Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #16
toycloser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Nice bike. I would learn how to use photobucket.com It makes posting photos much easier.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Ahhh Man.... Well, Merry X-mas, another XR600 rebuild thread

Let's see what we have for stocking stuffers:

Xr's only skid plate, Fredette chain guard (repackaged by moose), Moose shark fin, ASV pro clutch/brake combo, powder coated upper clamp, kick stand and peg bracket and some Plastic Renew! Wow. And not in the picture there was also the XR's only magnetic drain plugs and the XR's only temp dipstick. Oh boy. looking like it's gonna be a pretty cool bike!
Attached Images

DRZ400SM1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Had to have the cylinder machined to go to the .25 over piston. I saw a pic like this one before (XR400 and XR600 rebuild thread?) so I thought I would copy it with my own version.

And I was lucky, the scoring of the cylinder didn't come out with the bore. It wasn't until the hone that it finally polished up. Barely made it, although made it just the same.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

So that's it for today I think. I need to get some other work done. But stay tuned, there's sure to be plenty more to come. Same bat time same bat channel.

The head should be back from XR's Only on Monday with a cleaning, a valve job and some fancy new XR's Only valves. The originals were sucked in a bit so this could make a pretty big difference.

Also, XR's Only said my springs spec'd out, and that I would be fine running their valves with the stock springs, although do you guys think I should replace the springs with some new stock ones just to be sure? Let me know.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #20
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
You know that the day after tomorrow your going to have to rename this thread. I might try to squeeze a few extra days out of it.

Heres mine. Looks just like yours.

Steve,

Your frame is looking killer. Is this another XR you are building? What's the story. Oh, and I called the shop you use in Petaluma. They were great on the phone. Very knowledgeable. The only reason I went somewhere else is that I like to support local business and that is what XR's only is to me... well... more local that Petaluma that is. If anyone is thinking of using Steve's recommended shop for work, from the little experience I had with the, they are awesome. Very professional and very knowledgeable. Highly recommended .

So back to the build.

I've got a few questions for ya or whoever else wants to chime in, so let the learning begin:

1. When reassembling, do I install the rear linkage system before the airbox to avoid possible PC damage?

2. I cleaned the oil res with some parts cleaning and plugged the holes with golf tees (I've been reading you posts as well as some others) prior to powder coating, although inevitably, as you know, there is a little sand that makes its way into the tank. This build is including a full engine tear down and I can't afford to do it twice. What is your best recommendation for cleaning the oil res after powder coating.

3. Wheel bearings look good for now, although they are cheap to replace and I don't want to run into issues later. I kind of want to replace with some US bearings from a supply house. Do you know which bearings I should order? Size? Brand? Should I just go with some moose or pivot works? They seem more expensive than a supply house and they are Chinese.

4. The only bearing in the swing arm are linkage system that seems bad is the lower shock mount bearing in the linkage system. Should just replace that with genuine Honda? The rest seem fine when just moving parts around, up down, etc. Is that enough of a check. I didn't feel any play.

5. The Steering stem felt a little ruff. When I took it apart the bearings were almost dry. Could I just repack with say... Maxima water proof grease and call it a day or should I splurge on new bearings here too. If bearings, Honda or Pivot works?

6. And one last Q for the time being. Honda wants us to use their moly grease for the suspension on the steering head. That stuff is pricy, and like I said, I don't have a ton of money so I'm picking and choosing what I need to do right now. Will the Maxima waterproof work or should I spend the extra coin?
Old 12-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #21
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Photo Bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toycloser View Post
Nice bike. I would learn how to use photobucket.com It makes posting photos much easier.
Is it free? If so I'll get right on it. I'm all about easy.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #22
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

XR's Only oil temp dip stick

I need some help fellow ADRiders.

I have th XR's Only oil temp dip stick. I also have a Scotts damper that goes from bike to bike. I would like the damper to sit on the XR for a while. I was thinking about using the Scotts bolt on kit. So I had the frame PC'ed and I was going to order the bolt on damper kit. Now I'm reading that the bolt on kit might not clear the XR's Only dip stick . Any experience. Of course no manufacturer will admit if there is problem, so I need to see what everyone else is thinking. Is there any other mount that might work? I'm not big on replacing the upper tree for a custom. I just want a cheap (relatively) solution to use my Scotts.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Trailtech Vapor ? I would like an ODO (for maintenance intervals) and a tach (not that I'm revving the beast but it's good to know).

Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #23
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ400SM1981 View Post
Is it free? If so I'll get right on it. I'm all about easy.
yup..free

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #24
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
I need some help fellow ADRiders.

I have th XR's Only oil temp dip stick. I also have a Scotts damper that goes from bike to bike. I would like the damper to sit on the XR for a while. I was thinking about using the Scotts bolt on kit. So I had the frame PC'ed and I was going to order the bolt on damper kit. Now I'm reading that the bolt on kit might not clear the XR's Only dip stick . Any experience. Of course no manufacturer will admit if there is problem, so I need to see what everyone else is thinking. Is there any other mount that might work? I'm not big on replacing the upper tree for a custom. I just want a cheap (relatively) solution to use my Scotts.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Trailtech Vapor ? I would like an ODO (for maintenance intervals) and a tach (not that I'm revving the beast but it's good to know).

Thanks again everyone.

The old XR`s Only temp stick was quite large .......the newer version you have isn`t much larger than the OE stick.......i don`t know for sure,,but it shouldn`t be problem?????????????

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #25
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Oil temp dipstick and photobucket

I'll look into the photobucket thing. Thanks for the info.

And the dipstick isn't that much bigger, although I had heard that people were having to shave the winged portion of the stock dipstick for clearance. I might try it just see what happens, although we'll see.

So I should also point out, although I think I'm rather mechanically inclined, THIS IS MY FIRST FULL REBUILD PROJECT. There's a bit of a learning curve in progress right now.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #26
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Looks like the Brown truch Santa came a little early

Just learned myself a little photobucket. So here is the head and some pics upon return from XR's Only.

Just received my head back from XR's Only. Looks alright, although I have some issues/concerns. I asked for a cleaning, valve job, and new valves (I disassembled the head prior to sending it and the valves looked sunk in).

What I received was the head with only the intake valves replaced, and the top of the head was not cleaned. Earlier when I spoke on the phone with XR's Only they had stated that their machinist would replace all that needed to be replaced. So apparently I didn't need new valves..., although I just want to add that I was under the impression that I was getting some... and a cleaned head. I also inquired about the cam journals in a letter that I send along with the head and heard nothing back. Can I assume it is good to go now? Please please please let me know the inside scoop.

Also, the black around the intake valves, can I take it that the new valve seals will take care of that mess in the future?

Old 12-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #27
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,661
Photobucket is free....but if your thread gets a lot of hits you can exceed the bandwidth provided with the freebie. They are only $39 for two years though....so if your images start showing up with "bandwidth exceeded" in their place, you'll know.

Your valve springs are probably fine.

I used the TT Endurance on my XR628, there isn't really a need for a tach on that motor, and it has maintenance interval function.
I use the Vapor on liquid cooled bikes for the temp sensor.

The cam journal on my first top end looked similar to yours, and you could not feel the scuff at all. That motor was fine for a long time - but the second rebuild using that top end DID require XR's Only to weld up / machine the center journal lower half.

They do good work there, if they didn't feel your exhausts needed replacing, I wouldn't second guess. I replaced all four with Kibblewhites - my entire combustion chamber and valve faces were coated with melted aluminum blobs. They saved you a few bucks.

You might need to use a front damper mount tower to avoid interference with the oil dipstick. The XR650R I just picked up has this front mount.

re: wheel bearings. Just take your old ones out and take them to a bearing shop - they'll measure and match them.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #28
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,215
Not that I'm an expert by any means, but the wheels bearings are easily replaced, so replace as necessary, but I hate doing the steering head, so I'd replace those while she's in pieces if there's any sign of play.

I'm sure there are lots of suppliers online - don't know if OEM is good enough or if aftermarket would be better. OEM stuff is a pretty easy find at places like bike bandit or ebay.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #29
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,577
Quote:

Also, the black around the intake valves, can I take it that the new valve seals will take care of that mess in the future?

This discoloration is due to excessive heat cooking the oil in the area of the exhaust valves. It's NOT the valve seals.

And that scuff on the cam journal is also due to low oil.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #30
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Photobucket is free....but if your thread gets a lot of hits you can exceed the bandwidth provided with the freebie. They are only $39 for two years though....so if your images start showing up with "bandwidth exceeded" in their place, you'll know. Good to know.

Your valve springs are probably fine. I'll go ahead and keep them for now then. I'm already into this bike past the budget.

I used the TT Endurance on my XR628, there isn't really a need for a tach on that motor, and it has maintenance interval function.
I use the Vapor on liquid cooled bikes for the temp sensor. How has the Endurances held up for you? I had heard that they were a bit cheaper in feel and quality than the vapor.

The cam journal on my first top end looked similar to yours, and you could not feel the scuff at all. That motor was fine for a long time - but the second rebuild using that top end DID require XR's Only to weld up / machine the center journal lower half. I thought I might need to weld and grind, although they didn't say anything so I guess I can look forward to that on the next top end. How many miles do you think I can go between top ends on this bike?

They do good work there (they are the experts), if they didn't feel your exhausts needed replacing, I wouldn't second guess. I replaced all four with Kibblewhites - my entire combustion chamber and valve faces were coated with melted aluminum blobs. They saved you a few bucks. Right on XR's Only. I have heard some horror stories from then although I think my experience was good. There was some poor examples of customer relations over the phone when I asked for the progress report (just really short and didn't sound happy to be at work), although when you speak to Junior, the coversation, though always just to the point, was always good.

You might need to use a front damper mount tower to avoid interference with the oil dipstick. The XR650R I just picked up has this front mount. Congrats on the new bike. I have two friends with plated 650R's. One was a baja 100 race bike and the other is a fully build engine (complete HRC) with everything else just about stock. They are beasts and reliable as stones. You could even save some time compared to KTM maintenence. Don't know if Scotts sells a front mount for the 600. I'll look into that.

re: wheel bearings. Just take your old ones out and take them to a bearing shop - they'll measure and match them.
I need to find my local bearing supply house.