User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Puddleglum OP
Precious Snowflake

Oddometer: 390
Solidworks

A little over a year ago I purchased a seat of SolidWorks 2010 Premium in order to learn the software at home at my own pace. I also purchased maintenance for one year. For several different reasons 2010 (the year) turned out to be a less than stellar year for me and I pretty much ignored SolidWorks. Now, a little over a year later, I am still very much a beginner having spent next to no time with my new toy. I have all but decided to not pay the maintenance fee of $1995 at this point and instead to pay the fee plus a penalty of $500 at a later point. This means that I have just a few days left to upgrade my version of the software to a more current version. I am currently running SP2 and this leads me to my question.

Should I upgrade to 2010 SP5 or to 2011 SP2 ? My thoughts are that 2010 SP5 would be the most mature version of 2010 with the fewest glitches while 2011 SP2 might be slightly fancier with the potential of more glitches that would require software support that I will not have available to me.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
I would opt for SP5 personally. I use it everyday at the office and am only at SP3 and we do have the maint. package I just don't have the time to upgrade it, so unless its broke, I don't fix it....sorta. I upgrade to stay current so I can download vendor parts but other than that I usually don't bother unless my workload is very light and I have some time to kill.

I'm also self taught but on company time. I spent a week doing the built in tutorials and have picked up tips and tricks online and just plain bulling my way through creating parts.

The biggest gripe I have is that even when you do a "complete" installation SW doesn't "completely" install. If you have the "toolbox" add in you have to extract some of the parts from the SW directory to get them to work like weldment profiles and some other stuff.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 18,536
I don't know the first thing about solidworks, but as a software developer, the default position is to never put anything into production unless you've got at least the first service pack applied or you are desperate for a feature only offered in the just-released version. Too many companies use their customers as beta testers and the first fully-functional and high quality release of a product is often the SP1 release. If SW 2011 is already at SP2 and you aren't likely to have time to get into the software for a while, I wonder if going with 2011 isn't your better bet. Even if 2011 isn't in widespread use already, it seems likely that it will be by the time you are at non-beginner status. Also, when purchasing software upgrades on an expired license, it is often priced according to what version you are upgrading from, so upgrading from 2011 SP2 to whatever is current may well be cheaper than going from 2010 sp5.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
tucsondude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Sp5, assuming cheaper.

save yourself money.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Puddleglum OP
Precious Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondude View Post
Sp5, assuming cheaper.

save yourself money.
Neither option is going to cost me any money at this point. The next time I spend money will be when I decide to pay the maintenance fee. Until the end of the year I can upgrade to whatever service pack I please. After the 1st there will be a penalty of $100 per day and after 60 days the penalty will be $500 for not renewing in a timely manner. I'm not sure how these figures make any sense but this is what my reseller has told me.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,363
As with all of these 'maintenance' type of software packages, every freakin' one of them has old bugs that get fixed and new ones that get introduced with every service pack. My advice would be to download up to the latest service pack that you have covered under your maintenance contract, burn that to CDs and let it expire. That way you can upgrade to the latest and if you don't like it, go back to your original CDs.

I personally got off maintenance with SW 2006. I've used the current versions and except for a few new extended features (analysis modules), I think the Windoze Vista interface (modal menus and toolbars) absolutely suck ass in the newer versions. It was a huge step backward for what was otherwise a very intuitive product.

Your sales guy is trying to steer you wrong based on their own greed (or need to stay alive). If you aren't currently making money with it and needing to interface with other users in native SW format, there is no good reason to stay on maintenance. All of your models can be exported to other systems as .STEP or Parasolid 'dumb solids.'

I sat down on SW2009, with zero training and after fumbling my way through that suck-ass menu system, spent an entire day doing complex surface and solid models for a contoured, radar-gun-like plastic case. That was coming off SW 2006. The point? You can learn everything you need with the software you already have. Save your money.

BTW: have you gone through the Getting Started training (found in the Help menu)? Unlike most programs, the Solidworks getting started training actually takes you through a pretty good series of exercises and teaches you a very good cross section of the software, all the way from basic sketches and solid-modeling concepts, right up through assemblies and drawings. I think it's five modules. You should absolutely do those exercises before anything else and even if you're beyond that, it's a very good review (you'll find things you forgot or missed the first time through).
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Puddleglum OP
Precious Snowflake

Well ...

First of all, I'm typing this from my laptop because between my previous post and this one my desktop computer shit the bed big time. I utterly and completely suck at computers so I'll probably be buying a new desktop tomorrow, if I can't get my issues figured out VERY soon.

While the SolidWorks software itself ran okay for the year that I've had it I never could get all the nifty add-ons to work properly. I'm talking about all the parts libraries with bearings, bolts, profiles and so on as well as toolbox and all the things other than the core software. I was hoping to get all that sorted out before my maintenance ran out.

I have the 2011 DVD sitting right here and I know that SP2 is already out so I could upgrade to that. For my uses I could not upgrade at all and still be ok, there is sooo much to learn.

As it stands I have nothing at all with three days left in the year. After that I am completely on my own with any issues that i may have.

Sooo ... since the maintenance is $1995 and a new desktop that actually works is only $1100 I may go out and get that, install 2011 SP2, pester software support for two days to get myself sorted out, get my old desktop fixed and sell it and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
Puddleglum OP
Precious Snowflake

I'm sorry that I forgot to answer the question.

Yes, I have worked my way through most or all of the tutorials that are available. I have also worked my way through the SolidWorks Essentials book that is the official course material for the two week course offered by resellers. I got the book from a person that took the course and no longer needed the book. Additionally I have four of David and Marie Planchards books that I have only just begun to study.

I have also found Youtube to be a treasure trove of tutorials, some not so great, others really, really good. In fact, I am inadvertently learning Eyetalian by following along with some videos that a very talented Italian gentleman is posting.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
While the SolidWorks software itself ran okay for the year that I've had it I never could get all the nifty add-ons to work properly. I'm talking about all the parts libraries with bearings, bolts, profiles and so on as well as toolbox and all the things other than the core software.
Your VAR is key to this. If they haven't been helping you get the first version installed, I wouldn't upgrade, just hoping it's going to be different.

If you aren't good at computers and SW seems so hard to learn, why are you forcing it? Do you need this skill for a job market you're going after? A personal patent or design that you want to work on? Just because you like it? Nothing wrong with any of those avenues, just trying to figure out why you would spend so much on the software if it's not currently making you money.

Are you familiar with this forum?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/solidworks/

You might be able to get the help you need to get all the add-ons working. I got the impression that all of the libraries should be self-installing. Something doesn't sound right. Sign up there and see what you can find out.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
Puddleglum OP
Precious Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Your VAR is key to this. If they haven't been helping you get the first version installed, I wouldn't upgrade, just hoping it's going to be different.

If you aren't good at computers and SW seems so hard to learn, why are you forcing it? Do you need this skill for a job market you're going after? A personal patent or design that you want to work on? Just because you like it? Nothing wrong with any of those avenues, just trying to figure out why you would spend so much on the software if it's not currently making you money.

Are you familiar with this forum?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/solidworks/

You might be able to get the help you need to get all the add-ons working. I got the impression that all of the libraries should be self-installing. Something doesn't sound right. Sign up there and see what you can find out.

My VAR is indeed key to making this work. They have tried to help in the past but I have not been able to dedicate as much time to this SolidWorks project as I had initially hoped. Hopefully things will go a little more smoothly this coming year.

To say that I am not good with computers is an understatement but I can use software just fine. I don't find SolidWorks particularly difficult to learn, in fact I find it to be very intuitive. There is just a lot there since it is such capable software and I would like to go beyond simple 3d modelling.

As far as my reasons for wanting to learn the software you are on the right track other than going after patents. I want to learn the software to be able to create things virtually before spending financial and material resources to see if some ideas will work or not. From "thinking" through some initial ideas through coming up with actual designs through refining those designs and finally testing those designs I can do all that in SolidWorks.

I am aware of cnczone.com but had not realised that there was a SolidWorks forum. I will need to check that out.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
Puddleglum OP
Precious Snowflake

By the way, I really appreciate the help and advise you are giving me.

Thank you.

Here is a virtual machinist's cube I made for you as a token of my appreciation.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Here is a virtual machinist's cube I made for you as a token of my appreciation.
That's not exactly a simple modeling exercise. If you can do all of that in a detail part, you can't be struggling too much with it. What aren't you sure of? Complex surfaces? Major assemblies? More detailed use of the analysis packages (COSMOS, etc)?
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
Puddleglum OP
Precious Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
What aren't you sure of? Complex surfaces? Major assemblies? More detailed use of the analysis packages (COSMOS, etc)?
I am struggling with the software installation not with the software. The software is straightforward and intuitive but there IS a lot to learn. Everything you mentioned is a start. If I could, as an example, model my VFR I'd feel that I was on the right track. Or as another example take the Kirkham Cobra that was built for Larry Ellison and modeled in SolidWorks first. That's kind of where I would like to be.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:08 AM   #14
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

That's nothing but thousands of hours of modeling time. Motorcycles and cars begin life as foam and clay mock-ups, then get laser scanned into a CAD system. Once the surfaces are in there, the mechanical packaging begins. Surfaces are mathematically smoothed in the CAD system but, the basic shape is established already. Motorcycle frames are similarly worked out as both real-world, pre-production models that get productionized in the CAD system.

In the case of that Cobra, I'm sure it began with a good scan of the car's general exterior shape. Everything else is just brute-force hours of modeling.

This is pretty much the ground floor of where that begins:
http://www.faro.com/content.aspx?ct=...ent=pro&item=1
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
Puddleglum OP
Precious Snowflake

So, what do you think, 2010 SP5 or 2011 SP2?

I'm going to bed, I'll see what your suggestion was, tomorrow.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: