ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #556
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,917

That is a sexy motorcycle!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #557
Turbo
used to be XC700116

Oddometer: 4,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
That is a sexy motorcycle!

Thanks, I really like it. I'd been looking for one for a while and just couldn't find the one that both fit the budget and was in good condition. Then I found this one in Silverthorne and snatched it up as fast as I could. It had 447 miles on it when I bought it about a month ago for $1K less than the one I had talked to a dealer about with 883 miles on it. I'm VERY pleased with it.

Now I'm saving up more $$ for farkles
Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #558
Charleetho OP
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,623

I thought the tag was that Buffalo out by the Colorado - Wyoming border. I went as far as Ault from out in the Pawnee Grass Lands and decided I needed to head home. I am riding along 85 south and what do I see. A BUFFALO Statue. This was pure coincidence

Fort Vasquez is a 1835 fur-trading fort by founded Louis Vasquez and Andrew Sublette.
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)

Charleetho screwed with this post 04-16-2011 at 03:18 PM
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #559
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleetho View Post

The Tag O Rama has risen from the grave!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #560
Charleetho OP
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Since nobody went and got the new tag I would like to propose a new tag. This place is much cooler and interesting.

Ok with you guys?

This place is special. There is an English phone booth and a dovecote. It is a monument to a loved son built by his parents.

Above the door of the dovecote it reads.
This dovecote was built in memory of our son Jamie Willan aka “Dirt” 7-22-1977 – 2-1-2004 “Our Brother – Who is in the light” Peace.
A nearby plaque reads.
This English dovecote (pronounced dove-kot) is a replica of one built in Sussex, England in the 18th century. The stone used is a flint and is imported from Dorset, England.
Dovecotes were extremely common in Medieval Europe reaching the height of popularity during Victorian Times. They were built within the grounds of Manor Houses for the purpose of herding doves and pigeons, These birds were raised for various reasons but mainly as a food source. Their Increadible homing instincts make them ideal for carrying messages across enemy lines during WW1.
Today Doves are simply appreciated for their grace and beauty as well as being a symbol of peace. With this in mind we invite all to stay a while and enjoy this peaceful garden.
For clues to find this, It is in a town with a very popular Irish named Steak Pub where you could order a glass with half ice tea and lemonade and say the surname of the nearby lake.
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #561
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Since nobody went and got the new tag I would like to propose a new tag. This place is much cooler and interesting.

Ok with you guys?

I thought you got the tag, and earned the right to the placement. Didn't you?
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #562
Charleetho OP
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I thought you got the tag, and earned the right to the placement. Didn't you?
I placed it and then moved my placement. I deleted my original choice.

Tag on!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #563
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,453

More in a. Bit ....
Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #564
Charleetho OP
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post

More in a. Bit ....
Very good! How did you find that place?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #565
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Quote:
Very good! How did you find that place?
Well your hints (as always are great) helped get me to the right area. From there it was a picture of your bike in front of the Dovecote, some 'directions' from a local after showing him the picture, and a bit of meandering until I stumbled upon it.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #566
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
So, where was it?
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #567
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
So, where was it?
Closer to you than me!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #568
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

So, I've got some time this morning and it looks like a great morning to ride. Using Charlies clues I head off to capture the Tag.

Wow - beautiful morning, I bet Mac will snipe me again since he was looking at the thread yesterday and it was such a great morning, surely he will beat me to it as he is probably much closer.

Better pound some pavement to get there quick. Down I-25 and take the Larkspur exit. It was a very cool clear morning, even some snow left over in the shady areas around Larkspur.

As I get closer to my destination I see something lurking in the hills.

As I get closer, my suspicions are confirmed, FOG! Will I be able to find the Tag in the Fog? Got a ways to go yet, better hurry.

Perfect, it looks like everything to the South may be fogged in. Hopefully Mac is sitting at his computer sipping some coffee, all fogged in and checking the weather to see when it will clear so he can go ride.

OK, it looks like I should have some good visibility under the fog layer.

So I arrived in Palmer Lake and got off the highway to start looking around for the Tag. These little towns are always so much bigger when you start wandering around on all of the little roads looking for something.

After spending about 20 minutes looking for some clues that might lead me to the Tag, I figured I'd ask for help. Oh, there's the library, all good librarians will know where this is. Ooops, not open til 10 AM and I am not waiting around for an hour for them!

I bet this guy across the street at the Police station raking the pine needles will know. So I pull out the picture of Charlies bike in front of the Tag and ask if he knows where it is.

"Ahh, yeah. Haven't been over that way for a bit."

Me, "Can you tell me how to get there?"

Him, "Sure. You follow this (pointing) road around to Crescent, then right onto Shacagwa, Stay right to Buena Vista then I think Rosita....that will get you close. Want me to take you over there!! That would be the easiest!"

Me, "No, that's half the fun, trying to find it."

No time for pics of all of these events or I'll get sniped! So after wandering around, up and down some hills and making a couple of circles around the One Way streets, yes - one way streets even in Palmer Lake, I finally connect to Crescen-Shacagwa-Buena Vista-Rosita-but then what?? I went up and down some steep gravel, rutted roads that just lead to private homes. Hmm...

I was about to give up and as I was coming up this road:

I finally see this:

Got it. Now for the hour long 'load the crappy' Blackberry cell phone pic through my email, cut-n-paste from the photo hosting site - into ADV routine.

Cool little place. Some other pics from the area. The intersection:

The road home

atokad screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 06:49 PM
atokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #569
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 994
That was an excellent tag location! Thanks, I've got something to look for next time I take the back way to Denver.

I was trying to figure out the location, without any luck, when I found this via Google.

http://kaffeinebuzz.com/index.php/co...icle/1634.html

Keep the good tags coming.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #570
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

OK. So here is the new Tag. Very easy to get to, can be done via all paved roads. Some hints/history: Although this building is the centerpiece of the property, I have never seen it with my own eyes.

There are two entrances that I know of to the property. This one is the next Tag.

The property that this gate leads to is on the National Historic Registry. The most recent landowner that held the property, in the mid 1900's, pioneered the breeding and raising of a certain livestock in this part of the country in spite of the fact that others said it couldn't be done. She proved them wrong and they are now bred all over the world in every type of climate. The property is now part of a historic foundation and is only available through appointments and special tours. Hence the fact that I have never seen it.

The Tag I placed is in front of the gate while it is open, from the road the entrance looks like this.

Tag On!

atokad screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 12:58 PM
atokad is offline   Reply With Quote