Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #31
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Steering stem bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Not that I'm an expert by any means, but the wheels bearings are easily replaced, so replace as necessary, but I hate doing the steering head, so I'd replace those while she's in pieces if there's any sign of play. There wasn't really play, although there wasn't any grease when I disassembled. I was thinking about saving some coin, although I think I might just replace them now. Is the only way to replace with a press? I have one I can get access too if needed. Are the Chinese pivot works holding up for everybody ? Should I get them or OEM? Inquiring minds need to know. Thanks.

I'm sure there are lots of suppliers online - don't know if OEM is good enough or if aftermarket would be better. OEM stuff is a pretty easy find at places like bike bandit or ebay.
Thanks again.
DRZ400SM1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #32
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
And that scuff on the cam journal is also due to low oil.

Well, the bike did die due to oil starvation when the kick starter seal went kaput. So that explains the excessive heat. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #33
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Need parts!!!

I am still in the process of restoring and improving upon a '99 XR600. Looking really good so far although I'm trying to address weak points with the old XR. Funny enough, the biggest issue I'm running into is finding the aftermarket parts I want that are no longer in production.

I want a pumper carb. I installed an FCR-39 from the TT store on my DRZ and the improved response was great. Now I'm looking for a pumper for the XR and there isn't much out there. It looks like the Quicksilver is discontinued and the FCR is almost $600 bones! Are there any affordable () pumper options out there?

The brakes are another area I want to address. Are Galfer lines an adequate upgrade? If I install risers (thinking 2" with ROX and 1" extension to clear scotts) will I need a longer front brake line? Bars looks to be some old Protaper CR highs. Also do you need new cables with the risers (clutch and decomp)?

I also need a larger tank. Already have a Clark although I want something larger. Seems the Acerbis is no longer being made. Are there any tanks available over 5 gallons?

Thanks for any help. This site is awesome. It helped me 'Pimp-out' my former DRZ (stolen) and now it's helping me with the XR. I'll post pics in the show your bike thread when done.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #34
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Hey there!?!?!?

Anybody home?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #35
benno.h
cageracer

Oddometer: 437
Mate I'm currently going through the conversion process with a CRF450 FCR pumper on my XR600. I got it with throttle cables and throttle for just over $200 on ebay.

Check my thread for details.
I'll step out on a limb here and state that bikes without kick starters are just plain gay, for pansies, ladyboys, and suchlike. Furthermore, they should have to ride at the back, not speak until spoken too, and set everyone else's tents up, then cook and wash up afterwards, before sitting up all night guarding the real men's bikes.
benno.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #36
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Pumper

Benno.h,

Yep. I'm Ebaying it now. Just got out bid on an '03 CRF450R FCR carb and throttle assembly by $2.50. Sold for $162.50. Lucky buyer! I'll keep looking.

Are you using the NOSS Adapter? And what jetting are you using? I have found jetting info for the XR650L although not much for the 6hunny.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #37
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
A 41mm mikuni flatslide carb wakes the xr up,had one many years ago on my 600.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:00 AM   #38
benno.h
cageracer

Oddometer: 437
Mate my jetting is still to be sorted out but at the moment I have a #45 idle and #152 main. It seems to run ok at these settings, but keep an eye on my thread for any updates.

There's also some details on the Noss adaptor in my rebuild thread. It's ok I guess, could be better though for the money.

PS - you will have to clearance your tank to fit the carb in.
I'll step out on a limb here and state that bikes without kick starters are just plain gay, for pansies, ladyboys, and suchlike. Furthermore, they should have to ride at the back, not speak until spoken too, and set everyone else's tents up, then cook and wash up afterwards, before sitting up all night guarding the real men's bikes.
benno.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #39
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Thanks for the info

Benno.h,

Thanks for the info. And If do get the carb I'll be referencing your thread for info.

johnno950,

I think the 41mm mikuni flatslide was the hot ticket (still sold at XR's only) until the FCR came about. But thanks for the input. Any bit helps.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #40
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

And some more pics finally...

Spent the Friday and today working on the bike a little bit. Here are some pics!!!

Just setting up for the rebuild.

Got some goodies!

Man do I love bikes.

A rolling chassis by unicycle standards.

It's a roller!

Old vs. new.

Work for one night done!

I've got my work cut out for me!

Some IMS Superstocks! I love fat pegs!

Some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. I stopped by the shop and all I saw were bikes everywhere! Not only are they vendors, but they also ride. One of the top dogs has been racing hare scrambles and the such since the early eighties. Seat Concepts makes a great product. Get your seats now. I have a sneaking suspicion that these guys (and gal) are going to just keep getting bigger. And if your looking for vintage products, especially YZ's, they have another line that can cater. They're even making a vstrom seat for my buddy, but that's another thread... Back to the pics!

Never mind my grubby prints all over. This is a high quality piece of work! You'll see more pics in the light when the bike is done.

Looking good from behind!

Ever try to drill a rotor? That is some hard metal! Luckily it only took one 3/8" hole to mount the Trail Tech Vapor pick-up! Although the pickup on the caliper is CLOSE to the rotor. We're talking an 8th to a 16th away! Is that normal? I don't want to be riding down the street and rip off a pick-up sensor!

I don't think the pic does is justice.

ASV's for the brake!

ASV Pro Clutch! Don't know how the heck I'm going to make the decomp work with the hot start lever, but ASV assured me that "We can make it work." I've used ASV in the past and I think it should work.

Got a new dash!

And finally for tonight, the roller in the light.

Also added a Fredette chain guide. Two of the bolts were too short. Off the top of my head, the package included 4 M6X1.0 50mm and you need two of the bolts to be M6X1.0 65mm account for the swing are attachment tabs! Just a heads up. Three bucks later and a trip to the auto store and all was better. The product, other than the two bolts is awesome. One quality piece.

Also added a Moose shark fin. Look like it'll do it's job.

Hopefully I can finish the engine over the next week or two and give you all a ride report. I'll looking into getting a GoPro too, so maybe even some video. Stay tuned!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #41
DRZ400SM1981 OP
One meaty Adventurer

Title Change

Does anyone know how to change the title of a thread? We're a little past the holidays and I need to freshen up the title. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #42
Brauhausbier
Focused

Oddometer: 1,367
Nice XR build Like the powdercoated white frame!

I'm thinking of getting a CRF450 FCR carb off ebay..

Couple of questions -

Is the 41mm FCR any different that the 40mm? Seems they are just different via years off the CRF450 - I would assume a 4Omm would be fine on a XR6?

Tank Mods? I was reading you can buy some brackets to move the throttle mechanism to the left side from http://motorcyclecarbs.com/Keihin_FC..._W282C1611.cfm

And then get the Noss Adapter...and use CRF450 cables + throttle or will the OE XR6 throttle still work?

I'm interested! Sent you a PM too! Good luck on your build! Looking good!
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #43
Ferdinand
Ride The Wind ForeverFree

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ400SM1981;15508322
I also need a larger tank. Already have a Clark although I want something larger. Seems the [URL="http://shop.thumpertalk.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=845&Click=19871&#Acerbis"
Acerbis[/URL] is no longer being made. Are there any tanks available over 5 gallons?
The 650L and xr400 acerbis tanks are the same the only difference is the mounting parts. The 600 uses the stock tank brackets so all you need is your tank brackets. You may have to raise your bars(if haven't already) a bit to get a full turn with handguards.
Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #44
xr650rsmokedu
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hey whats up there Jason? A little birdy told me you've got some motor build pictures and a video to add to your thread... Lets see em!
xr650rsmokedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #45
xr650rsmokedu
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Too slow! click the first pic to see the video.

xr650rsmokedu is offline   Reply With Quote