User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
tennessee thumper OP
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 699
Airhead Tranny Circlip Alternative?

Looking at a 93 PD with 34K. Current owner sent me the following email when I inquired about the circlip. The email is from Johnny Scheff at Motoworks in Chicago, IL.

As a backwords hillbilly deep in the Ozark mountains of Arkansas I have no idea about what goes on in the big city of Chicago. Maybe someone is familar with the shop, mechanic or the "alternative" mod to the output shaft described in the note.

FYI, this is crossed posted in MOA forum...my buddy beat me to the punch.

Email as follows:

Per his recollection Steve did not install a circlip. However he has devised an alternative method of preventing the bearing play that is the root of the problem, and that was performed. To be frank I don't understand exactly what he does, (he's off today and I called him, from his phone explanation it would be tough for me to cogently explain the process, but it it involves a minor machining mod to the end of the shaft. Cool?

tennessee thumper screwed with this post 12-24-2010 at 07:02 AM
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
TT:

The "Circlip Fix" also involves machining the end of the shaft. It machines a groove that you put the circlip into. The circlip holds everything together. I'd like to see how putting a groove in the shaft helps if no circlip.

Here's a picture I took at Matt Parkhouse's shop. The unit on the left is a trans shaft and bearing w/o the circlip. The one on the right has the circlip in position. You may already be totally familiar with this but I wasn't until I saw it in person. Then I "got" it.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:12 AM   #3
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
Thanks for the photo, It sure makes thing clear!