User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
Rob in Maine OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Motostorm order experience

For anyone in NA that might be thinking of ordering from Motostorm in Italy this is a quick review of my experience....yours might vary :-)

My reason for ordering the Givi Trekker Outback panniers from Europe was to save a few bucks. I'm a cheap New England Yankee and although I love the look of the black Outbacks, I'm not crazy enough to pay $1,200+ sales tax or so for the bags and mounting accessories (Honda NC700x), which is what the local dealers quoted me...

I've ordered from Europe a couple of time before (Fc-Moto, Schuberth C3, Held Gloves) and had good experiences...I placed my order on April 13th for a full set of Givi Outback aluminum 37 liter bags in black and all the mounting hardware for the Honda, including a monokey M7 plate for top case if I ever decide to use one. Put everything on an American Express card just in case this all turned out to be some teenager in his mom's basement w/a $2.99 Go Daddy domain.

Within 24 hours I received an email from American Express that my card was charged $955 without actually being present. No problem.

The Givi web site wasn't too clear on exactly what parts were needed and after a couple of days, I realized I had ordered the incorrect mounts. I immediately sent Motostorm an email and asked them to check for compatibility and to change my order if necessary.

Within 24 hours I receive a reply and indeed I messed up on my original order. Motostorm made the change which resulted in an additional $89 charge due to the higher price of the correct mounting bracket.

Today (April 25) everything I had ordered arrived via FedEx. It was well packed, there were no missing parts ( and there were a LOT of them) and I am very satisfied. The Givi Outbacks mounted up with no problems and look OEM.

I'm was VERY satisfied with the whole process and will be using my savings for fuel, which on the NC700x means about 2,800 miles of riding!

Rob in Maine screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 08:24 PM
Rob in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
keeper1616
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I'll chime in with my experience. I recently ordered a pair of Alpinestars Toucan boots (they said they were in stock) because they were $200+ cheaper than from any retailer in the US that I could find.

I placed the order Sunday night, got a Fedex tracking number on Monday, and by Wednesday night I was wearing new boots. I know others have had complaints, but it was quick and easy for me!
keeper1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Motostorm Two Thumbs Up

Found this thread when researching Motostorm. Was leery of overseas shipping and passed on it awhile back, then I saw the post above re the same boots I wanted AND his city was only a few minutes from me. Took it as a good sign.

Excellent communication with Motostorm, fast, well-packed shipping.

Two thumbs up.

Stu
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
HerbTarlek
meh.

Oddometer: 60
I just want to add my .02 as a warning to others.
I've posted in another thread the initial experience but not the outcome.
Long story short....
I had ordered a set of Kappa bags around Septmber, 2014.
After reading in another thread about import duties imposed after ordering from Motostorm, and subsequently reversed by a fedEx appeal to customs under the wrong import classification, I contacted Motostorm, FedEx, and US Customs. I was told by all 3 there would not be any import taxes on motorcycle parts.
About a week or so after receiving my parts I received a bill for $102.00 for import taxes. Because the bags are plastic, they file them under code 4202.12.2020 which cover ALL plastic boxes and trunks, even tiny little makeup cases. I had filed the paperwork with FedEx to correct the listing with customs stating the bags should be under 8714.10.0050 motorcycle parts. For the life of me I can't figure out why motorcycle parts wouldn't be listed under motorcycle parts in the tariff code. ??? Anything plastic that can hold "personal" items falls under this 4202.12.2020 code.

I just received a big envelope with a bunch of paperwork boiling down to a denial from US Customs. Seems that in 2009, GIVI USA tried to get a ruling for their bags and Customs decided they should fall under this code. They included that in the ruling paperwork I was sent.
I'm assuming that if you ordered plastic cases from Motostorm and got past the tariff fee, you caught a customs agent on a good day.

I'm assuming any aluminum bags bought from them will NOT fall under the tariff code since it deals with plastic items.

For the record, FedEx trade services did try to get it reversed for me and explained it in the paperwork.
Not a huge deal but my very sweet deal became a so-so deal. Rulings are final and the only way to fight it would be to hire a lawyer and fight US Customs in some "World Court" bullshit. Yeah, like I'd have a snowballs chance in hell anyway.

Anyone have experience with ordering boots from them and get hit with the tariff fees?
HerbTarlek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,477
Sorry to hear your problems. I ordered my Givi trekker bags from them and did not get hit for any custom fees. Since then I have had two more orders and neither of them had any customs fees either. Luck of the draw I guess which unfortunately can happen with overseas purchases.

As for boots, the tarrif schedule shows that those could be classified as a tariff fee item I am pretty sure. But just like your bags, are open to the inspector's decision. Good luck.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
YSAWAE
n00b

Oddometer: 3
FedEx Fees

Just as an update to my experience. First off Motostorm was was great.. I cannot believe how fast my order arrived considering it came from Italy. I ordered it on a Monday and it was being delivered the following Monday.

Now to FedEx.. I did receive a bill for roughly $50 on a $1300 order. Seems the classified the Trekker Outback cases as 3926.90.9980 instead of the correct 8714. I lazily ignored the first bill and just got the 2nd notice the other day. I was working from home today so I decided to try calling their Customer Service number. They answered promptly and I explained the situation and the agent was trying to get me to some other department but after about 10 mins of being on hold he just came back and said he would take care of it. He was able to reclassify the items with the code I provided and my charges were reduced to zero. I asked if I would receive any kind of notice and he said unfortunately no but I could go online and print a new copy of the invoice for my records so I am in the process of doing that. In the mean time I took his name and put the time of the call and date on my invoice I have.

All in all even had I paid the $50 still a great deal from Motostorm and I will for sure order more from them.
YSAWAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
HerbTarlek
meh.

Yup. Since the outbacks are not plastic there should be no import charges. I still haven't paid my bill. ;-)
Old 05-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
diegosaenz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbTarlek View Post
Yup. Since the outbacks are not plastic there should be no import charges. I still haven't paid my bill. ;-)

Just as an update, you can't order if your currency is USD and language is set English, but if you change it to Italian and USD it works.
diegosaenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegosaenz View Post
Just as an update, you can't order if your currency is USD and language is set English, but if you change it to Italian and USD it works.
I've ordered from them 3 times and all while using eng and USD on their website.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
diegosaenz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
I've ordered from them 3 times and all while using eng and USD on their website.
Well I get the message "Sorry... you can't buy GIVI products from USA."

I'm not making it up just for fun times, other people are running into the same problem.
diegosaenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #11
HerbTarlek
meh.

FWIW I see it as well.
I see that Kappa has their version of the Outback bags now. ...except a bit cheaper. Same thing as the Givi except the price.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
czlivingston
n00b

Oddometer: 7
My .02 on motostorm.it

After doing extensive research on where I could find Alpinestars Tech 7 boots I stumbled across motostorm.it I was a little apprehensive at first but I did a little research on them and found they seemed to be reliable. I decided to take the plunge: I ordered a pair of Alpinestars Tech 7 boots on 4/29 for $278 with shipping (70 dollars cheaper than in the US!) I received a order confirmation instantly. The next day 4/30 (Thursday)I received a tracking number stating a shipping label had been created but it didnt move all weekend so I emailed them Sunday night making sure my boots were in stock and that there wasn't any issues. I received an email the following morning saying they aplogized for the delay and that it was a long weekend in Italy but my order should be shipped that day. About 2 hours later I received an email from FedEx that my order shipped. Anticipated arrival date: Monday 5/11. Now just anxiously waiting for my boots To get here! will update as tracking gets updated to give anyone else out there who's curious on shipping timelines from Motostorm.it (where it goes and when it gets there) as long as my boots arrive in one piece I will definitely order from them again.
czlivingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #13
czlivingston
n00b

Oddometer: 7
little more

Forgot to add when i ordered the boots said they would ship in 24 hours as opposed to 4/7 days like on some Thad I looked at like the Sidi Crossfire 2 srs
czlivingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,477
This is in the flea market because you are selling them as soon as they arrive?
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 562
Do believe they're new here. Probably didn't realize this is the wrong subsection.