User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
broop OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Heat on 2014 GSA Water Boxer

I have the above bike and do live in the warm climate of Dallas TX. As it has gotten hot I am noticing significant heat hitting the back of my right leg at highway speeds. My dealer represents that I am the only one who gas mentioned this. NOTE; I do have the machineart rear fender extender. Has anyone experienced this on their beast?

I appreciate any responses and/or thoughts.
Barry
Trailers are for Dirt Bikes
broop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
Rick_W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Some have experienced, others have not. Some say it depends on what you wear. I feel it occasionally wearing textile pants and Alpinestars boots, other times I don't.

I will say that my right pannier gets significantly warmer than the left every ride.

Long thread on here somewhere.
Rick_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,436
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993009

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=heat

Try a search before posting new threads.

JR356
JR356 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
SS Twin
GS 4 ADV

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by broop View Post
I have the above bike and do live in the warm climate of Dallas TX. As it has gotten hot I am noticing significant heat hitting the back of my right leg at highway speeds. My dealer represents that I am the only one who gas mentioned this. NOTE; I do have the machineart rear fender extender. Has anyone experienced this on their beast?

Barry
Barry, congrats on the new GSA. First off, your dealer is most likely not being straight with you. The new LCs give off heat to the rider, no matter what. Above 85* F there is an increased amount of radiated and conducted heat from the engine, radiator exits, and possibly exhaust. I have experienced it several times on mine. More on the right, more intense at speed, and what your wearing (shorts and sneakers excluded) does not to seem to matter much. Actually, I think mesh pants with more mesh lower may make the heat effect worse.

Also, my GS has the MachineArt fender on the rear and there is no difference on heat effect. Actually, the worst experience for me was at about 500 miles with mesh pants on a HOT humid Florida day in late June. The fender extender had not yet been installed. Just rode again this morning (now at 2000 miles), temps in the low 90s, and was noticeable, but not unbearable. Check out Mountainguy's thread on the radiator deflector he made. I think that is THE answer to the heat issues. At speed (above 60 or so), the exit air from the radiators is forced back on to the riders lower extremities instead of flowing past as it does at lower speeds. Today I held my mesh gloved hands down by me knees (one at a time!) and felt the hot radiator blast right next to my knees and lower thighs.

This is my only gripe with the GS LC. Otherwise it is a great bike, superior in every aspect to my 2005 GS which I loved for the 36k miles I rode it. No mechanical, electrical, or performance issues so far. Fingers crossed!

"Looking for adventure!"
SS Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
broop OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
Thanks JR356

I tried that but to no avail, most certainly my skills need improvement. Thanks for the info
Old 08-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
broop OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Twin View Post
Barry, congrats on the new GSA. First off, your dealer is most likely not being straight with you. The new LCs give off heat to the rider, no matter what. Above 85* F there is an increased amount of radiated and conducted heat from the engine, radiator exits, and possibly exhaust. I have experienced it several times on mine. More on the right, more intense at speed, and what your wearing (shorts and sneakers excluded) does not to seem to matter much. Actually, I think mesh pants with more mesh lower may make the heat effect worse.

Also, my GS has the MachineArt fender on the rear and there is no difference on heat effect. Actually, the worst experience for me was at about 500 miles with mesh pants on a HOT humid Florida day in late June. The fender extender had not yet been installed. Just rode again this morning (now at 2000 miles), temps in the low 90s, and was noticeable, but not unbearable. Check out Mountainguy's thread on the radiator deflector he made. I think that is THE answer to the heat issues. At speed (above 60 or so), the exit air from the radiators is forced back on to the riders lower extremities instead of flowing past as it does at lower speeds. Today I held my mesh gloved hands down by me knees (one at a time!) and felt the hot radiator blast right next to my knees and lower thighs.

This is my only gripe with the GS LC. Otherwise it is a great bike, superior in every aspect to my 2005 GS which I loved for the 36k miles I rode it. No mechanical, electrical, or performance issues so far. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for the great info. Mine has about 3000 miles on it, is my 3rd GSA and by far my favorite. I will research the suggested thread for the cure.
Cheers,
Barry
Old 08-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Bikerboy108
Pat from Jersey

Oddometer: 904
It comes off the engine.. Right side cylinder is closer to your leg than the left one... Once it gets above 80 degrees ambient temp. I start noticing it...
Old 08-11-2014, 01:09 AM   #8
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Twin View Post

This story seems weird to me. On my GS LC I can't feel any heat. On my previous BMW (an 800) my legs got roasted. On the GS now the heat goes around me.

I do have to say that I always wear my leather boots and proper motorcycling pants, so my clothing blocks quite a bit of heat. Next to that I am rather short so my legs are further away from the cilinders.

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Taunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
This story seems weird to me. On my GS LC I can't feel any heat. On my previous BMW (an 800) my legs got roasted. On the GS now the heat goes around me.

I do have to say that I always wear my leather boots and proper motorcycling pants, so my clothing blocks quite a bit of heat. Next to that I am rather short so my legs are further away from the cilinders.

Umm, do people with short legs get different footpegs taht are farther away from the cylinders?
Taunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Astolfo
Wicked Slow

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
@OP.... be careful of the post police! They usually do not have much to add to anything like real LEOs
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunt View Post
Umm, do people with short legs get different footpegs taht are farther away from the cylinders?
Nope, but due to shorter legs my knee angle is a lot smaller.

(and I do got different pegs)

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astolfo View Post
@OP.... be careful of the post police! They usually do not have much to add to anything like real LEOs
What are you adding?,I at least gave the guy some direction.

I test rode a 14 GSA(and am very close to buying) on a very hot day(98-100) and did notice the heat,but with proper gear it did not seem such a big issue.Long distance effects in those temps may be a different story.
My 05 GS has only had this issue on a very few occasions,with prolonged temps over 100 in areas such as the Mojave in CA.

JR356

JR356 screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 02:35 PM
JR356 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Motorcycles do that. The only bike I've had that didn't give off heat was my 916 because of the undertail exhaust. But you got to enjoy the fumes coming back into your helmet.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
Twisted1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
Motorcycles do that. The only bike I've had that didn't give off heat was my 916 because of the undertail exhaust. But you got to enjoy the fumes coming back into your helmet.
Totally agree
My HP4 puts out many times more heat.
I love riding my 14 GS in the summer during the day in Florida.
Its like night and day....

Somewhere in my manual I saw this German word.
Quityerbitchin
Twisted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
bdx
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by broop View Post

Barry
broop - Once you get into this issue you will find the heat complaints keep getting lumped together with the GSW. Some GSW riders are complaining about radiator heat on the front of their right leg and some GSAW riders are complaining about heat on the back of the calf and bottom of right thigh.

I have the exact same issue as you with the same bike and I don't have any fender extenders. The issue only comes up above 85degrees. I wear Aerostich Darien pants and they can get so hot on the bottom of my thigh that they feel like they are melting on my leg. To me, the heat is coming from below and behind. I feel it is an exhaust issue. With or without panniers didn't seem to make much of a difference. I don't have an answer or a solution at this time, but just so you know, you are not the only one. Some riders have experienced this and some have not. There are also going to be people who will try to convince you that "motorcycle engines put off heat - quit whining" and they will give you their riding resume and tell you they just "tough it out". Then the "Post Police" will tell you to do your homework before making a post. However, this is a forum to discuss questions and issues with bikes and you can post whatever you want to regarding questions and issues with your bike. Not posting my "resume" but just know that I have ridden enough to know the difference between typical engine heat and "What the hell is going on with my right leg".

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote