rectifiers first at 15k next @ 35k. All coils went. changed to JCI's. Front wheel bearing's. Bloody awesome engine. reasonable suspention. good on tyre's. Only sold due to health problems. I didn't fancy having to pick her up if i dropped her. So I part ex'd her for a nearly new wee strom.

The Wee strom feels at least half the weight of the capo. seat height alittle smaller but not much and can be risen very high if needed. On the capo I got on average 10miles per 1 ltr used eg: 200mls= 20ltrs petrol. Wee use's 200mls = 14ltrs petrol. on every fill up I'm saving 6ltrs of petrol. same ergonomic's. The Wee seems more flickable due to the weight. Brakes feel better on the Wee. but then again my capo was a 03 model no abs. The finish doesn't feel as good on the wee as on the capo. the capo has alot more torque then the Wee. the capo can do upto 140mph. the Wee can do upto 130mph. you do feel the cross winds a bit more on the Wee fully ladened & two up. But seems ok at it. but the capo does it all in her stride. As I said earlier I would have kept the capo. well maybe until the Triumph 800 has come down in price alittle. If you are 5ft8" or under you will struggle at times with the capo's size & weight.

but I felt it was a good trade off. between the weight + power of the Capo verse. the Lightness of the Wee + mpg+ insurance savings. so I have to say I'm very happy with my Wee it does everything I ask of her and more.

ADV.John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #27
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
advgrifter
Quote:
Have you ridden to Panama and back? ... on a Capo Nord? Cool and Badass won't get you too far in Cent. America.
no, have you?

advgrifter
Quote:
doing an AK trip, then heading South to Mexico and Cent. America, I would still favor a Wee strom. With crash bars and bark busters the Wee strom should crash better. Breaking a radiator or punching a hole in the case in Honduras could be exciting on the Capo
but not exciting on a wee?

advgrifter
Quote:
Down South you may find some parts for the Wee as its sold in some countries there. Not so much the Aprillia. But most likely you would have to order parts for either one. As long as you have a good dealer in the US, you can have parts sent in. (expensive)
johng
Quote:
You only need one Aprilia Dealer & info source
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=15
Parts halfway around the planet to my P.O. in a week!
ADVGrifter, i understand you love your bike, i really do. but lighten up man, its not the only bike out there...
Old 12-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #28
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
What a useless bunch of uninformed opinions;
'Buy this cause its cool and don't worry about the lack of dealer support and general bike knowledge when you are outback'

Neither bike is ideal for this trip (things like injection on the DL650) but the choice between the 2 is pretty obvious. If you cannot tell what it is then maybe you should consider another activity like lawn bowls ?
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #29
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
OP
Quote:
I’m looking for a reliable low maintenance bike with ABS to ride from Alaska to Panama next summer, and then keep for commuting for the next few years.
BurnieM
Quote:
What a useless bunch of uninformed opinions;
'Buy this cause its cool and don't worry about the lack of dealer support and general bike knowledge when you are outback'
mate, the guy isn't going into the outback, he's planning to ride along a serviced road, in well developed countries.
you're right about injection though...i would never choose to have it.
by the way i rode and worked around oz a couple of years ago, you guys are spoilt, i love it there (especially coopers pale ale). cheers
Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 868
The wee has comfortable ergo's, but the seat is a torture device that could make the most masochistic SOB on earth cry like a baby.
Spacelord is online now   Reply With Quote