Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2005, 11:56 AM   #196
Necas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Here's mine, kind of majestic looking isn't it.
Bayou State

I got a strange and
uncomfortable feeling about this place. -- Lt. Lawrence

Necas screwed with this post 01-06-2006 at 01:00 PM
Necas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 PM   #197
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necas
Here's mine, kind of majestic looking isn't it.
They're all majestic but that is a beauty

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #198
Ktapply
Dogmatic

Oddometer: 825
1992 R100GS Bumblebeemer

Here is a picture of my 1992 R100GS Bumblebee on a recent trip to Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. You can read about the trip here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111170

She performed almost flawlessly with the exception of a couple of minor repairs that had to be made along the way. She has 68,181 miles on her and I would not hesitate to take her anywhere. She still cruises easily at 75-80 MPH, corners with the best squids out there. packs like a mule, and looks like a million bucks...what more could you want.

I do want to improve the charging system so that I can add auxilary lights and plug in electrics. Sooner or later the tranny will need to be rebuilt and the circlip added.

I am a committed Airhead!
Ktapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #199
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktapply

Here is a picture of my 1992 R100GS Bumblebee on a recent trip to Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. You can read about the trip here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111170

She performed almost flawlessly with the exception of a couple of minor repairs that had to be made along the way. She has 68,181 miles on her and I would not hesitate to take her anywhere. She still cruises easily at 75-80 MPH, corners with the best squids out there. packs like a mule, and looks like a million bucks...what more could you want.

I do want to improve the charging system so that I can add auxilary lights and plug in electrics. Sooner or later the tranny will need to be rebuilt and the circlip added.

I am a committed Airhead!
Nice *B----BEE*!!!!
Here's her "twin sister" with a PD tank mounted for the Alaska trip.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #200
Two Dot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Still Committed..

Sold my baby today.... Firestorm, I hope you have as fun fun riding that bike as I did.

Still committed though...

Wonderful old bikes...nothing like them really.

Remember... "An Airhead is better than no head at all"
Old 01-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #201
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRich
Nice *B----BEE*!!!!
Here's her "twin sister" with a PD tank mounted for the Alaska trip.

And her black sheep brother, '92 bumblebee with Motosport bags in black

Old 01-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #202
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,907
Posers.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #203
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Old 01-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #204
OrmondGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
And her black sheep brother, '92 bumblebee with Motosport bags in black

How do you like the motosport panniers? I'm thinking of going that way for my '93 PD - it's either that or happy trails or jesses.
OrmondGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #205
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmondGS
How do you like the motosport panniers? I'm thinking of going that way for my '93 PD - it's either that or happy trails or jesses.
I like the size and the fact that they come with liners. If you don't use the liners, the bare aluninium will leave grey all over whatever you put inside. They also use the stock BMW mounts, the upside is that you probably have a set or can pick up a set cheap used. The downside is they will probably break or bend all to hell in a hard hit. So far, I've only done a couple low speed low sides with the bags on, so no real damage. If I was to head to Alaska or do a lot of rough riding with full bags, I'd probably fabricate stronger mounts.
The bags have a raised V that fits into a groove on the lids to seal them. You have to be real careful to close them without tearing up the V.
They are a good value for the money, but if you can afford jesses or are thinking of real hard use, I'd go for the jesses or something else.
I got mine direct from Motosport, they were seconds that they said had been used as display bags at shows, so had a few scratches on the bottom. They priced tham to me at less than half retail.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:09 AM   #206
OrmondGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
I like the size and the fact that they come with liners. If you don't use the liners, the bare aluninium will leave grey all over whatever you put inside. They also use the stock BMW mounts, the upside is that you probably have a set or can pick up a set cheap used. The downside is they will probably break or bend all to hell in a hard hit. So far, I've only done a couple low speed low sides with the bags on, so no real damage. If I was to head to Alaska or do a lot of rough riding with full bags, I'd probably fabricate stronger mounts.
The bags have a raised V that fits into a groove on the lids to seal them. You have to be real careful to close them without tearing up the V.
They are a good value for the money, but if you can afford jesses or are thinking of real hard use, I'd go for the jesses or something else.
I got mine direct from Motosport, they were seconds that they said had been used as display bags at shows, so had a few scratches on the bottom. They priced tham to me at less than half retail.

Thanks for the info - think I'll give them a call.
OrmondGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #207
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,289
Another one

1992 R100 GS. Got back a few months ago from riding it comletely around the world. California to Tierra del Fuego then Japan and Vladivostok to Cape Town via Mongolia and all the Central Asian "Stans" and the middle east. Then shipped South Africa to NY and rode home to California. It was a damn nice ride. I'll try and post a pic (gotta figure out how). It does LOOK like it's just been taken around the world.
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #208
Ktapply
Dogmatic

Motosport Panniers....

Quote:
Mine have performed well. Mine were manufactured for the Gran Canyon and I had to have the hoops manufacted for the GS. Motosport did that with no for me, but it took them a couple of times to get it right. Mine have the Pucks which apparently are now an older style. Like Norton, I bought mine on closeout and paid less than full price. I love the liners, well made and very usefull. Just pull them out when the day is over and all your crap goes inside with you. Pack them up in the AM and plop them into the case. Very convenient. The seal appears to be the most fragile area, but no leakage yet. All in all I am very pleased with them.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #209
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
1992 R100 GS. Got back a few months ago from riding it comletely around the world. California to Tierra del Fuego then Japan and Vladivostok to Cape Town via Mongolia and all the Central Asian "Stans" and the middle east. Then shipped South Africa to NY and rode home to California. It was a damn nice ride. I'll try and post a pic (gotta figure out how). It does LOOK like it's just been taken around the world.

Definitely need a pic or two of that bike, Pete.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:58 PM   #210
Ktapply
Dogmatic

Pics....

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
If you can circumnavigate the globe on an airhead you can figure out how to post pics here....Let's see pics and a complete ride report..... Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about!