User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Antigravity OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Antigravity Batteries, new design

I had posted a while back about my new battery company- Antigravity Batteries http://antigravitybatteries.com

Everything has been going very well, and thanks to those who purchased during the initial opening of the store.

Since that time I have been busy developing a new design of the battery. I am posting up to show an example of our latest batteries... We now offer the first terminal style lightweight battery with tool-less connections points. It is our design and first of its kind. It makes for the cleanest and most compact battery yet. It eliminates the hard-wired cables coming out of the battery and cleans up the overall design of these types of batteries, and allows for the most space saving possible. Additionally we are now offering the first "water-proof" lightweight battery for those of you that doing more extreme riding or have watercraft. The Marine/Adventure battery won't be in full production until the first weeks of December though we have some available... Visit the website for more photos and details...http://antigravitybatteries.com

I"m offering a 10% discount off the batteries for Adventure Forum members. The coupon code at check out is "adventure" .... The 10% turns out to be a better value than free shipping (in the U.S.) and I ship Priority Mail and it takes 2-3 days to get to you if your in the states.

Below is a picture of the Antigravity 4600 next to the stock Ducati Hypermotard battery which is typical of the 1000-1200 Ducatis batteries about a 7.5 pound weight reduction overall... it would take thousands of dollars in carbon fiber to get that weight reduction.

Picture of the Antigravity 2300 compared to Aprilia SXV 550 battery

A picture of the Marine adventure battery which will be available in early December.

Antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 4,043
Links on Home page are messed up. Need to remove "templates" from the URL's.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Antigravity OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
Links on Home page are messed up. Need to remove "templates" from the URL's.
Thanks for catching that...uploaded the wrong pages.

The smallest, lightest and most POWERFUL batteries
Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
How are the A123 batteries connected to one another? Are the simply soldered or are the actually flash welded?
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Antigravity OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips
How are the A123 batteries connected to one another? Are the simply soldered or are the actually flash welded?
This is a good question... people should be concerned about the quality of the battery pack build...

No soldering of the tabs... its not good for the battery. We Spot Weld (also called Pulse Weld) the battery tabs. But we also go further by adding more spot welds than the other companies. The reason is because motorcycle vibrate a lot and having only 4-6 spot welds doesn't do the job for a good solid bond. We use a minimum of 8 and 10-12 on the high stress areas like where the terminals are.

Additionally you will find other battery companies like Full Spectrum and Speed Cell use a plastic tray which has metal tabs inside it and they sandwich the battery cells between these two plastic parts... so the tabs are just touching the battery with pressure alone...There is no mechanical bond of the tabs to the actually battery. We disagree with this principal especially in electrical applications and motorsports where you need a solid bond that no corrosion or dust can get between. I'm not saying their battery is bad, but rather a build style we don't agree with. Their method allows for much faster production, but is bulkier and we feel batteries need a solid connection rather than just a tab pushing against the battery.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Sounds great!...I currently have a P310 Odyssey, although I'd like to bring some of that top heavy weight down, and maybe store some seldom used tools there...(2007 G650X for overlanding, daily commute, but sometimes sits unused for weeks...)

Which battery do you have that can provide the same juice under the same various conditions, and maintain the great reliability of the Odyssey (heated gear...etc...?

Oh, and Happy Turkey Day!

Nadim
Old 11-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
I've had a maviryk designs battery on my bike now for about a year (on my husky) and its been great.

http://www.mavirykdesign.com/

how do your batteries compare to his?
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,905
I'll add you to the discount sticky at the top of this forum.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
Antigravity OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
Sounds great!...I currently have a P310 Odyssey, although I'd like to bring some of that top heavy weight down, and maybe store some seldom used tools there...(2007 G650X for overlanding, daily commute, but sometimes sits unused for weeks...)

Which battery do you have that can provide the same juice under the same various conditions, and maintain the great reliability of the Odyssey (heated gear...etc...?

Oh, and Happy Turkey Day!

Nadim
The Antigravity 4600 (8-cell) is a fine battery for the 650x... It still is very small but has a lot of power. Please keep in mind that the Odyssey will have a longer Amp Hour rating... Amp Hours are the capacity of the battery to store energy. They come into play if you are stuck having to leave emergency lighting on or if you forget and leave your ignitions on... the Oddesey will hold the charge longer. So there is a trade off lightweight vs. Amp Hours... but realistically for what type of riding your do the Amp Hours won't come into play. Also you must remember that the "battery" does not power your heated gear... your alternator does. Your heated gear should only be wired to go on when the bike is running or the ignition is 'ON" this way you can't forget to turn off the switch and drain the battery... The battery only starts the bike... the alternator powers the accessories.. If you read the webpage entitled "Installation Guide" on my site you will get very detailed information about the battery...

Old 11-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Antigravity OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips
I've had a maviryk designs battery on my bike now for about a year (on my husky) and its been great.

http://www.mavirykdesign.com/

how do your batteries compare to his?

I don't wish to knock any battery maker...I'm sure your Mavrick battery is perfectly fine. .

Where I feel we have separated ourselves is in the the quality of the build the design, and attention to detail....

For example our build quality... many welds per tab, Polymide tape and a layer of silicone over the tabs (since Oct). Also our new "Terminal" Style design...Additionally our shrink wrap is significantly nicer than others....I've owned a couple of the other brands and the shrink was just not good with ridges and bumps and flaps with a sticker stuck slapped on. Our shrink is tight very clean fit and a full wrap decals on the 4 and 8 cell ( the new product pictures are not up on the website yet)...

But I like our design the best... We originally did just like Mavrick, Speed Cell and Full Spectrum with the Quick Disconnect terminals hard-wired with cables directly to the battery, but that method left much to be desired....Some people didn't want it with the Quick Disconnect since it was a lot of extra wire, it was a bulkier design since the cables went under the shrink wrap and were lumpy and didn't allow for easy fitting in a bike like the Ducati Streetfighter or some others that have a super tight battery tray..

So we knew from our own experience these were valid issues and went to work on a better design. We came up with doing terminals with Tool- less connection points...It took care of all the issues... It makes for a standard type hook up for the battery. It makes for quick connect and disconnect with out needing tools for the terminals. It makes for the most compact design since there are no extra cables coming out of the battery, and it make for a much cleaner, more compact design over all that shrink wraps extremely nicely since the battery doesn't have cables coming out of it.

But in addition to that our new terminal design allow for a Quick Disconnect Harness to be "bolted on" if someone wants that design...So its the best of both worlds... Your not "stuck" with one style design.

And last we are the first to make a Water-proof Marine/Adventure Lightweight Battery for use in Watercraft or for use in bikes that see hard core riding conditions such river crossings and so on. So we are actively trying to build new designs that can work for all areas of motorsports.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I proud of what we are doing and that we are actually pushing to make a better product.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Thx for the clarification!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
GabeRmrz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Wing-nut Terminals

I think your battery looks cool, but I'd be worried about the issue of vibration and wing-nut terminals. I'm in Utah, ride motorcycles, snowmobiles and waverunners and a lot of my boating friends won't use those for battery terminals anymore.

I'd be afraid of them possibly vibrating loose and also overtightening and possibly breaking the caps to make sure they don't. Also, how do you mount them on top the battery cells to make them strong?

West Marine even put out a notice about them here:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...tery-Terminals
GabeRmrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
legion
Pope's Nose

Oddometer: 12,907
Here's the part I don't understand:

As you can imagine based on the prevalent bike(s) on this site, most of them are overdone. Over capacity, over designed, over over over. That would make it seem to me that the most popular battery for an assembler of your type would be the largest one you make.

That said, pretty much all of you build your most attractive battery (from an electrical perspective) in a form factor that won't fit a motorcycle's battery box. 4" x 4" x 4.5"? That's too thick to slide into any of these boxes. You know that, right?

If so, there must be some really good reason for avoiding a solution to the obvious problem. What is it?

The battery one size down from your largest would work for the zillion 1200cc bikes on this site but it's not recommended for 1600cc bikes even under ideal conditions which means there's really no safety factor built into that battery (for this application) in that conditions may often be less than ideal... or cooler temps... or too many accessories, etc. Why don't any of you look at the general sizes of battery boxes on these bikes and build one to fit all or most of them?
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
Antigravity OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRABWALK
I think your battery looks cool, but I'd be worried about the issue of vibration and wing-nut terminals. I'm in Utah, ride motorcycles, snowmobiles and waverunners and a lot of my boating friends won't use those for battery terminals anymore.

I'd be afraid of them possibly vibrating loose and also overtightening and possibly breaking the caps to make sure they don't. Also, how do you mount them on top the battery cells to make them strong?

West Marine even put out a notice about them here:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...tery-Terminals
The West Marine article is referring to boats and outboard motors... as they state

----- we recommend replacing wing nuts with nylock nuts or hex nuts and lock washers that are tightened to at least 10 foot pounds of torque. ------

I think they are talking about clamp type terminal but I don't know... These plastic "Ts" can handle about 15 lbs of torque, it isn't some cheesy piece of plastic. We've tested it well enough for us to believe in it. We are quite satisfied with it's performance. The screw thread is 1/4"-20 and I have screws that anyone could use in place of the T-screw... but why? I would not torque the screw any harder than the "t-screw" We use the non T screws for when someone buys the optional Quick Disconnect harness and they fit under the Terminal covers... The T screw is great for convenience it works great.

As far as riding a lot and the vibration loosening the T-screw... I've tested it on the roadrace tracks, and dirt many times with no ill effects or loosening. But then again I do track days a lot and keep my bikes maintained. I have an Aprilia SXV 550, a Hypermotard, and a WR450 and have yet to have an issue. Plus all the other who have bought them...

Additionally if a rider was concerned that they are riding/racing and a bolt vibrating loose I would expect they would take precautionary action themselves... with maybe putting a lock nut under the wing nut, or zip tying the ears of the wing nut so they cannot come loose or using safety wire if they are careful to on do the ears only and not let the wire hit both terminals... I've yet to see a problem...

Old 11-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
Antigravity OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
Here's the part I don't understand:

As you can imagine based on the prevalent bike(s) on this site, most of them are overdone. Over capacity, over designed, over over over. That would make it seem to me that the most popular battery for an assembler of your type would be the largest one you make.

That said, pretty much all of you build your most attractive battery (from an electrical perspective) in a form factor that won't fit a motorcycle's battery box. 4" x 4" x 4.5"? That's too thick to slide into any of these boxes. You know that, right?

If so, there must be some really good reason for avoiding a solution to the obvious problem. What is it?

The battery one size down from your largest would work for the zillion 1200cc bikes on this site but it's not recommended for 1600cc bikes even under ideal conditions which means there's really no safety factor built into that battery (for this application) in that conditions may often be less than ideal... or cooler temps... or too many accessories, etc. Why don't any of you look at the general sizes of battery boxes on these bikes and build one to fit all or most of them?
I'm not understanding really...there are many different size battery trays, and I certainly don't know them all but the way we manufacture our 16 cell fits...see the pic below. I am actually the only lightweight maker where the terminals are not on the tab sides of the battery... meaning our batteries fit the narrow and tall profile of most the battery trays...but of course it is more compact.

The tightest battery box I"ve seen to date is the Ducati Street Fighter which has a box in its rear tail section is a very tight fit for the stock battery....
My largest the 16 cell fits into this area... see the example below... My battery is a little lower than the Duc battery, and about 1/2" less on each side and equally as wide as the Duc battery... and it can be placed in any orientation without harm... Also if I still made them like the other companies it would not fit in the tight battery trays... My terminals are actaully on the side of the battery cells which allow for my batteries to stand tall and thin like most motorcycle batteris. The other manufactures don't do this.

As far as making it fit all battery trays... this is extremely expensive... just the tooling for one plastic battery case to fit one of the battery sizes is about $8000 dollars. Also the size of the cells dictates the layout to retain the 12volts in a series/parallel layout.

The objective from my perspective is as a lightweight handling enhancing battery, not a direct replacement for a SLA (sealed lead acid) battery. There will be compromises... less Amp Hours, not a perfect fit for a certain battery tray.. But the benefits, for those who seek them, outweigh the negatives...huge weightloss for the dollar spent, definate handling improvement, very good power.

LEt me know if I understood you correctly, and what bike battery trays you are talking about...