Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #721
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
WOW!! so much about me worrying if my 37 year old R90S with 7,300 miles can be made reliable enough to tour.... amazing no break downs on a 20k mile trans Africa trip with 120k miles already on the GS.
Apart from the Heinrich tank and aluminium panniers the bike was almost totally standard, the longer seat is an original one extended by the first owner and I fitted the second disc with braided hoses. Since then it has had little more than servicing, tyres and a new rear shock but is in need of some attention now to both the engine and chassis, it has to get me through this winter before that happens though.
Your R90S is only just run in and must be one of the lowest mileage examples of this bike left, should be good for just about anything.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #722
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,651
Went for a 700k ride on Saturday, Left at 7am, home at 8pm. We didnt stop too much.
Left Sydney headed over the mountains to Mudgee with SteveRed on a 1200 Multistrada, Met up will OldDog on his 1200 Tenere and me on the trusty R80G/S. Then around through Lue to Rylstone, then up through the Bylong Valley, up to Denman, then back to Sydney Via the Putty Road. Saw some beautiful country and a few Live and dead Wombats and Kangaroo's, snakes and Lizards.
I realise that I am a little 'bike' unfit as I was pretty achey on Sunday. Butt still a bit sore

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #723
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs View Post
Went for a 700k ride on Saturday, Left at 7am, home at 8pm. We didnt stop too much.
Left Sydney headed over the mountains to Mudgee with SteveRed on a 1200 Multistrada, Met up will OldDog on his 1200 Tenere and me on the trusty R80G/S. Then around through Lue to Rylstone, then up through the Bylong Valley, up to Denman, then back to Sydney Via the Putty Road. Saw some beautiful country and a few Live and dead Wombats and Kangaroo's, snakes and Lizards.
I realise that I am a little 'bike' unfit as I was pretty achey on Sunday. Butt still a bit sore

Pezz old mate it is always nice to have a run with you and the Old Dog... Worth the effort just for the Potato and Pea pie at the Mudgee bakery... YUM YUM!!!

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:57 AM   #724
Travelling Sam
Travelling Sam

Oddometer: 125
This is my 1992 R80GS. I see that Mark Manley has already mentioned her to you. Shes currently got 264,000 miles on her. 200,000 of those were done on an 8 year round the world trip Africa, Australia, SE Asia, Asia, Middle East, Africa again, South America, Central America and North America. Id only been riding a bike for 3 months the day I started riding in Africa, so shes had a lot to put up with!
Amazingly reliable bike and shes been places youd think twice about taking an unloaded 250cc trail bike. All that low down weight and power, fantastic.
Hassles? 4th shaft but hey, shes been carry my home on rough roads for all those years so no complaints. To balance that out shes still on the same pistons, gearbox and the same clutch! I have just had to replace the carbs though completely worn those out! Other than that its been the usual servicing stuff. And I have now fitted an EME alternator kit to the bike. Im really impressed with it. It charges faster and at far lower speeds. I can now ride with all lights on, heated grips and two heated jackets at slow speed. Ive put a Hawker battery on her too. Much better starting and no issues when I drop her.
Mods to the bike before setting off? Not many. A 43 Litre petrol tank, additional water and fuel side tanks, WP progressive fork springs and rear shock, and a bash plate. The ally panniers were made by an 80 year old Australian millionaire in his garden shed in Surfers Paradise (really!).
All in all a fantastic bike. Shes still my main means of transport and I dont see any reason why she wont continue to be. Swop her for something newer? Why?
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #725
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
OK, you just made it! Mark him "committed"
Old 10-24-2011, 02:54 AM   #726
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manley View Post
Apart from the Heinrich tank and aluminium panniers the bike was almost totally standard, the longer seat is an original one extended by the first owner and I fitted the second disc with braided hoses. Since then it has had little more than servicing, tyres and a new rear shock but is in need of some attention now to both the engine and chassis, it has to get me through this winter before that happens though.
Your R90S is only just run in and must be one of the lowest mileage examples of this bike left, should be good for just about anything.
thanks was wondering about your proven aluminum panniers setup. there's instances of aftermarket aluminum panier/rack failures on R80 GS trips. will be fabricating a frame for my bike soon and would like to see designs that's survived trips like yours.

flat amazing how your R80 GS just keeps on going. totally envious about all the places you've traveled. breakdowns in the middle of a 20k mile trans Africa adventure, could really changed the trip.

slowly closer to goal for getting my Airhead back to 100% mechanical condition. R90S 9.5 to 1 compression would limit me to where I could go due to fuel availability. there's spacers available that could drop compression, but bike's entire character would change.

for an around the world bike, would have to agree with your opinion that there is no better bike than R80 GS. hope to do a fraction of where you've traveled to. R90S would have no problems finding fuel in North America. plans are to tour the states first and get things ironed out.

please excuse the layer of dust, bike has been sitting for 30 years. concentrating on mechanicals first. just installed a new windscreen... the parts list keeps growing

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-24-2011 at 03:02 AM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #727
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
You can put me on the list.
94 R100GS, 140,000 miles, purchased new in 94. I waited for the oilhead to come out and when I saw it I went out and found an airhead.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #728
Travelling Sam
Travelling Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
OK, you just made it! Mark him "committed"
Too kind Of course part of the reason she's kept going as long as she has is because Mark Manley has laid his oily fingers on her quite a few times. This feller knows what he's doing with airheads! Good brain to pick!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #729
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
thanks was wondering about your proven aluminum panniers setup. there's instances of aftermarket aluminum panier/rack failures on R80 GS trips. will be fabricating a frame for my bike soon and would like to see designs that's survived trips like yours.
I have had different experiences with both bikes, the longer subframe on the GS means a longer unsupported run than the G/S and I had that rack fracture where it bolts on to the main frame at the same point as the subframe, cobbled together with straps and repaired by a village blacksmith in Bolivia for $5, it hasn't broken since.
They were made by a friend who had a batch of boxes made and fitted them with racks to individual bikes, this was before aluminium panniers were widely available in the UK.
My travelling companion on that trip had the same panniers and rack on a twin shock which had a shorter run like the G/S and gave no problem.
Slightly envious of your find, the R90S has to be the best looking air head.
I have recently lost my camera so cannot do it now but will be happy to post photos of both racks if that is helpful.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #730
Tiffany
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 978
Talking Did someone mention airheads??

Seeing that Mark and Sam are on this link, I thought Thelma had better show her face as well. She's my 1992 R80GS and has done just over 180,000 miles, nearly all of those are travelling miles in various countries. Possibly not the obvious choice for a novice rider and a shortie female at that.

First week with her and I was getting in practice by giving rides around the field at my friend's wedding, that's my sister, the bridesmaid on the back.

Thelma was still quite shiny in those days (1997), I'd bought her second hand with 20,000 miles on the clock. No modifications and within two months had set off for India. Five years later someone told me she could be lowered!! First and only mod I think, though as Mark has also worked on her, he could probably tell you different.

These GS bikes are like tanks, I just point Thelma at anything and she gets through it whether it's deserts, mountains or rivers.

The clay of the Salar De Uyuni, when I attempted to take a shortcut....

And through it all, I still use her to give people a lift.i.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #731
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,276
Tiffany ... a little envious of your nice GS... looks lots of fun!
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #732
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post

please forgive me for staring. And the jaw hanging open thing...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #733
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
I wonder sometimes, about all my hand-wringing and agonizing over bike preparation and modifications. Because of all the people who point their standard Airheads towards adventure and just twist the throttle. Fantastic.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #734
Travelling Sam
Travelling Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
I wonder sometimes, about all my hand-wringing and agonizing over bike preparation and modifications. Because of all the people who point their standard Airheads towards adventure and just twist the throttle. Fantastic.
Hand wringing and agonising? But that's normal. Otherwise you'd be nuts, weird or are completely prepared to put your trust in the Gods. Methinks that latter is Tiffany! ( We are mates so I can say that, and when you hear more about her trips you'll know what amazing adventures she's had on Thelma. She's also one of the most positive thinking people I know.)
But the trouble is, it's easy to get bogged down in all the prep stuff. Things will go wrong, but they are just the start of a new adventure. For example, getting a part made by a local bloke by the side of the street is a great experience and you end up with a souvenier well worth having eh.
I think that the keys are to set out on an Airhead in the first place. I got mine because of two blokes in the pub. One told me they are bullet proof, and the other told me that they are idiot proof - the latter is me, so they were right on both counts.
It's got be in pretty good condition but it doesn't need to be fancy. Half the whistles and flutes that can be bought aren't a must at all, but are more a comfort choice. I wish I'd known about heated grips for example.
With the benefit of hindsight, I think that if you dream and can get away, then just go for it. Sort out the hassles along the way. Chances are you won't have any with the bike at all. I'm in awe of how reliable mine has been, and how much fun to ride. Lucky I met the blokes in the pub eh.
Travelling Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #735
CeNTeRed
Congadude

Oddometer: 5
Perfect

Bought back in '91 and probably done 170,000k... Third speedo so I'm not quite sure. Stock standard except for the sweet
43l Wudo tank, oil cooler off an old r80/something, bash plate off the later GS models and a collecter box guard made from stainless steel I found. I've recently rebuilt the motor minus main bearings and added an Ohlins shock after the Koni I had on it died after 17 years!. Goes anywhere (almost), living in the center of Australia, it's perfect for outback touring and anywhere else I go. Simple, can do most of the work myself and needs few other tools than the ones that come with it.
Attached Images

CeNTeRed is offline   Reply With Quote