Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #31
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnota View Post
i understand you love your bike, i really do. but lighten up man, its not the only bike out there...
I lived and worked in Cent. America (Guatemala) for two years and traveled in every cent. American country on a variety of bikes over a 5 year period.

I no longer own a Vstrom. But owned two ... over 80,000 miles on them, including trips into Mexico and cent. America. I spent a month on a Capo Nord riding it hard, so at least I know what the bike is.

If you have direct experience with any bike in this discussion ... doing the type of ride the OP has planned ... then lets here it. Otherwise, better go crack another Aussie Beer.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #32
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
The wee has comfortable ergo's, but the seat is a torture device that could make the most masochistic SOB on earth cry like a baby.
I agree. Knowledgeable owners swap out the Wee seat for the DL1000 seat. Much more comfortable.

I've also ridden the 1000 with a Corbin, which was great. Lots of other seats out there. On my 1000 I did many 400 mile days back to back to back. Not too bad for a stock seat ... but Corbin or Russell is better.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #33
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
advgrifter
Quote:
I lived and worked in Cent. America (Guatemala) for two years and traveled in every cent. American country on a variety of bikes over a 5 year period.

I no longer own a Vstrom. But owned two ... over 80,000 miles on them, including trips into Mexico and cent. America. I spent a month on a Capo Nord riding it hard, so at least I know what the bike is.
so how did cracking a case on the capo compare with cracking a case on the wee, i take it you did both in the same central american middle of nowhere town? tell us about how much easier it was to get back on the road when it happened with the wee...
just joking man, its all hypotheticals... in mine i have a better time on the capo, in yours you have a better time on the wee. maybe when we go on a hypothetical trip together no-one will break down/crash/get deli belly

Quote:
If you have direct experience with any bike in this discussion ... doing the type of ride the OP has planned ... then lets here it. Otherwise, better go crack another Aussie Beer.
hard to get cooper's pale ale here in indo mate, but a nice suggestion
i've ridden both, in my opinion the capo is better, especially given the price that the OP is talking about.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #34
Night Ryder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Here is some test numbers taken from a chart in this month痴 Motorcycle Consumer News

Wet Weight: Caponord 568 Wee-Strom 472

Rear wheel HP: Caponord 82.7 Wee-Strom 62.0

Rear wheel TQ: Caponord 59.2 Wee-Strom 42.2

Average MPG: Caponord 44.3 Wee-Strom 47.7

Top Speed: Caponord 132 Wee-Strom 115

0-60 (seconds): Caponord 3.71 Wee-Strom 3.98

シ mile (seconds): Caponord 11.80 Wee-Strom 12.52

60-0 Braking (ft): Caponord 125.4 Wee-Strom 122.9

Date of tests: Caponord 9/02 Wee-Strom 5/04
Old 01-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #35
Night Ryder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I知 still deciding which bike to get, but right now I知 leaning towards the Suzuki. In my opinion, the nearly 100lb difference in weight would make up for the lack of power, and keep the 650 just as fun as the 1000. I have never ridden a Wee Strom, and never even sat on a Caponord, and I find it very unlikely that I would be able to test ride either one before I buy

I know that both bike will be reliable, but I知 concerned that the Aprilia will end up costing more in operating costs. The purchase price might be similar, but over the lifetime of the bike, the Caponord could cost thousands more in maintenance costs. Fuel, chains. tires, valve adjustments, insurance, ect. will all cost more on the Capo and over the 50,000 miles I知 going to put on it these next few years, those costs add up.

I知 taking 3 months off of work and selling the car & the sport bike to help pay for the trip, so my next bike will be my only transportation for a while. I知 also getting married in December, and we値l have a lot of related expenses coming up at the end of the year. My budget is already tight, and operating costs for the bike will make a difference.

I致e been following your responses and weighing your opinions and advice. I値l post again with a picture and let you know what I end up doing. Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #36
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 990
They weighed it then? That's a lot more than the 474lbs dry weight listed here for the Capo:
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/apr...onord_2001.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Ryder View Post
Here is some test numbers taken from a chart in this month’s Motorcycle Consumer News

Wet Weight: Caponord 568 Wee-Strom 472
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #37
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
They weighed it then? That's a lot more than the 474lbs dry weight listed here for the Capo:
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/apr...onord_2001.php
MCN (USA) has always weighed bikes ... on a real industrial scale, not a bath scale measuring front and rear wheel separately. So, you can trust MCN 's listed weights.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #38
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
MCN (USA) has always weighed bikes ... on a real industrial scale, not a bath scale measuring front and rear wheel separately. So, you can trust MCN 's listed weights.
Thanks.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #39
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,602
For me, it all depends on what you want. The Wee is a great bike. My dad has one. Rides well, reliable as the sunrise, cheap to run, but has no character. It makes a fantastic appliance.
The Aprilia is built around that marvelous Rotax powertrain. I've read that they can have some electrical issues, but i've also heard from Aprilia owners parts aren't too bad to come by if you know where to find them.
I was seriously considering both bikes when i ended up with my GS last year.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #40
Night Ryder OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And here it is, my new bike

In the end I couldn't find a V-Strom ABS withing a thousand miles of me, but this '06 Caponord with 2000 miles was for sale at a great price in Baton Rouge

I've put 50 miles on it so far & it's good fun and hasn't let me down. Now to start farkling...

Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #41
Capo Rick
Please understand...

Oddometer: 1,466
Nice find! the '06 is the fastest!

"Nobody ever sells their bikes at Guzzi rallies........ But the upside is that you may get into a good fight and have the opportunity to have sex with some-being of a different species."-Pete Roper
Capo Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #42
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
..then get a V-Strom 650 ABS.
If you must have the extra power and sacrifice the ABS, get a V-Strom 1000.
The Aprilia, while a powerful and no doubt fun bike, has a VERY small dealer base. For a cross continent trip, the Suzuki will have a huge base of support, the Aprilia...not so much, by a wide margin.
Once you are home and commuting, that V-Strom will last a good 100,000 miles plus.
And you can make them pretty, like mine:
Why do you place so much importance on dealers? They are all as near as your computer/phone and post-box - few can actually fix your bike straightaway if you can't, or have every part right there on the shelf.
Several Capos have turned well over 100,000 miles without anything more than routine maintenance.
My Capo runs like a watch - and yes, it does dirt - every journey I do starts & finishes with a significant dirt section by dint of where I live.
And "Pretty, like mine" might work in the US, but in 90% of the rest of the world those USAF decals will get you abuse, disdain or a hiding -and the bike burned to a crisp.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #43
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Ryder View Post
In the end I couldn't find a V-Strom ABS withing a thousand miles of me, but this '06 Caponord with 2000 miles was for sale at a great price in Baton Rouge

I've put 50 miles on it so far & it's good fun and hasn't let me down. Now to start farkling...

Nice find! Congrats!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #44
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Thumb

Agree - that's a fine looking bike. Enjoy!
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #45
ILuvUMan
Opinions Vary

Oddometer: 22,507
Wee, tubeess tires. Capo with spokes, tubed tires.

Sure a lot easier putting a plug in a tubless tire, pumping it up and heading on down the road verus tubed tires, especially if out in the middle of nowhere.

Some in here say Wee's don't have power? I ride with 1,000 Wees all the time, off road. The Wee puts plenty of power to the ground, and easily pulls away from the Wees offroad.

Never found my Wee to be underpowered.