User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Kamakura Kid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
an Airhead here is not an Airhead there

I may end up joining the ranks of HD V-Rod owners. Doing some research in the V-Rod associated fora, it appears the term "Airhead" in that world is a derogatory word used to describe air-cooled HD owners whom turn their noses up at the V-Rod as "not a real Harley." Probably the same chowderheads that say the same thing about Sporties.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakura Kid View Post
I may end up joining the ranks of HD V-Rod owners. Doing some research in the V-Rod associated fora, it appears the term "Airhead" in that world is a derogatory word used to describe air-cooled HD owners whom turn their noses up at the V-Rod as "not a real Harley." Probably the same chowderheads that say the same thing about Sporties.
Is that the same crowd that says "Loud pipes save lives"? That "helmets cause riders to overheat and crash"? That "helmets limit peripheral vision and cause people to crash"? The one's that call the place for the pillion the "bitch seat"? etc.?

"Airhead" in the BMW lexicon was a self-deprecating jab at our simple, old ways, it seems that "Airhead" in the Harley lexicon may be a well-deserved pejorative.

p.s. Don't delay with pics and stories of the V-Rod.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
[QUOTE=fishkens;14762290]Is that the same crowd that says "Loud pipes save lives"? That "helmets cause riders to overheat and crash"? That "helmets limit peripheral vision and cause people to crash"? The one's that call the place for the pillion the "bitch seat"? etc.?

I am reminded of the die-hard Harley Big-Twin rider who thought everything else was beneath him. Until he had to ride his girlfriend's Honda to the shop for service. In a few weeks, the H-D was gone.

Some learn.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,874
First off, I'm of the school that it doesn't matter what you ride, as long as your ride (except for the asshats that bought that facial expression with their H-D that looks more like "my prostate exam is hurting more than I thought" - the ones that bought the so called lifestyle.

But, anyway, with regard to the V-Rod thing. One of my good friends from when I worked out at the Port, and lives in my subdivision has had a Road King or whatever for a good while. His wife (who by some weird coincidence graduated high school with my GF) got interested in bikes and picked up a good deal on a mildly customized Sporty. After a few rides with their regular group where they might run down and do a lap around Lake Okeechobee, she felt that the Sporty was straining to keep up with the "big" Harleys. So she found a great deal on a V-Rod and traded the Sporty. Her husband got around to riding her V-Rod and next thing you know, he trades his big ole air cooled genuine H-D on a V-Rod.

Traditional or not, those bikes have something going for them.

I'm not a BMW snob, I just happen to own two quite different ones right now. But BMW is going through the same kinds of issues with its loyal following. The market is changing. The ridership is changing (aging). There are new/more/younger riders out there that all motorcycle manufacturers want and need to capture. New technology is necessary for that and to meet new and future emissions constraints.

Even without my degree in psychology, I can tell you that human nature resists change. Even if its good. (There will always be a percentage that seek change, but lots resist it).

So back to the V-Rod bashing..... I don't think the H-D dealers sell that lifestyle scowly face with that bike. For some good reasons. It's a good bike. Just new and different.

Just ride what you got and smile for doG's sake.

Philosophizing over.....

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Kamakura Kid OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
p.s. Don't delay with pics and stories of the V-Rod.
I take delivery this Sunday.

I'll post some pix, but its a dead stock 2002 base model. Silver/brushed aluminum finish.

This is my muse. Except I'm keeping the stock rear tire width, and use a more neighbor-friendly pipe. Maybe even use a "Goose Replica" fairing. Note the position of the foot controls. SWEET!:

More pics here of my muse:

http://ttandco.com/hp/gallery/galler...dex.php?page=2

You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the V-Rod, then click on them five gobbledygook red characters followed by a >> belwo the V-Rod pic.

Here's the pipe I'm planning on using. Pretty much a JN ripoff of a Supertrapp or WP disk system. Scroll to the bottom of the linked webpage to find the V-Rod Internal system.

http://www.motorstage.co.jp/products/vrsc/vrsc-v-speed

Of course, everything subject to change due to whim and/or cash flow.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
V-Rods are great bikes, I wouldn't care who called what what. Lots of bikes are airheads. Lots of Harley riders are too.

My brother had one and when visiting I rode it with him on the back (about 180 lbs) I was the seasoned rider. The motor is nothing short of amazing. It's like a rheostat, just twist the throttle in any gear anytime.

The mileage range is probably too short, tank looks small and I'd rather have the ole beemer in the mountains, so it isn't my cup of tea.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakura Kid View Post
I take delivery this Sunday.

This is my muse.

Congratulations!

Two measly thoughts:
- not too loud now
- the saddle on your muse looks a little bulky to my eyes. It would be nice to reduce some of the bulk, especially in the back hump.

Enjoy.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,482
just consider the source!!!

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,863
Your knees have to be jammed into your chest to use those foot pegs, right?
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
Kamakura Kid OP
Studly Adventurer

When I get my V-Rod, I'll post a couple pics. Nothing remarkable other than Japanese plates, though. A V-rod really belongs in Road Warriors, but since its an extension of this topic which started here, I'll do so in this thread. No flaming, please.

Once I start modding the thing, though, I'll shift to RW for a project thread.

I really know nothing about the bike. I understand the gas tank looking thingie is just a cover, the tank itself is under the seat. I have no idea what the capacity is, but unlike the US and other countries, you are never too far away from a gas station in Japan.

Glad to hear it is such a sweet engine! The mill is designed by Porsche, since HD didn't have the requisite skills as it aptly proved with the whole VR debacle. I have a buddy here in Japan whom is really urging me to get into the Porsche world here, but the price of entry is a bit too steep for me. Much like the M-B 500e, with the V-Rod I can go to Porsche meetings and such as a fringe hanger-on. Awesome! M-B 500e has a Porsche emblem on the steering wheel, I'm going to have to stick an emblem on the engine somewhere.

Yeah, them rearset pegs are designed for the average Japanese riders, I'll have to experiment with various placements to find a comfy spot. Between Ohira-san of Little Wing Engineering and Daisuke-san of Animal Boat (the two shops are next door to each other), fabrication is not going to be a problem. Its gonna be neat seeing a V-Rod parked amongst a bunch of old American and Japanese bikes.

Kamakura Kid screwed with this post 12-23-2010 at 06:27 PM
Kamakura Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
just remember u have to drop the whole engine to adjust the valves every 5k. $500-700 at the stealers.
great engine, looks great and sounds great. poor reviews in the handling dept.
good luck with your new ride.
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
Kamakura Kid OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider200 View Post
just remember u have to drop the whole engine to adjust the valves every 5k. $500-700 at the stealers.
great engine, looks great and sounds great. poor reviews in the handling dept.
good luck with your new ride.

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Were Airheads called Airheads before they came out with the Oilhead? Or were they just called boxers?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
They were called boxers. And before K-Bikes, they were called BMWs.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote