ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,367
Best bike shop around NOVA?

What do you guys say is the best bike shop around this area? That carry a good selection of motorcycles, good prices, good service?
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
GS Spirit
Downsizing

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
What do you guys say is the best bike shop around this area? That carry a good selection of motorcycles, good prices, good service?

Be a little more specific HD, KTM, MV Agusta, BMW, what are you looking for?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:28 AM   #3
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,134
MFI in Woodbridge. They are good people and have a good dirt selection. If your buying a bike, new or used, go see Woody. He can find you almost anything at a very good price. Some people have bad things to say about Bob's BMW, but they have alwase treated me very well.

Omi screwed with this post 01-07-2005 at 06:48 AM
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
Omi
0o0o0o

Did I mention that I don't like Colman's? Their customer service sucks. It has for years.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,115
Coleman's could not suck any more, unless they lit customers on fire as they entered the freakin' store. Period.

As for MFI, yup - good folks. See Butch in parts. He routinely beats prices I can find on the internet. Good folks.

Barry

ps - Coleman's SUCKS... FYI.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
MFI
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndSPACE
MFI
I never have reason to be down that way so I've never been in there. I'll keep 'em in mind.

I wish I could I recommend a place. Of all of the dealers I've had business with, most were merely adequate, and one or two (Coleman and Battley's, expecially the latter) were awful.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
I never have reason to be down that way so I've never been in there. I'll keep 'em in mind.

I wish I could I recommend a place. Of all of the dealers I've had business with, most were merely adequate, and one or two (Coleman and Battley's, expecially the latter) were awful.
The Honda dealer on 7 in Winchester is very good as well.
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,669
One more vote for MFI.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:20 AM   #10
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Best Shops in New England

Ducati/Hon/Suz/Kaw purchase - Nault's in Manchester NH (but you gotta see Jayroot)
Ducati performance services - BCM in Laconia NH (but Naults has a top tuner too)
Honda only - Concord Motorcycle Shop, NH (remember Bruce Transportation AMA Team? This is them. See Jason Hillsgrove)
Aprilia/Guzzi - Seacoast Sportcycle (top Apr performance builder in USA; see Aaron Clark)
Aprilia/Husky - New England Motorsports, Webster, MA (See Mark Reynolds)
BMW - Dunbar Eurosports, Brockton, MA (but ya gotta' deal with Kathy C). Prolly the best BMW tuner in Northeast is owner, Tom Fournier.
KTM - Cliff's in Norfolk, MA is widely considered the best KTM shop. All they carry and their customer base is mostly off-road racing crowd. See Frank
Supersingles - Bikeworx, Maynard MA (prolly the best big bore thumper motorbuilder in US. Does Raptors too).
Suspension/Chassis - GMD Computrack Boston and NY. See Peter Kates in MA or Mike Martire in NY (endo your bike? Don't write it off. Take it to GMD. They got the jigs and equipment to make like new. Good prices on Penske and Ohlins too. They even give tuner classes!).
Japanese brand motorbuilder - Pat Doyle @ New England Performance, Danville, NH. (specializes in multi's and twins)
Sportbike race conversion parts - Woodcraft, Mansfield MA (call Eric Wood)
Roadracing instruction - Penguin School (Loudon). See Jeff Wood.

Common thread to all these businesses is they are deeply involved in racing motorcycles at the highest levels in the Northeast with many championships among each of them. That translates into a passion for motorcycles and making them perform for the task at hand. Most are small, but laden with talent, experience and access to the latest advancements. Pricing is fair, and problem solving is amazing. Sort of like you'd find at your local 'Pro-Shop'. These are people to talk things over with before opening your checkbook.

Most of the motorcycle shops I've known in recent years simply roll iron and have no clue about their products or the needs of enthusiasts like those on this list. I have found these businesses to be the best in New England when you need the best to make it happen for you (whatever that might be).

-pantah
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:01 AM   #11
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
Did I mention that I don't like Colman's? Their customer service sucks. It has for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Coleman's could not suck any more, unless they lit customers on fire as they entered the freakin' store. Period.
-snip-
ps - Coleman's SUCKS... FYI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
Of all of the dealers I've had business with, most were merely adequate, and one or two (Coleman and Battley's, expecially the latter) were awful.
I'm interested if you have specific examples of poor service or policy to support these opinions?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:48 AM   #12
Omi
0o0o0o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
I'm interested if you have specific examples of poor service or policy to support these opinions?
Too many to list. I have been going to both locations for years, and have had a good experience only 2 or 3 times. That just doesen't cut it when I can get friendly service every time at MFI or Bob's. Sorry to bash your store if you work there.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #13
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,186
Quote:
For my experience with Battley Cycles you can read this. I hope you have some spare time. As for Coleman's, there's been a number of mostly minor instances, combined with the experiences of others I know and trust, that keep me from ever going back.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:32 AM   #14
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Sure...

Many accounts of Service done wrong, or poorly.

Many accounts of people with money in their pockets wanting to buy bikes, and being ignored. They left, went someplace else, and got the bike that day, or closed the deal that day.

I've grown up in this area, and Coleman's rep has been in the toilet for ever. That rep didn't make itself, it had help.

Barry

ps - I used to work for Coleman's many moons ago... it sucked then too.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:28 AM   #15
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Sure...

Many accounts of Service done wrong, or poorly.

Many accounts of people with money in their pockets wanting to buy bikes, and being ignored. They left, went someplace else, and got the bike that day, or closed the deal that day.

I've grown up in this area, and Coleman's rep has been in the toilet for ever. That rep didn't make itself, it had help.

Barry

ps - I used to work for Coleman's many moons ago... it sucked then too.

I'm one - was deeply in love with a Honda PC for spacewife - I walked out the door. Many stories ranging from stuff stolen while waiting for repair, poor service, screwed up sales dept yada yada. It even took them 6 months to get me a title for a trailer I bought from them that had the tires inflated to 45lbs

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote