ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2005, 06:14 PM   #31
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,542
Yes- and it's amazing that you just dissed a hell of a lot of the rest of us here by calling what you do "real work". I look forward to seeing where you will go when you have small pox and attempt to get help from someone doing something other than "real work". Two way street my friend- two way street. Believe me, I work my ass off- and I've done steel work in my past- so I know the meaning of those words by several different definitions.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #32
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
I remember going there to get my first, or was it a second bike. I had the money. I already had it planned out. I wanted an Aprilia Pegaso. I had just gotten off of work, so I was a bit messy. Doing construction all day, I really didnt seem like I belonged in a bike shop. And the salesmen made sure I didnt belong too.

Coleman will never get any of my money EVER. No matter how good it becomes from now on. I would love to see that place go bankrupt.

You were looking at a Pegaso? So that was, what, four, five years ago? You hold a grudge almost as long as I do. Did you make sure the sales manager knew how you were treated? I'm sure ownership has changed at least once, maybe twice since you experience. Move on.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:40 PM   #33
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
You were looking at a Pegaso? So that was, what, four, five years ago? You hold a grudge almost as long as I do. Did you make sure the sales manager knew how you were treated? I'm sure ownership has changed at least once, maybe twice since you experience. Move on.
No, I simply walked out and bought a bike from somewhere else. CyclesUSA to be exact.

I don't lose sleep over being mistreated, I just leave. Its no sweat off my sack.

And Squiggy, you are a anti dentite.

scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #34
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

BAh- bad day... working too hard! Fresh off a red eye from california, too. I wasn't wishing small pox on anybody- but any salesperson who treats somebody different because they've got mud on their boots is a pox on all of us who take the profession quite seriously. If you ever need an implant, I'm yer man! (BTW- shouldn't the smiley smiley be called "Jabba" just for the damned irony of it all?!!)

Old 01-11-2005, 03:21 AM   #35
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 6,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
I had just gotten off of work, so I was a bit messy. Doing construction all day, I really didnt seem like I belonged in a bike shop. And the salesmen made sure I didnt belong too.
I dress like a pig when I'm not at work. Squiggy, you know how I show up for dirt rides in baggy short, sandals, and a t-shirt? That is my attire 99% of the time when I'm not at work.

I dress like that to buy cars, furniture, etc. I ain't putting on clothes to prove myself to anyone.

More than one occassion I've had salespuke 1 blow me off after I asked a question, only to have salesprofessional 2 sell me a big ticket item. Oh well, maybe they'll learn.

One thing is for sure, I make good money, and there are a ton of guys walking around my neck of the woods with dirty boots that could buy and sell me 10 times over. Sales weenies need not forget that.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #36
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,718
A Job in M/C Sales...I Loved it!

People are dopes in every profession, and Sales seems to attract a bunch. But no doubt, sales people make it happen for everybody all the way down the line. The best at it seem to make all the money, so there must be something to it...

My very favorite time in my 56 years was being a salesman at Grand Prix Cycles while going to San Jose State. GPC was the forerunner of Fox Racing. Geoff Fox and Ian MacLachlan owned it. It was during the 'On Any Sunday' years, and we ran a little race catalog called 'Super Trick Stuff'. That part became Moto X Fox.

Everybody on staff raced MX on the weekends; the owners, the tuners, parts kids, and even their relatives. It was a very cool club, so I raced too. Our cash crop was Kawasaki triples, and we sold 'em like Chiclets (they often came back within a month on the back of a wrecker). But our passion was our line of CZ's, Maico's and Pentons. It was great for me cuz, I went to classes in the AM, then took the sales floor till 5'ish, and back to evening classes. Paid min wage plus commission, and I made more money at that then when I got a real job after graduation. But the money was a sidebar. The experience was special if you love motorcycles and the people who ride them. We all did.

But from time to time, I was a dope too: I remember we recieved the very first KX125 in California. It was supposed to be the 'Elsinore' killer. So's I get a call from a woman in Sacramento (3 hours away) who tells me she wants to come see it with her hot-shoe 14 year-old racer son. So's I scheduled a demo for a Sunday morning, when we were closed and nobody around. We had this big 'ole parking lot across a back street behind the shop that was for a defunct grocery store. When Mom and racer kid showed, I took 'em out to that lot. I fired the KX and ran up and down the lot a bit, doing wheelies and such. I had never ridden the KX before and that little motor was feelin' pretty sweet. Nice smooth rush of power, and seemed very controllable. Well there were these two big 'ole light standards in the lot that made for nice apexes to an imaginary short track. Not only that, but the pavement had a little silt on it, which made for an easy spin up. Pretty soon I was going around them light standards and backing it in feet up! Wow!!! I was feelin' like Mert Lawill!!!

For some unknown reason, I fired the KX out the exit onto the street, pitched it sideways, grabbed some power and proceeded to execute a MONSTER high side (no silt out there). I mean there were hard parts and plastic scattering a wide path. I jumped up and chased the tumbling KX down, picking up pieces as I went. So as I stood there with my clothes torn and bleeding from road rash, Mom and Son simply walked back to their Buick and drove off without a word.

I hope they have a warm spot for me in their memories. I was pretty damn good for 20 minutes! -pantah
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #37
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
Great story! Very Peter Egan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
People are dopes in every profession, and Sales seems to attract a bunch. But no doubt, sales people make it happen for everybody all the way down the line. The best at it seem to make all the money, so there must be something to it...

My very favorite time in my 56 years was being a salesman at Grand Prix Cycles while going to San Jose State....

... and proceeded to execute a MONSTER high side (no silt out there). I mean there were hard parts and plastic scattering a wide path. I jumped up and chased the tumbling KX down, picking up pieces as I went. So as I stood there with my clothes torn and bleeding from road rash, Mom and Son simply walked back to their Buick and drove off without a word.

I hope they have a warm spot for me in their memories. I was pretty damn good for 20 minutes! -pantah
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:24 AM   #38
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,718
M/C Sales...

Thanks guys - Am glad you enjoyed the story. Had many moments in the 2 years I was there. But perhaps my worst nightmare was when I'd see a Mom and Dad roll into the lot with newly licensed 16 year-old in tow. Kid always bee-lined it to a sparkling H2 equipped with expansion chambers. Parents had no clue. Kids usually didn't either, cuz generally we had to teach them how to operate the controls right there in the lot! After all the paperwork, kid would hop on in prep to ride off. At that point I usually went and hid in the john. Gives me the shivvers just thinking about it...

-Pantah
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:58 AM   #39
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
Thanks guys - Am glad you enjoyed the story. Had many moments in the 2 years I was there. But perhaps my worst nightmare was when I'd see a Mom and Dad roll into the lot with newly licensed 16 year-old in tow. Kid always bee-lined it to a sparkling H2 equipped with expansion chambers. Parents had no clue. Kids usually didn't either, cuz generally we had to teach them how to operate the controls right there in the lot! After all the paperwork, kid would hop on in prep to ride off. At that point I usually went and hid in the john. Gives me the shivvers just thinking about it...

-Pantah
I never watched a rider take a new bike off the lot. I always went straight inside and found another customer or took the long walk back to my desk.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #40
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Givi in NOVA?

Great stories (BTW, I have taken my bikes home in a truck, figured it would be easier for everyone involved), and a little class (perceived) warfare is always entertaining, but I have a simple question.

I am looking for hard cases for my DL650. Does anyone in Northern Virginia or the Shenandoah Valley have Givi (or similar) bags in stock? I have looked at a lot of web listings, but would like to be able to see them in person to judge the capacity vs bulk before I buy.

I went to the DC motorcycle show today, hoping that someone would have them on display, but didn't see anything. Any ideas?
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #41
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Yeah- Coleman's usually has em~ unfortunately!

Old 01-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #42
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Yeah- Coleman's usually has em~ unfortunately!
I asked about them in Falls Church and they said they could order them. Well I can do that. Have not checked Woodbridge lately.
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:47 AM   #43
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 34,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromski
Great stories (BTW, I have taken my bikes home in a truck, figured it would be easier for everyone involved), and a little class (perceived) warfare is always entertaining, but I have a simple question.

I am looking for hard cases for my DL650. Does anyone in Northern Virginia or the Shenandoah Valley have Givi (or similar) bags in stock? I have looked at a lot of web listings, but would like to be able to see them in person to judge the capacity vs bulk before I buy.

I went to the DC motorcycle show today, hoping that someone would have them on display, but didn't see anything. Any ideas?
Morton's generally has a good selection of Givi stuff in stock. Also Frank Cooper - Adventure Motorcycle Gear stocks some stuff (he's online, but local). Givi USA is in Charlotte, NC as well, turn around is very quick ordering stuff.

2ndspace had a place that we ordered some stuff from in NC that was cheap and fast as well. Yo Phil - you remember the name of that place

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:17 AM   #44
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Morton's generally has a good selection of Givi stuff in stock. Also Frank Cooper - Adventure Motorcycle Gear stocks some stuff (he's online, but local). Givi USA is in Charlotte, NC as well, turn around is very quick ordering stuff.

2ndspace had a place that we ordered some stuff from in NC that was cheap and fast as well. Yo Phil - you remember the name of that place
RL Motorcycles in GA.
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:02 AM   #45
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 34,968
Cool - 17% off until the end of Feb - Here ya go Stromski

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote