Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2006, 11:17 PM   #241
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,395
I guess the link to my previous pics is no longer valid. This is what is going to carry me around the world starting this April. Website: www.nohorizons.net

Old 01-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #242
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,873
i post enough cryptic shit here, i need to own up that i even have a ride:

Dec 2005 seeking the elusive Escribano Point, La Florida

the track in b/g has been trenched by USAF and state Fish & Wildlife 4x4's getting stuck, to depths of 2'-- the bike is soaked in this pic from my dropping it in last 5' of this puddle while on the pegs at decent speed. That foliage behind the front wheel is a briar/bramble lodged in the brake caliper. Do i bitch? Nope. One of the best rides i ever had

If it's a G/S or GS, get that baby filthy. Won't truly dig the design til you do.

x,
MRP

Mugwest screwed with this post 01-31-2006 at 06:20 PM
Mugwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #243
MoMan
PigPen

Oddometer: 671

2nd posting here, but Helga is a little different now...8.5 gallon tank, Race Tech Cartridge Emulators and a StainTune Exhaust

This image was taken at TWO last year awaiting a shop sponsored dual-sport ride. Can't tell in the picture, but it's pouring down rain. It was a fun, wet, muddy and cold ride in the North Georgia Mountains
Old 01-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #244
tommcbride
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
How bout that monster rotor you have on the front?
Prey tell
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMan

2nd posting here, but Helga is a little different now...8.5 gallon tank, Race Tech Cartridge Emulators and a StainTune Exhaust

This image was taken at TWO last year awaiting a shop sponsored dual-sport ride. Can't tell in the picture, but it's pouring down rain. It was a fun, wet, muddy and cold ride in the North Georgia Mountains
Old 01-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #245
MoMan
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcbride
How bout that monster rotor you have on the front?
Prey tell
http://www.map-engineering.com/

2 finger operation...I now have a braking system that works!
Old 01-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #246
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,395
Quote:
http://www.map-engineering.com/

2 finger operation...I now have a braking system that works!
Yeah ... be careful with it, though. The MAP is great (I have one too), but you can overbrake it. I've dumped my bike twice doing that. Where it really works is when the bike is loaded up. THAT's when the difference is stellar.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #247
MoMan
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi
Yeah ... be careful with it, though. The MAP is great (I have one too), but you can overbrake it. I've dumped my bike twice doing that. Where it really works is when the bike is loaded up. THAT's when the difference is stellar.
Yep, I know all about that...practiced on smooth Georgia clay and gravel roads before I ventured to the slab. I once locked the front wheel in a decreasing radius turn trying to cut some speed down. That will open your eyes up in a hurry managed to hold the line though. A light touch is all you need. If you grab a handfull of front brake like you use to, you will go down.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #248
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:

Tom, are you really tall, or is your GS lowered a bit? (Yes, this is a serious question).

Dig the windshield, BTW. Is it a stock one, cut down?

You know, now that I think about it, it's a pretty cool bike, all around.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #249
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
I guess the link to my previous pics is no longer valid. This is what is going to carry me around the world starting this April. Website: www.nohorizons.net

Malindi, I checked out your site a long time ago, and then I seem to remember, (I think), that your plans were on hold. Good to see you're back on track. Good luck. Great job on the bike, BTW.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #250
MoMan
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
Tom, are you really tall, or is your GS lowered a bit? (Yes, this is a serious question).
Dig the windshield, BTW. Is it a stock one, cut down?
You know, now that I think about it, it's a pretty cool bike, all around.
ahh, I think you mean my bike...
Nope, not tall or lowered. Front fender not correcty placed (must remember to measure 3 times and drill once) with rear fender hid by StainTune exhaust. Preload on Fox Twin-Clicker on a softer setting and probably have about 20lbs of air pressure in the tires. Playing in the mud and slick rocks is not the time to have a stiff suspension.

Windshield is stock, cut down and painted with a handy can of flat black spray paint
and yes, it is a pretty cool bike.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:57 AM   #251
Mik
Riding big jugs airheads

Oddometer: 598
Really never thought I'd aquire another airhead. Wanted something "current". Wrong.

Not "commited" yet since I just joined the GS asylum (asylum? guess I am committed, then!) 2 Thursdays ago, bought this '88 R100GS bumblebee from a fellow Advrider. I stole his photo of it, below.

The bike's a gas gas gas. I returned from Death Valley Daze yesterday evening, nearly 500 miles and nearly 8 hours in the saddle to get back home, and I was delighted by the old girl's open road performance. Very smooth and comfy, and nimble. A few miles on dirt roads in Death Valley, can't wait to do a lot more of that.

Handles real well-Ohlins rear shock, Progressive fork springs. Supertrap exhaust is loud for a BMW. I happen to like LOUD.

A few niggles to sort out and I'm looking forward to many miles of running out of pavement on this GS.

a "motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocations, to excess."-T.E. Lawrence

"Don't thank me. Thank da Raidah's." Al Davis to Mik, at Hap's Original, 2008.

"We don't serve Heineken at the nickel machines". Complimentary drinks policy at some dump in Beatty, Nevada.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:02 AM   #252
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:

I really dig your bike as well.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #253
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Committed ???

Well, my wife thinks I should be committed – buying a 16-year old bike being only one of many reasons.

Anyway, I rescued this 1990 R100GSPD from 16 years in the northeast and had it shipped to So Cal where it could emerge from winter hibernation.
Original owner only put on 16k miles in 15 years. Second owner did a major service (tranny inspection, spline lube, diode board, front rotor, Progressive springs and shock) and added 3k miles. All I’ve done is change the gear and drive oil to 75W140 synthetic (awaiting parts for engine oil and filter), mount Fastway footpegs and TKC80 tires, and tweak the sag and bar position. Still need to install better brake pads and decide on stronger bars, handguards, and luggage.

Finally hit the trail. Here are a couple of beauty shots of the bike in its more natural January habitat. :grinner
I’ll post a short ride report when all the pics are uploaded and sorted.

{Edit 2/1/06: Ride Report posted: www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117004}

(of course, signs like this make one question the wisdom of a 9.4 gal gas tank!)

Initial impression? Old School’s fun! Compared to my DL650 I like the PD’s 21” front wheel and extra travel and ground clearance off-road. The center of gravity (partially full fuel tank!) seems significantly lower than the wee-strom making it easier to handle in the dirt (and perhaps even quicker turning in the esses?). Managed to add a bit of "character" to the mirror backs and brush guards but nothing else, whew! :uhhuh

Committed to an airhead? We’ll see. I certainly like the simple mechanicals - oil filter changes exlcuded, of course. I know I’ll have a lot more questions for you guys along the road…..

cheers, LEV

levity screwed with this post 02-01-2006 at 10:00 AM
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #254
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
very sweet find

(lucky bastidge....)

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:49 AM   #255
Jaysgeess
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
1988 R80gs

Picked up my '88 80GS a couple of months ago and love it! Sold my 1150 GS in the summer to get an 1200ST and an airhead GS and have no regrets. At least I can pick this one up if it falls over
Jaysgeess is offline   Reply With Quote