ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2005, 11:39 AM   #16
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
Too many to list. I have been going to both locations for years, and have had a good experience only 2 or 3 times. That just doesen't cut it when I can get friendly service every time at MFI or Bob's. Sorry to bash your store if you work there.
Don't work there as of August. I was in sales there for 6 months. Sold at least one guy on this board a bike (and probably referred him here during the sale), but I don't think he knows who I am. Hiya, Steve.

I'm always curious what makes a bad experience at a dealership. Didn't have the accessory you were looking for? Service dept left your oil drain plug out? Charged a restocking fee for a special-order item? I went in to Coleman's for years and they never seemed to have quite the accessory (usually clothing) I had in mind. Frustrating. Never had a bad experience there as a customer. There was the one time in FC that the young service writer had to check and see if they could do a safety inspection on my Kawasaki (seemed a bit confused, since they no longer sold them). I'm chalking that one up in the funny category, not the bad category.

Wasn't a bad place to work, either. Everybody there is an enthusiast. (believe me - you don't work there for the money!) Most race. Street, dirt, ATV. Even a couple of watercraft racers. One guy rides a standup w/c in Pohick Bay year 'round. But I'll tell you this, I wouldn't let anyone but him work on a watercraft I owned.

I can see how some people might be put off that they don't automatically discount bikes the way some dealerships (read: MFI) do, but not every auto dealership follows the Fitzgerald Auto Mall business model, either.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #17
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
I'm interested if you have specific examples of poor service or policy to support these opinions?
I have many horror stories about Colemans. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. Several of my friends have had numberous problems with the scumbags at colemans also.
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #18
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
For my experience with Battley Cycles you can read this. I hope you have some spare time. As for Coleman's, there's been a number of mostly minor instances, combined with the experiences of others I know and trust, that keep me from ever going back.
Ah, the oil leak thread. How did that turn out, anyway. The thread just kind of dropped off with no updates, which makes sense considering....

Congrats on the lunker. Just about my youngest's first birthday! (missed by a couple of weeks.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:51 PM   #19
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Sure...

Many accounts of Service done wrong, or poorly.

Many accounts of people with money in their pockets wanting to buy bikes, and being ignored. They left, went someplace else, and got the bike that day, or closed the deal that day.

I've grown up in this area, and Coleman's rep has been in the toilet for ever. That rep didn't make itself, it had help.

Barry

ps - I used to work for Coleman's many moons ago... it sucked then too.
I seem to recall you mentioning before that you once worked at Coleman. Sounds like your experience wasn't so great. From my recent experience, it seems things may have changed.

I find it hard to believe that people were really ignored there. Selling bikes there was about putting food on the table for my family first, and getting people on bikes a close second. I couldn't have afforded to let a deal waiting to happen walk out the door. Seems like there may be more to the story. I've always had to turn away help when I was there looking at bikes.

I realize I'm jousting at windmills here, and I'm not likely to change anybody's mind. I just hate to see good people's names and livelihoods put through the wringer without someone standing up for them.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #20
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,221
Quote:
Ah, the oil leak thread. How did that turn out, anyway. The thread just kind of dropped off with no updates, which makes sense considering....

Congrats on the lunker. Just about my youngest's first birthday! (missed by a couple of weeks.
The bike's not leaking oil now (for now . . . ) but I'm still leaning on BMW over some final issues. I'll update the thread soon, when everything seems to be resolved.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #21
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
I seem to recall you mentioning before that you once worked at Coleman. Sounds like your experience wasn't so great. From my recent experience, it seems things may have changed.

I find it hard to believe that people were really ignored there. Selling bikes there was about putting food on the table for my family first, and getting people on bikes a close second. I couldn't have afforded to let a deal waiting to happen walk out the door. Seems like there may be more to the story. I've always had to turn away help when I was there looking at bikes.

I realize I'm jousting at windmills here, and I'm not likely to change anybody's mind. I just hate to see good people's names and livelihoods put through the wringer without someone standing up for them.
I know how shitty a job in sales can be. I did the car sales thing for a while. Hell, even when buissness is good the job still sucks. You have to deal with people that have no plans to ever buy from you day in and day out. All you want to do is make a living and people look at you like a crook for doing so. Ok, some of the guys are crooks, and they made the good guys look very bad. But, no matter how bad it got, I alwase took very good care of my customers. That is something Colman's had not done most of the time in the past, and recovering from that reputation is going to take hard work. I don't think they are up to the challange.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #22
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
I don't think they are up to the challange.
Does it matter? They seem to be doing a fairly brisk business.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #23
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
Does it matter? They seem to be doing a fairly brisk business.
Yeah, too bad. I guess people don't know of the quality small shops in the area.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #24
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,226
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that people were really ignored there.
OK - I make shit up. I say MFI is good for no reason, and Coleman's sucks for no reason.

YMMV,
Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #25
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
OK - I make shit up. I say MFI is good for no reason, and Coleman's sucks for no reason.

YMMV,
Barry
I'm not accusing you of making shit up. I just know that when I was doing it if I got the faintest inclination that someone had actual money to spend I would have done everything within my power to make sure they did. The other salespeople and the managers would have done the same. Sure beats the shit out of the 80% financing turn-down rate we had to deal with.

Perhaps there were other circumstances. Did they show up at 3:30 PM on Open House Saturday? Did they tell anyone they were interested in buying a bike that day? Did they have unrealistic expectations about how long the deal woult take? Lots of people would show up on Saturday and think they could pick a bike off the floor (or worse yet, a color we had in a crate buried in the warehouse) and they could be riding it home in 30 minutes. I would personally bend time and space to get my part of the deal done in that time period, but we still had to wait on financing, build, final service checkout, paperwork, their insurance co. to send proof of insurance, etc. etd. ad nauseum. Did you know it takes an hour to charge the battery, and most bikes are shipped with no acid in the battery? Even the little kids ATVs with e-start took over an hour to prep. Many got part of the way into the deal and walked when they though it was taking too long. Sad for them and for me. I can't tell you how many times somebody walked in at 6:30 on a weeknight and expect to ride home at 7. There are only so many times I can stay until 8:30 when we get word from the 4th bank that the user couldn't get financed.

I haven't said anything bad about MFI, either. I think they are a fine bunch of guys who provide good service. I have owned two Kawasakis and my Vulcan was serviced almost exclusively at MFI. No problems there. One day while I was working at Coleman, I needed a battery Coleman didn't have in stock. Rolled over to MFI. Woody hit me on the way in the door and asked if I needed any help. I said "Thanks, I just need a battery." When I got to the parts counter, before I could say anything, the kid asked what kind of battery I needed. Very attentive. Of course, the parts/accessories counter is only about 2 bike lengths from the door, but the kid was paying attention.

Caffeind screwed with this post 01-10-2005 at 03:21 PM
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #26
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Quote:
Selling bikes there was about putting food on the table for my family first, and getting people on bikes a close second.
And that is part of the problem with most of the "salesmen" you meet in bike and auto dealerships. As someone with over 20 years of professional sales experience, including more than 10 as a sales trainer- I can assure you that if your attitude- and that of Coleman's- were reversed, that things would take care of themselves quite nicely. In the end, closing a deal is more about pull than push~

The folks at Coleman's have absolutely no understanding of that.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #27
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,226
Quote:
I'm not accusing you of making shit up.
I know. That's my frustration in making you beeeleeeeeeve.

Mature riders, owned bikes before, have CASH or check, want to buy. As for service, heard a ton of horror stories there. One guy took his bike out of the dealer and the freaking wheel fell off. Hellooo...

YMMV,
Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:57 PM   #28
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
And that is part of the problem with most of the "salesmen" you meet in bike and auto dealerships. As someone with over 20 years of professional sales experience, including more than 10 as a sales trainer- I can assure you that if your attitude- and that of Coleman's- were reversed, that things would take care of themselves quite nicely. In the end, closing a deal is more about pull than push~

The folks at Coleman's have absolutely no understanding of that.
You've obviously had some success in sales. They teach a pull sales technique there. I suck at it. I mean absolute black-hole-level suckage. No aptitude at all. I freely admit this. That's why I'm not there any more. It got to the point where the sales part of the job wasn't even at all enjoyable. Unfortunately, talking about bikes with people ultimately doesn't sell bikes, and polishing the bikes and moving them around the dealership didn't feed my kids.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #29
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Congrats to you for recognizing that not everyone is cut out for sales... the profession gets maligned far too often. And the rub in all this is that anyone who IS cut out for sales and has an ounce of sense finds that they can do far better for themselves and their families if they aren't kicking tires all day. It's a catch 22 that we all should recognize- you're not gonna get a top notch sales experience at Colemans- or at a Best Buy. Once somebody figures out that they have talent, they're gone. It's hard to find any sales ability in retail- and for good reason. When's the last time you heard a probing question from a salesperson in a retail operation??? "Can I help you?" doesn't count!

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #30
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,402
Quote:

I find it hard to believe that people were really ignored there.
I remember going there to get my first, or was it a second bike. I had the money. I already had it planned out. I wanted an Aprilia Pegaso. I had just gotten off of work, so I was a bit messy. Doing construction all day, I really didnt seem like I belonged in a bike shop. And the salesmen made sure I didnt belong too.

Coleman will never get any of my money EVER. No matter how good it becomes from now on. I would love to see that place go bankrupt.

scorch is offline   Reply With Quote