Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #46
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Why do you place so much importance on dealers?
And "Pretty, like mine" might work in the US, but in 90% of the rest of the world those USAF decals will get you abuse, disdain or a hiding -and the bike burned to a crisp.
Heehee, who the hell pissed in your wheaties???

sheesh. Can't even have fun anymore!

/// am guessing it would be more 70/30 however....
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #47
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvUMan View Post
Wee, tubeess tires. Capo with spokes, tubed tires.

Sure a lot easier putting a plug in a tubless tire, pumping it up and heading on down the road verus tubed tires, especially if out in the middle of nowhere.

Some in here say Wee's don't have power? I ride with 1,000 Wees all the time, off road. The Wee puts plenty of power to the ground, and easily pulls away from the Wees offroad.

Never found my Wee to be underpowered.
Sorry ... Man The Capo uses the same tubeless Behr wheels BMW do.
Very soft ... so be careful what you hit ... then dent pretty easy.

I'll say it: Wees don't have power. There!
Getting off my Vstrom 1000 onto a Wee, the Wee felt flacid. You really have to wring its neck to make it go. I've ridden them many times. Where you really feel the difference between the V and WEE is up over about 5000 ft. I've ridden the Wee in the Sierra and its badly affected by high altitude. The V ? Not so much.

The Wee rocks off road. I've ridden them with TKC's and was pleasantly surprised of the easy and secure handling riding rough Sierra fire roads. It did quite well. Better shock and re-worked forks (Emulators) really make a difference.

The Capo is a great road bike, smooth fast, fun. Brakes could be better, IMHO. Enjoy! Ride your new bike Safely!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #48
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentri in GA View Post
Heehee, who the hell pissed in your wheaties???
sheesh. Can't even have fun anymore!
/// am guessing it would be more 70/30 however....
You're entitled to be wrong....!
Americans are great people - as long as they stay in America....
Seriously, as an ex-serviceman, I know US citizens are extremely supportive of their armed forces - but please don't underestimate the amount of ill-will that has been generated by US military presence in many places of the world.
Years ago, it was suggested that a tiny land-locked African country called Rhodesia should decalre war on the US, inevitably lose and then reap the benefits of all the restitution aid.
The plan fell flat when analysis demonstrated that Rhodesia would probably win....
But go ahead, put more stickers on your Strom - it'll protect all that expensive plastic....

Precis screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 03:46 PM
Precis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #49
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The Capo is a great road bike, smooth fast, fun. Brakes could be better, IMHO. Enjoy! Ride your new bike Safely!
Yep, no tubes on either of my Capos - but soft rims? I don't think so! Capo rims are often fitted to KTMs because they are wider - I don't think those guys are going to fit rims that "dent easy".
A week ago a group did a 300km ride and while I bottomed out the (adjustable, longer) RallyRaid forks and rear Ricor shock after several hard landings, so far - no dents. Either I need a suspension rethink or I've got to stop jumping!
Plus my second Capo came to me after a bike vs. Toyota T-bone incident, and while it took a severe frontal smack and demolished the bodywork, the front rim - and forks - are happily intact.
Brakes? Well, I can lock up the front tyre (I've had Tourances, Heidenau K60 and Trail Attacks on it) on asphalt, or with a quick snatch, get the rear wheel a couple of inches off the ground; I certainly don't want sharper brakes than that, as I do ride a significant amount of dirt on my "road" bike.
I will concede that one front disc wore to a thou under tolerance after about 35,000km, so I replaced all three with Brit-made discs from ABE
Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #50
NEVERLOST
Banned

Oddometer: 949
so cool. love the top case. it looks like it should be fitted with a machine pistol and silencer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Ryder View Post
In the end I couldn't find a V-Strom ABS withing a thousand miles of me, but this '06 Caponord with 2000 miles was for sale at a great price in Baton Rouge

I've put 50 miles on it so far & it's good fun and hasn't let me down. Now to start farkling...

NEVERLOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #51
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
I think you made the right choice. Rode the V and the Capo and the capo was a great bike. Dealer wanted a fortune for the one here so I passed. Only thing that concerned me was the top heavy feel.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #52
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Yep, no tubes on either of my Capos - but soft rims? I don't think so! Capo rims are often fitted to KTMs because they are wider - I don't think those guys are going to fit rims that "dent easy".
A week ago a group did a 300km ride and while I bottomed out the (adjustable, longer) RallyRaid forks and rear Ricor shock after several hard landings, so far - no dents. Either I need a suspension rethink or I've got to stop jumping!
Plus my second Capo came to me after a bike vs. Toyota T-bone incident, and while it took a severe frontal smack and demolished the bodywork, the front rim - and forks - are happily intact.
Brakes? Well, I can lock up the front tyre (I've had Tourances, Heidenau K60 and Trail Attacks on it) on asphalt, or with a quick snatch, get the rear wheel a couple of inches off the ground; I certainly don't want sharper brakes than that, as I do ride a significant amount of dirt on my "road" bike.
I will concede that one front disc wore to a thou under tolerance after about 35,000km, so I replaced all three with Brit-made discs from ABE
Your info may be more accurate. The Capo I tested was the very 1st year ... 2002. Perhaps the brakes and rims were updated? We compared the Capo directly with a 1150GS and a Vstrom DL1000. The Capo came in last place on brakes. BMW an easy 1st place. Anakees and Tourance tires, all testing on pavement.

Glad you've had luck with the rims. Lots of lots of BMW GS guys have destroyed those early perimeter spoke tubeless rims. Been there, seen it.
I'm sure Oz is as rough as Baja ... that's were I witnessed the Behr's being destroyed. Embedded rocks hit at speed are murder. I bottomed so hard on my Vstrom I would have sworn it broke the bike in half. Dented rim only damage. BTW, a Wider rim will make the wheel more susceptible to dents. That is the problem on early, stock KTM 950 wheels and why so many owners change them out to Sun or Excel. Wide is bad.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #53
Capo Rick
Please understand...

Oddometer: 1,462

I agree that the stock discs are not great. Easily fixed with Braking rotors and EBC sintered pads. Stops on a dime now. As with most bikes, farkle fixes are the key, however the Capo seems to have responded better than other bikes that I have had.

"Nobody ever sells their bikes at Guzzi rallies........ But the upside is that you may get into a good fight and have the opportunity to have sex with some-being of a different species."-Pete Roper
Capo Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #54
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,748

Welcome to the club

Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #55
ILuvUMan
Opinions Vary

Oddometer: 22,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

I'll say it: Wees don't have power. There!
Getting off my Vstrom 1000 onto a Wee, the Wee felt flacid. You really have to wring its neck to make it go. I've ridden them many times. Where you really feel the difference between the V and WEE is up over about 5000 ft. I've ridden the Wee in the Sierra and its badly affected by high altitude. The V ? Not so much.

The Wee rocks off road. I've ridden them with TKC's and was pleasantly surprised of the easy and secure handling riding rough Sierra fire roads. It did quite well. Better shock and re-worked forks (Emulators) really make a difference.

Thanks for the information on those wheels. Whenever I see spokes I think tubes. Good to know no tubes needed.

Hey, if I had wanted power, I'd buy something different from a Wee or a Vee. Yes, the Vee does love high RPM. Torque and HP curve are higher in the RPM band. Just have to learn to stay in the higher RPM range.

I live at 5k altitude and have driven over many passes at 10-12k feet. Vee has a higher compression ration, thus altitude will affect it less than a lower compression Wee. I've never had any problem at all with power on the Vee.

Again, off road, which I do a lot of with my Wee, no comparison. Never ridden a Vee offroad, but ridden with lots of guys who had Vees and all I do is wait for them to catch up on my Wee and trust me, I'm no youngster.

An interesting article about Wee vs Vee from someone who has owned both. http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/comparison.htm
Old 02-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #56
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,902
Congrats on your purchase.
After day 3 on your trip the bike will take the back burner and the ride experience will take first place.
People get a little too wrapped up in what brand they ride. On a trip like yours, as long as it starts, runs and gets you to point B in some comfort.
I rode my V strom to Alaska last year. I met guys on tricked out BMW's and one guy in a $1,500 KLR.
The guy on the KLR was in no rush home and he rode from the east coast. He had more stories about the trip where the Bimmer guys had more stories about the bike they rode.
The strom seems to sit nicely in the middle, function without flash. I'm sure the Caponord will serve you well, good luck.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #57
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
We met a guy with a Caponord on the Klondike Highway last summer enroute to Dawson for the D2D. I think he was from Anchorage. We were stopped for a bit waiting for construction, so we had a chat with him. He only had good things to say about the bike and he had no issues with the terrain, as he and his buddy on a Guzzi blasted away from us later. Good luck on your adventures!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #58
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,748
Was the dude on a half clapped out KLR?
From Upstate NY?
About 5'10"....skinny
Mermite boxes bolted to the side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Congrats on your purchase.
After day 3 on your trip the bike will take the back burner and the ride experience will take first place.
People get a little too wrapped up in what brand they ride. On a trip like yours, as long as it starts, runs and gets you to point B in some comfort.
I rode my V strom to Alaska last year. I met guys on tricked out BMW's and one guy in a $1,500 KLR.
The guy on the KLR was in no rush home and he rode from the east coast. He had more stories about the trip where the Bimmer guys had more stories about the bike they rode.
The strom seems to sit nicely in the middle, function without flash. I'm sure the Caponord will serve you well, good luck.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #59
squirley
punk in drublic

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
You're entitled to be wrong....!
Americans are great people - as long as they stay in America....
Seriously, as an ex-serviceman, I know US citizens are extremely supportive of their armed forces - but please don't underestimate the amount of ill-will that has been generated by US military presence in many places of the world.
Years ago, it was suggested that a tiny land-locked African country called Rhodesia should decalre war on the US, inevitably lose and then reap the benefits of all the restitution aid.
The plan fell flat when analysis demonstrated that Rhodesia would probably win....
But go ahead, put more stickers on your Strom - it'll protect all that expensive plastic....

As a former marine that lived in Bulawayo for a number of years while the remaining whites were being driven from the farms in Zimbabwe, I don't think that would have happened. Besides, our militaries serve in the same places and I have met many a funny and fierce soldier from oz! Who made this a political forum anyway?

Congrats on the Caponord, it looks like a fun bike that will serve you well! That trip sounds awesome! Took a trip to Prudhoe and back last summer, on my way home I was dreaming about heading further south, did not want to stop riding! I look forward to the ride report!!!!!
squirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #60
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
Was the dude on a half clapped out KLR?
From Upstate NY?
About 5'10"....skinny
Mermite boxes bolted to the side?

Met him at D2D and met again on the Alcan road headed south.
Mermite boxes cost money, this dude had canvas bags, i think from Wally world.
He was from NC. He's here on adv somewhere, farmer something