User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Speedo and Tach Confusion

I am looking into replacing the average looking speedo and tach on my 1975 R90. I thought there was a headlight speedo for the 1974 r90 but I am having a hard time finding it. Would a /5 headlight speedo combo work on my /6? If not, what can I do to mod it? How far off will it be if I do not mod it?

Is there another speedo that will work that will be plug and play? The motogadget? Id prefer to stay away from the Acewell, and would like to stick with either a mini speedo or a speedo the correct size to fit in a /5 bucket, if the /5 speedo will not work with mods.

Also, I see people not using the tach. Isnt this a good way to blow the engine? I sometimes look at my tach and notice I am getting close to redline when I thought I was far from it. i'm scared to go without a tach. What are others thoughts on this?

To sum this up Im looking at using a /5 bucket on my /6. Or using a motogadget in the /5 bucket. Or going with a mini speedo and/ or tach with the current /6 bucket.
hoodun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Whiteguyphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I am changing up my gauges on my /7 as well, and have been looking at many options. So far most of the nice looking, non-harley gauges are from European suppliers.

The motogadget gauges are very nice, but they will cost a pretty penny for the setup.

I too do not like running without a tach.

I am going with the Acewell because it fits in my budget, but would go with the motogadget classic if it were priced lower...

/5 bucket would require the /5 ears or a custom set up, but other than that my knowledge is limited

1977 BMW R100/7 - Gilda
Whiteguyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,015
All the /5 parts would likely cost $1000 or more if you could find them. I think you'd have to rewire the bike substantially. And then you end up with parts that have problems. The /5 ignition key is not either secure (start the bike with a nail) or robust (they all eventually break, expensive to repair) I like the /5 set up also and I also like the /5 handlebar switches (you can get those on a 1974 /6). If you can afford these parts and do find them maybe it's a fun modification but I think it might be better to put that much money towards buying a /5 instead.

I'm so used to how my /6 looks that when I saw a /6 with aftermarket gauges on it I thought it didn't look right.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,560
Be aware that the /5 and the /6 buckets use different size headlights, too.... everything about them is different.

The real keeper in the lot is the /5 instrument itself. If i could find just the instrument, it would be worth modding a /6 bucket to accept...just remember that the speedo and tach cables come up from the bottom, where the wiring board is on the /6. Not easy to do, certainly, but worth it.

Fwiw, this is the best-looking custom that I have seen, still a favorite after all these years, done by a EuroAirheadguy:

Iirc those are motogadget, all electronic, but wow!!

This is another nice clean look, using the /6 bucket, and a combination anolog/digital unit I think.

Why couldn't BMW have made a nice set of instruments like this for the /6, rather than the Plastic Fantastic....
Old 02-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,337
As has been discussed, the choices are frustratingly limited. I might just go cheap with a bicycle speedo and a cheap aftermarket tach for now. The step up Acewell, with the analog tach, looks great but the price is a bit dear.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
op48no1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Have you considered VDO? When I get further along in my build, I plan to change the crufty gauges for VDO Viewline Onyx units. The Acewell S11 speedometer sender is a nifty electronic replacement for the stock speedo cable and should be relatively easy to interface (with a few components) to the VDO speedometer...

-Henry
Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
hoodun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
how would you get the /5 speedo to work with a /6 being that they are different speed ratios. I know someone who has a /5 bucket with the speedo. I may be able to convince them to sell it me.
hoodun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
bpeckm
Grin!

Not necessarily... the ratio for the R75/5 and R75/6 are probably the same. If you are comparing R75 to R75 you are good to go....

What is the W=??? on your seller's speedo...compare it to the W= ratio on your /6.... (it is the combination of rear-end ration and W= that determines the accuracy of the speedo.... You can probably go +1 ratio on the rear end and still have reasonable speedo accuracy, since the original match by BMW was off by +10% (optimistic on the part of the speedo!)

Old 02-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Who makes this set up, looks decent.

I am also in the same boat here with my current R90 project. I'm doing a mild custom and want the ability to turn the bike back to stock so I don't really want to cut into the harness for the Acewell.

[/QUOTE]
OLD GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
knary
sunshine and puppies

If you want lights, you'll have to cut into the harness for any cluster other than the kind that BMW cluster for that model. I suppose you could use a hacked version of the back of the cluster to run a set of alternative lights, but that seems like a lot of work to avoid cutting some wire.

Most of the options are listed here

A few others are:
A reproduction, of sorts, from India. Look on ebay. Cheap. Unknown quality and short on features (no lights, trip meter, etc)

As mentioned above, bicycle speedo and generic tach (harley tach for dual fire).

VDO gauges. They're not small and cost as much as the nicer Acewell 4453

Koso

and ?

I want relatively small and tidy. Speedo, tach, lights, odometer. And, yes, affordable.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 02-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #11
bpeckm
Grin!

Quote:
Who makes this set up, looks decent.

Those are Veglia, used in a lot of Italian applications (Ducati, Guzzi, Alfa, etc). Aka Veglia Borletti.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #12
op48no1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knary View Post
VDO gauges. They're not small and cost as much as the nicer Acewell 4453... I want relatively small and tidy. Speedo, tach, lights, odometer. And, yes, affordable.
I dunno about that. The Acewell is in the $400 range. A VDO basic speedo, not so much so. The OP wasn't extremely detailed in his requirements.

You get what you pay for.

http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetail...ctCode=437-153
http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetail...ctCode=333-159

-Henry
Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 AM   #13
op48no1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Fwiw, this is the best-looking custom that I have seen, still a favorite after all these years, done by a EuroAirheadguy:

Iirc those are motogadget, all electronic, but wow!!
Those are MMB. A lot cheaper than Motogadget, FWIW.

-Henry
Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #14
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,085
If you want nice, non-stock instruments, you're not going to be able to plug-and-play it. Be ready to have to learn to do custom work or to be able to pay for it aus der wazoo.

--Bill
Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #15
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by op48no1 View Post
I dunno about that. The Acewell is in the $400 range. A VDO basic speedo, not so much so. The OP wasn't extremely detailed in his requirements.

You get what you pay for.

http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetail...ctCode=437-153
http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetail...ctCode=333-159

-Henry
There are two acewells that most are using on these bikes. The older 2853 that's been used a lot is $200 or so. The newer and nicer 4453/4553 with the lovely analog tach is $400 or so.

Goodbye Toolfan