ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #3946
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Bikes I've used to tag:

2008 Kawasaki Versys
2010 KTM 990 ADV
2013 KTM 500 XC-W

Rob
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #3947
60pan
NDAWND

Oddometer: 778
Thank you all for the help on the BIKES list. It's looking good.
Charleetho. You have like a dozen bikes to ID
We have a bunch of KTM ADVs with no years?
Let me know what ya got so I can pretty up the list.
Thank you

BIKE LIST LINKY

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post21848751
60pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #3948
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Mine is a 2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Old 07-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #3949
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post

Almost washed my bike last night, good thing I didn't. May be my LAST CHANCE to grab a mid week Tag for awhile.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #3950
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post

Almost washed my bike last night, good thing I didn't. May be my LAST CHANCE to grab a mid week Tag for awhile.

Good call. Just got back from the new tag. My bike is decidedly dusty!

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #3951
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

New tag in the ring of dust:

Can a street bike get there? Um . . .

This is Chimney Rock. Or Camel Rock, depending on who made the map and which side of the state line they were standing on when they gave the rock a name.

To duplicate this photo, you need to ride a few hundred yards into Wyoming, where it is known as Chimney Rock. On the Colorado side, they call it Camel Rock, for obvious reasons:

It’s a gorgeous location, with numerous great routes to get there. Whoever grabs this tag will be glad they were up for an adventure. It was my destination in my first ride report on ADV. Since then I’ve taken several groups of inmates here. Prairie Rider has ridden past at least twice with me, including the day she met Hellsickle. (They are now married.) She showed the ADV spirit that day, and I’m guessing that one or two of you lot have that spirit too.

I rode a street bike (a 1970 Honda CB350) in that first ride report to Chimney Rock. Today I rode an R1100RT Sport Touring bike with street tires. If you have two skills to rub together, you can easily get to this location with a street bike on street tires. There are roads approaching from five different directions, and you can ride a street bike on any of those routes. A dual sport will be much more fun, of course.

The rules say that I need to tell you if there are dirt roads needed to reach the tag. Since this is a no-bullshit tag, I’ll tell you: there are dirt roads necessary to reach this tag. You can approach from Chambers Lake (the southwest route) and ride 34 miles of good dirt roads. (Highly recommended route for the scenery along the Laramie River Road) You can approach from the southeast using Cherokee Park Road, and ride forty-two miles of dirt. (Another highly recommended route, for the scenery.) You can approach from the east, from Tie Siding using Sportsman Lake Road, and ride eighteen miles of dirt each direction. You can approach from the northeast (from the cement factory in Laramie) using Sand Creek Road and ride twenty-two miles of dirt. (This was my route today, on an R1100RT. Forty-four miles of dirt round trip.) Or you can approach from the north using Brubaker Lane off Highway 230 and ride sixteen miles of dirt each way. Or you can have a grand adventure and ride out a different way than you came in.

If you are on a dirt-happy sort of machine, and you want an astoundingly good DS route to grab this tag, ride Poudre Canyon up to Chambers Lake. Ride Green Ridge trail from Chambers Lake to the north and east. At the north end of Green Ridge, head north to Deadman Road. Take Deadman west to Sand Creek Pass Road, then FR336 north to Cherokee Park Road. Take Cherokee Park east and then Sand Creek north to the border and the tag. You will NOT be disappointed with this route if you are up for a real DS ride. If you do this route, take a buddy. You don’t want to get stuck on Green Ridge in the middle of the week. It is a Looooong way out of there, and you won’t see a soul until the weekend.

The rock is in Colorado, but if you want to reproduce this photo, you’ll need to be on the north side of the rock, in Wyoming, if barely.

There will be no simple, boring “grab” in the title when you snag this tag. I promise you an adventure, and you owe us the story!

And here's the incentive to grab this tag: beer. If anyone grabs this tag on a street bike, I'll buy them a beer. If anyone grabs this tag on a DS bike and photographs their bike at one of the puddles on Green Ridge Trail, I'll buy them a beer. (And I suspect they will then buy me a beer for suggesting that route!)

Cowboy up and go get 'em!

Cowboy screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 04:51 PM
Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #3952
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
New tag in the ring of dust:

There will be no simple, boring “grab” in the title when you snag this tag. I promise you an adventure, and you owe us the story!

Cowboy up and go get 'em!
Now that's a proper tag!
Great work Cowboy!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #3953
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,971
Nice! 'Ive never been there. If it doesn't get picked up by this weekend I'm on it!

You Northerners better get it before me....
Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #3954
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
Nice! 'Ive never been there. If it doesn't get picked up by this weekend I'm on it!

You Northerners better get it before me....
Those northerners running around Fort Collins on dirt bikes should be right on top of this tag. They're just lucky I grabbed a tag as I was headed north. Poor Huerfano County is still calling.

On the upside, we get to add a new county for this tag anyway. While the rock is in Larimer County, the bike will have to be parked in Albany County, Wyoming to duplicate the tag picture.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #3955
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 775
I'm up for it but have too much job-like activity going on until Sunday. Looks like a great ride though. I'll have to take that Green Ridge Trail loop with or without a tag soon. Anybody wanna tag team it Sunday? Possibly Saturday about 11am if I'm lucky.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #3956
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
I'm up for it but have too much job-like activity going on until Sunday. Looks like a great ride though. I'll have to take that Green Ridge Trail loop with or without a tag soon. Anybody wanna tag team it Sunday? Possibly Saturday about 11am if I'm lucky.
Sadly I'll be back down to Elizabeth by the weekend. That really would be a fun loop, especially if you add a return route along Cherokee Park Road. Any DS loop that includes Poudre Canyon and Green Ridge makes for a great day. Add Bald Mountain/FR517, Rist Canyon, and maybe Old Flowers to the route . . . bliss. More bliss? Add Kelly Flats, and heart attack hill (going downhill, please! Thanks!)

Old 07-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #3957
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 700
That is a most excellent tag Cowboy!
Perfect for the monsoon season (?).

Last time I saw that rock was so long ago I don't think it was actually eroded out of the landscape yet and the dinos were still busy tracking up the mud before it could dry. (Chased a bunch of 3-wheelers up the Green Ridge trail)
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #3958
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
That is a most excellent tag Cowboy!
Perfect for the monsoon season (?).
I appreciated the recent rains, as they kept the dust down on my ride out and back to place that tag. I've also been on the Sportsman Lake road recently, and there is an enormous puddle in the middle of the road every half mile or so, but they are easy enough to ride around.

I suspect Green Ridge may be at its mud-festiest best after the recent rains!

I hear tell Green Ridge is a great place to cool down on a ride, as Helen indicates in this lovely photo from a perfectly named thread: the Sodden Bitch Ride.

I loved the caption Prairie Rider included when she posted that photo: "I was trying to keep [Helen's] bitch-dust down, so I shoved her in a puddle! "

Old 07-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #3959
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Tag.

I was out of town last week and weekend and of course the tag migrated back north. My wife will be out of town this weekend leaving me on dad patrol, so I knew tonight was my only chance to get the tag.

I came home from work and helped cook dinner and get the little one fed so my wife wouldn't mind me disappearing for a few hours. It was almost 7 when I was ready to go and I knew that would be pushing it with the remaining daylight. I forgot that the last time out on my bike my battery was starting to act up so I was a little bummed when I hit the starter and I got rrrrrrrrr rrrrrrr rrrrrr. I tried bump starting it but that just wasn't going to happen with a cold bike and a basically flat driveway. I was starting to drip sweat when I decided to give up on the bike but I couldn't give up on the ride. I told my wife that I was stealing her bike and took off about 7:20.

I wasn't really enjoying the ride since I was worried about running out of daylight. I was pretty sure that I could get the tag but knew that I couldn't leave my own adventurous tag. My route there was just 287 to Sportsman Lake Rd to Sand Creek Rd. Sportsman Lake Rd was a little like Green Ridge, there were about 15 mud holes across the road. Fortunately there were easy tracks around because the mud was heavy, greasy clay. I tested one of them and didn't think it was a good idea to get stuck out there in the dark.

After getting the tag I figured that I would just go back the way I came since it was open grassland and I'd hopefully have a chance to see the suicidal antelope/deer/cows before they could get me. I did enjoy the ride back a little more. The temperature was great and there wasn't much traffic.

I'll get a new tag up in the morning.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #3960
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradical View Post
Tag.

I told my wife that I was stealing her bike and took off about 7:20.
You couldn't have picked a more comfortable bike than an F650GS for those roads. Bummer your stress over the time got in the way of your enjoyment, though.

How about those mudholes? I'm not gonna complain, as we needed that rain desperately. Good thing they all had easy ride-arounds!

Thanks for helping me bring Albany County, Wyoming into the Tag-o-Rama, and congrats on your double-digit score!

Cowboy screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 12:08 AM