Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
zero OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Lightweight hack designs?

Hello all..

I'm looking at fitting a sidecar to my MZ etz 250. I've always wanted one and the past few winters have been tricky for 4 wheels never mind 2. It'd be great for rallys as well, I do like a bit of luggage.

They were produced by volerex(?) for the etz, but as this is the uk and the car has to go on the left that makes them a little less common (incidentally if anyone has one +fittings they want rid of I'd be quite interested) but if I can find one I'll but one.

So while looking out for one with or without a sidecar body I'm after some ideas of how to build one from scratch. As the etz is only a small bike I'm aiming for something lightweight, now I know it'll want some ballast but that would be luggage and maybe a can of spare fuel e.t.c.. Also want to keep the ground clearance. Its not going to have a chair, just pure luggage carrying.

Another thing that would be good is to keep the same etz rear wheel. It just so happens there is an entire spare etz in the garage. So I was thinking of using the rear wheel, swingarm and suspension somehow and save some money buying parts.

I've got a decent mig welder and I know somebody who can aly weld, the fittings are probably going to be the most tricky bit but could get something machined. I'm guessing making the body itself first then working out the mounting would be the best way to go about it?

So does anyone have any good pictures or builds to checkout that might give ideas on how to put it together? some ideas for DIY mounting brackets or sources of cheapish ones elsewhere.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
halflive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
MZ build they're own sidecar, the Super Elastic a former Stoye model. A very clever sidecar, folding nose, Stabilizer bar. I would prefer this sidecar for an MZ
But i've never seen a left hand version.
A Velorex would be a good alternative in weight. Not such a clever design, not the three point attachement, but the next best thing.
halflive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
here you have a photo series of my hack built

it's a Turkish freight sidecar, the frame is based on the Velorex, as far as I deciphered.

Photos are not commented; I used this Smugmug-Album to load fotos into an Austrian Forum;

I think you can decipher most of them, otherwise feel free to ask.

http://asphaltmueller.smugmug.com/Mo...61699188_oiZWj

asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
The Superelastik is from Stoye, like already stated.

It has a complete different frame as other outfits. But pretty smart for that time, incl. a sway bar and a separate hydraulic drum brake.

The later MZ´s, in fact MuZ (500 4 stroke Rotax )had the Velorex 562 mounted not until the Country and Silverstar models came out.
MZ Silverstar Velorex 562:

The original ETZ 250 had two types of frames, one with and one without sidecarmounts. This will not help you, since you sidecar has to come on the other side.

The ETZ 250 is considered to be a better tug than the 251, because of its longer frame.

The early MZ 500 R has in fact the same frame as the (shorter) ETZ 251 - 301, except it had an additional front down tube behind the front wheel. I think you will need something like that too.

A good example for something like that (combined front down tube and subframe) can be seen in Andy´s (asphaltmueller) pictures, especially what is seen in the left upper corner:

As for the use of the rear swingarm and the wheel of the spare bike, remember its different than normal with its "built-in" sprocket on the rear wheel.

For the rest it’s basically like any other small outfit. I suggest you study Asphaltmueller’s pics. They are great.

Richard-NL
Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Just carrying luggage ( and not falling over in the snow ) made me go for this set-up.

MZ ETZ 251/300 with Super Elastic frame and homebuilt platform on which I will be bolting several "transportmodules".

The first "module" is this shoppingcart with a 20 liter jerrycan filled with pebbles:

Frame for platform:

One of the inspirationpics:

Used to run it like this for a couple of months but decided to bolt the SuperElastic to a heavier bike ( BMW R90/6 )

In Dirk Wildschrei's "Gelbes Schauberbuch" ( a kind of MZ-Mechanics Bible ;) ) there's mention of a 4th link between bike and sidecar to make it less "Elastic" ;) , and since I couldn't figure out what he meant ( there was no pic, just a small piece of text about it ) I started a topic on the German MZ Forum.

Here's my topic with questions about that 4th link on the German MZ-Forum ( but I'm writing in English because my written German is crap ):

http://mz-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=...702395#p702395

Some guys linked to Dreiradler.org, a German sidecarforum. Check there for more pics

http://forum.dreiradler.org/viewtopi...358&highlight=
1200 cc Z1000 dragbike (1976)
300 cc MZ transporthack (1989) winterhack
900 cc BMW R 90/6 hack ( 1976) summerhack
750 cc BMW K 75 RT ( 1993 ) daily driver

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter ( Mark Twain )

NitroMax screwed with this post 01-02-2011 at 12:59 AM
NitroMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
zero OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
asphaltmueller - Thats terrific, very nice work, any idea how much it weighs? how does it affect the performance?
+ Been looking for a good shot of the down tube mount for ages!!

NitroMax - Nice work! yes thats the sort of thing I'm hoping to do.

I was looking at the bike and found the same points it turns out manufacturers were using.. unfortunately the kickstart is going to cause a few problems!
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Oh crap, you're from the other side of the North sea, driving on the "wrong" side of the road, the sidecar wíll interfere with the kickstarter indeed
1200 cc Z1000 dragbike (1976)
300 cc MZ transporthack (1989) winterhack
900 cc BMW R 90/6 hack ( 1976) summerhack
750 cc BMW K 75 RT ( 1993 ) daily driver

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter ( Mark Twain )
NitroMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Thanks !

I don't have weight specs, but it would be appr. 40 kg, as I could carry the whole package myself without problem when it arrived.

The boat is a bit flimsy, though

Kickstart should work out, but the setup might have to be a bit broader.
Gonna check tonight.

actually that babe is running fine - I put a 19 sprocket in front, now she wheelies in first if you pull the gas a bit fast; that with 50 kg Ballast; according to speedometer 110 km/h on the highway
Old 12-31-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Had a bit of trouble changing the clutch yesterday - replacement plates to thick, so back today :

I think the starter clears :

Maybe you have to make the flat Iron angle, which connects to the swingarm axle a bit longer (and then weld a triangle to it to prevent movement)

that's a better photo of the rear mounting frame - I think it should clear the starter, if mirrored to the left side, otherwise, as said, you could make the flat iron piece longer.

edit : somehow smugmug doesn't want to rotate this photo; maybe you can download and rotate it; it's a better one of the frame clamp and the downward tube of the front mounting frame.
the lower end we welded to the footpeg-holder, because we didn't trust the crappy chinese bolts, and then welded the footpeg holder to the frame - an other guy suggested we could have changed the 6er bolts holding the footpeg holder to the frame with 8 bolts - should have worked; anyway- the 2 6er bolts are to weak for my taste

asphaltmueller screwed with this post 12-31-2010 at 10:46 PM