Excellent post Gene
Old 08-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #77
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post
Ha ha,

This was me he was talking about. Pretty dang cool to find this. I still have the Caponord along with 3 other Aprilias (MIlle R, Tuono, and Futura) and still live in Anchorage.

My thing is, I love all bikes. I consider myself a motorcyclist first and foremost. I enjoy trying each and every bike out there on the market. I am fortunate enough to be able to own any bike I want….but I CHOOSE Aprilia. I don't choose them because they are exotic or a pain in the ass to live with or because they are difficult to find parts for (total perpetuated BS), I choose them because they are a top performing and styled bike that are completely undervalued. I think they are the best kept secret in motorcycling out there on the market today. Each of my Aprilias are nearly a decade old, yet each still relevant compared to their modern market peers.

BTW, The amount of disinformation in this thread is really frightening and somewhat sad. I was searching for some comparison info on V-Stroms Vs. Caponords for a friend and came across this thread. To think that a huge contingent of people would pass on this amazing bike based on totally erroneous information (tubed tires, really?). People that attempt to come off as experts with 15,000+ posts but have never even ridden the bike, know next to nothing about it except that it is different, yet are all too ready to bad mouth it. Oh well,I must say that ADV rider is much less biased than the V-strom site (ho ho, what a scary bunch they are).

The folks fortunate enough to read through the rhetoric on these fantastic machines and buy in are rarely disappointed. Live with one for a few years and you learn it's few nuances, learn to keep the battery tended, keep the chain adjusted, keep a starter relay on hand, and enjoy the exotic nature of the beast. I've basically only changed oil, tires and brake pads for the last 20,000 miles.

It is always a hit to show up on one. It makes for great conversations and ice breakers. Often, it is the first time even seasoned riders have ever seen one. And while beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, I think my Caponord looks a whole lot better than any other adventure bike out there. Think Armani suit vs. stodgy wool tweed.

I've owned and ridden dozens of bikes over 40 years of riding, two state motocross titles (Florida and Alaska), road raced all across the country and toured a couple hundred thousand miles on all types of bikes. Again, I choose Aprilia!

My Caponord has been a stellar performing bike for the past 5 years since acquiring it second hand, as have all of my Aprilias. AF1 racing out of New Braunfels and Austin, Texas along with Moto International out of Seattle have always been super responsive to any request I've made of them. Each shop sets a standard far above any local dealership here in Anchorage, Alaska. Any part I order arrives in pretty much 2 days and they've even sent things USPS to keep shipping costs on down on non critical items. I've ridden every road in AK, Western Yukon territories and most of Upper BC, A trip down to San Francisco and back with the wife, all on my Caponord. The thing is pretty much bulletproof, comfortable, much more nimble and less susceptible to strong cross winds than any BMW and blazing fast.

The motor is neutered from the factory and once you change the mapping on the ECU, the bike comes to life. CATFISH on the Aprilia forum (AF1) did all the dyno testing with the maps and has figured these bikes out. The factory mapping restricted the motors for two up riding cause they were too wheelie prone in the lower gears. Catfish also found much better fuel economy and a nice gain in HP throughout the power curve (top to bottom) with his mapping. It really woke my bike up, not that it was a slouch before but I'll take more HP, more torque and better fuel economy, for sure. (ha, I posted without reading the whole thread and see that Catfish is already here).

I don't get in here too much due to school time constraints and time spent on other forums but if anyone EVER needs to contact me about these great bikes or the issues of living with them….or hell ….even if you are up in Alaska and need help or info on the region, please PM me or contact me @ Nomadgene@yahoo.com .

And with that, I'm out of here. Too nice of a day to be sitting here typing…..off riding…somewhere.
Yup,brilliant post
Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #78
Mind Traveler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
5 Italians vs. One V Strom

If I lived in Anchorage and was doing a bunch of riding on Italian bikes instead of a V Strom.........

I'd pretty much make sure I had 5 Italian bikes and the time and funds to maintain them all, plus spread the riding out on each of the 5 bikes.....

If I wanted to cover as many troublefree miles as one V Strom
Mind Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:18 AM   #79
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Traveler View Post
If I lived in Anchorage and was doing a bunch of riding on Italian bikes instead of a V Strom.........

I'd pretty much make sure I had 5 Italian bikes and the time and funds to maintain them all, plus spread the riding out on each of the 5 bikes.....

If I wanted to cover as many troublefree miles as one V Strom
Ive always DIYed...66k miles and I just gave my Capo its first real valve check and reshim...
Old 06-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #80
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Yea, no issues with My Capo. Plan to do the haul road up to Pruhoe Bay at some point.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #81
andydj31
In Techno we trust...

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post

OH MY GOD!!! Respect bro!!!