User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #211
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Posting pics

It looks like I can't post pics unless they are online first- and they're not. I can e-mail a couple if someone who can post them will do so for me.
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #212
Ktapply
Dogmatic

Oddometer: 825
No Problem... just send them along....

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
It looks like I can't post pics unless they are online first- and they're not. I can e-mail a couple if someone who can post them will do so for me.
Got yah covered! email a few to ktapply@airmail.net
Ktapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #213
Ktapply
Dogmatic

Oddometer: 825
Here are Pete's Pics.....

Quote:
Kyrgyzstan -city

Sahara Camping

Zanzibar - beach

Peru- desert

Chile- hand

Siberia - crash4
Ktapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #214
petefromberkeley
-

Thanks

Thanks for posting those. I think that Kyrgyzstan pic is actually in Samarkand Uzbekistan. One a them "stans" anyway. I've got about 3,000 more. Probly ought to get a smugmug account and put them online.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:17 PM   #215
tommcbride
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Please do!
We would love to see them!!!!!!!
You have PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting those. I think that Kyrgyzstan pic is actually in Samarkand Uzbekistan. One a them "stans" anyway. I've got about 3,000 more. Probly ought to get a smugmug account and put them online.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #216
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Thanks Pete and KTapply. Great shots. Living vicariously through others' world travels are what get some of us through the day, (especially Canadian winter days!). Keep 'em coming!
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #217
JoeKher
Third world or bust!

Oddometer: 162
1993 r100gs/pd teal and white! I'd like to replace it, but with what? Nothing can do everything as well as an airhead gs!
JoeKher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #218
givitsum
Scottish Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Airhead GS---

I had an 800GS for a short time but sumwun offered me real money for her--- being a typical tight Scot she had to go---hope to hang on to this wun long enough to get to Alaska --- might even ship her home to the UK if we fall in luv

A '91 R100GS, will meet up with her in Michigan late April and spend nine weeks hoonin round bits of Canada & the US of A--

can't wait

Don
Old 01-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #219
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
If that wasn't so clean and shiney, I would think it was mine.
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:00 AM   #220
crarchitect
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 39
What's next? Mars?

Dang, Petefromberkeley,

Is there anywhere you haven't been?? Thanks for providing me the inspiration/procrastination/education/vicarious-eration to put off and plan my circumnavigation.

I've already got the big tank and the low fender; it's like I am ready to go... How many tire changes did that add up to?

Wish I had your odometer,
C-man

p.s. where's all your luggage? was that a one pair of boxers trip?? that's gross.
crarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #221
petefromberkeley
-

Yeah, I guess I've been to a lot places by now- but there are plenty more to see. Yep, that was all the luggage I had and if I did it again I'd have even less.

As for tires, I dunno. A bunch. I had knobbies for North Africa and often ran other tube type tires when I couldn't find tubless. THose 17 inch rear tires are as rare as hens teeth most places. Tubeless 17s were always carried in by people flying in to visit me. Those Avon Distanzia's sure do last if you can get them. I went from Berkeley to Osorno Chile on a set of them!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:25 AM   #222
Postie
kiwi

Oddometer: 44
Another from NZ

My '93 GSPD on the Wairarapa Coast of NZ during the 2004 Pukemanu Adventure Ride in some rather odd company.

I've had it since 1999, done 50,000 odd k's both in NZ and OZ where I lived for 4 years.

Ian
Attached Images

Postie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #223
Charlie b
"Que pasa...?"

Oddometer: 36
Hi guys,
First posting so hope the attachment works...

Great thread, some sharp looking bikes out there and some work horses too with loads of character and history!

Saddling up on the G/S is a revelation in comparison to the modern beemers. Simpler, lighter, nimble in traffic and still pretty good on the open road, two up plus baggage. Great machines!!!

My '83 G/S in Mendoza with the Andes in the background.
In 2002, I put a wanted ad in the local paper and bingo. $US1,800 later and deal is done. New pads, tyres, shock, big tank and some fresh paint later...
Does it for me..!!!
Attached Images

"Yes, London, you know; fish, chips, cup'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary Poppins... London!!!"
Denis Farina, "Snatch" 2000.
Charlie b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:09 PM   #224
tommcbride
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Can you tell me about the bags on the back of your bike?
I like them!
OH and NICE BIKE TOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie b
Hi guys,
First posting so hope the attachment works...

Great thread, some sharp looking bikes out there and some work horses too with loads of character and history!

Saddling up on the G/S is a revelation in comparison to the modern beemers. Simpler, lighter, nimble in traffic and still pretty good on the open road, two up plus baggage. Great machines!!!

My '83 G/S in Mendoza with the Andes in the background.
In 2002, I put a wanted ad in the local paper and bingo. $US1,800 later and deal is done. New pads, tyres, shock, big tank and some fresh paint later...
Does it for me..!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #225
Charlie b
"Que pasa...?"

Oddometer: 36
Those bags...

Hi Tom,

The bags have a bit of history. They were made locally in Argentina for the 2nd owner of the G/S after he imported it from California in 1986. (Sold new originally by N Hollywood BMW in '83, I remember seeing in the papers that came with the bike). The bags were on the G/S for a couple of years before being taken to Europe for several months travelling around fitted to another BM, sometime in the late '80's. They were then re-fitted onto my bike as you now see them and they have a 'great patina of use'. That is old and lived in!
The bags are copies of the WWII German m/c leather bags but without the metal frame and sprung clamp assembly. I have looked closely at a few of the military bags on friends restored Zundapps etc and the plain bag as I have is much more suited to a civilian bike. Mine have a stiffening mild steel plate across the inside and are fixed to the standard metal pannier frames with 2 x 12mm bolts. Very simple and plenty strong enough.
The bags were very well made by a local saddler, (now sadly deceased) from 4mm hide, hand stitched and I have had a pair copied for a friends G/S over in Cordoba. He is very pleased with them.
I think that they complement the G/S very well and are big enough for most trips. I like leather bags because I've done thousands of miles on a 1944 H-D WLA military bike I know they work well, are weather proof and look great, so I have got used to them. Also, leather bags are a nice link to the BM's of another era...
They polish up well, pics attached...

PS...
I note you have a Montesa (Viva!), I ran a 1968 250 Impala Sport back in the early '70s and it was a quick road bike and pretty rare over here in the UK. I was nicely surprised to see a lot of them still in daily use, crackling around Barcelona 2 years ago. A very distinctive exhaust note..!!!
Charlie

"Yes, London, you know; fish, chips, cup'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary Poppins... London!!!"
Denis Farina, "Snatch" 2000.
Charlie b is offline   Reply With Quote