Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
CafeDude OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,791
Mongrel, bitsa and other contraption BMW's- purists keep OUT!

A recent discussion about mongrel or bitsa or whatever you want to call em BMW's inspires this thread. If you've built a custom BMW from various cast-off BMW parts, let's see your handiwork! Mine is based on a 1975 R60/6.....I upgraded the engine with an R90/6 rotating assembly, cylinders, heads and carbs, a /5 touring tank, R90S fenders, seat cowling and fairing, narrowed rear signal stalk, and some aftermarket mufflers and rear sets. The flywheel has been lightened to wake up the inner beastie.

Here's mine, let's see yours!
Attached Images

CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 826
Well done!
Old 04-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Beater
The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer: 3,540
It started as a '85 R80RT. Found her in an Airplane hanger with a too-far-gone '74 R90, in Pensacola FL. She was in parts, but the rolling chasis was there. Every hole in her body and was filled with a 'dirt dobber wasp nest'.

It's a 1000cc now. Mikuni carbs. Kawasaki exhaust. Yamaha R1 rear shock. Swingarm lengthened 4". Suzuki DRZ400 front end. Husqvarna Fenders. Headlight from a Vetter faring. R100GS subframe shortened 6". Custom seat.

This thing is stupid fun. Named the 'Dobber'.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Kanticoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331

1976 r90s. Bought it as a matching numbers bike with one caveat. It was just a frame and an engine block! Actually is an r90s though! Long story short built it back with 1000cc nik cylinders and Pistons. Snowflakes because I had them and the forks, big tube swinger, r100rs tank and seat. Actual 90s fairing, 13mm handlebar master cylinder, dual plug big valve heads, and rewiring with motogadget parts. Since it was built as a bitsa, I did my own twist on a pant scheme. I call it "blue smoke".

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429237657.205258.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  164.6 KB
Kanticoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
op48no1
Trust, but verify

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanticoy View Post
1976 r90s. Bought it as a matching numbers bike with one caveat. It was just a frame and an engine block! Actually is an r90s though! Long story short built it back with 1000cc nik cylinders and Pistons. Snowflakes because I had them and the forks, big tube swinger, r100rs tank and seat. Actual 90s fairing, 13mm handlebar master cylinder, dual plug big valve heads, and rewiring with motogadget parts. Since it was built as a bitsa, I did my own twist on a pant scheme. I call it "blue smoke".

Attachment 339746
I really like that frame-mounted S fairing! I've been wanting to do that to mine, but haven't been sure about the geometry. Looks great! Details, please!

-Henry
op48no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
Kanticoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by op48no1 View Post
I really like that frame-mounted S fairing! I've been wanting to do that to mine, but haven't been sure about the geometry. Looks great! Details, please!

-Henry

Hey good eye!

I bought a bent r100rs fairing bracket off of eBay for $10. I didn't use all of it, just the main "spider". I cut and welded it until it matched the upper r90s bracket stays. Then I drilled and welded the lower stays with nuts on them and cut up a bent old rear turn signal bar and made removable front signal stalks/lower stays. It worked phenomenally. Originally I had it mounted with factory brackets, but I took this bike on a 2500 mile road trip last summer and the buffeting at speed became very annoying. I had the bike set up tour oriented, but after that I put it back to more or less stock. I like it much better. One thing to note: from what I understand, the 1977 and later airhead frames are drilled and tapped on the steering neck to accept the fairing brackets for various bikes. The non faired bikes just had bolt plugs in the holes. Earlier than 1977 frames didn't. Mine being a true 90s frame I had to drill and tap those holes in the steering neck. No big deal. Just kept the number plate hanging on the wall. I have some pics, I'll see if I can find them.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #7
Kanticoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Pic from phone: not good ones but I'll take you some better ones.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429246111.275904.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  191.9 KB
Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
op48no1
Trust, but verify

Oddometer: 1,695
Well, this is just too cool. I've seen a couple other examples of similar builds, but I wasn't sure about clearance for the bars and the overall position of the fairing. This is the best picture I've seen to date. I have no welding skill, but there are a lot of custom Harley shops around here that ought to be able to do the bracket mods. I really want some wind protection, but don't want to mount the thing on the bars. Have considered the FlatRacer Ducati-style fairing, but decided against it because I don't want clip-ons.

Great work...

-Henry
op48no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
Kanticoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's a good thread about how it's done. I went a little more in depth And tidy with mine, but it'll give you the idea.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18041714
Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #10
OLD GREEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I'll play along, started life as a 1976 R90/6 with a good old Luftmeister. I added a R100RS dual disc set up, R90S fairing, cut down the Corbin dual seat, built the rear rack and tail light, added the Wixom's and the metal flake on the tank.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #11
motor_chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GREEN View Post
cut down the Corbin dual seat
I am also interested in cutting down my solo seat, how did you go about doing it?
motor_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:31 AM   #12
Beater
The Bavarian Butcher

I've heard those brake lights get really hot. Well done!

EDIT: PS - I freakin' love that rack. Gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GREEN View Post

Beater screwed with this post 04-17-2015 at 05:58 AM
Beater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:39 AM   #13
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Yamaha R1 rear shock.
Tell me about this, please....

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R80G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
1995 R1100R - touring adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:55 AM   #14
Beater
The Bavarian Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
Tell me about this, please....
Look closely and you can see it's a completely custom set-up. The shock mount was moved toward the transmission and the swing arm was lengthened 4". The original spring on the shock had to be replaced with one that was double the old spring constant. The dampening is now 1/2 as effective ... so the full dampening setting results in about half the feel. The guys at Traxxion Dynamics (in an Atlanta suburb) helped me with the swapping ... There is some really simple math you can perform to understand what spring you need, but you have to be willing to put springs on, install them, and then take some data.

But you can really make just about any shock work. The secret is finding a stock bike that is approximately the same weight ... and if you can find one with approximately the same travel that would be best. I was going for 'lighter'. After replacing the front end, the rear shock, the seat, the exhaust, the starter, and shaving some weight from the subframe ... this girl is about 380 pounds dry. Not too shabby.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:26 AM   #15
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 8,252
Not a bad thread.

Mine started as a dead-stock '73 /5 Toaster off the showroom floor and evolved (devolved ??) from that point.

Hannigan ST fairing, ca. 1985. 5.6 gallon /6-ish tank. Seat started as one of them horrid Mustang King and Queen seats, was cut down to a solo configuration to test proof-of-concept and sent off to Bill Mayer for rebuilding. Rear rack is one of those huge HD Top Box racks, sideways, and fitted to a custom subframe on the rear subframe.. GIVI E-26 cases for 'round town with the option for fitting larger cases for touring. Trucklite red LED Pedestal lights for aux brake and tail lights. The extra tail/marker light under the tag is a Trucklite "Beehive" light. Reminds me of the"Western Auto" turn signal lights I added to my Honda 50 Cub as a kid, and from a practical standpoint is optically good and has very bright coverage even to the side. Funky and practical. /6 mufflers 'case they are available and less expensive. On the cylinder protection bars are Trucklite amber LED 60-Series turn signal lights as conspicuity lights. I tootle along with a stock 600 cc engine, dual-plugged so I can run regular gasoline.

This was the "Turned 200K-miles" photo taken in Winfield AL.

And that be the story.

--Bill