User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
monkeywaythere OP
Scooter explorer

Oddometer: 90
side car on a 50cc?

is it possible to fit a side car to a scooter (50cc) and also is it legal (here in england)
cheers stuart
Old 12-29-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
penth2o
1975 R75/6

Oddometer: 77
Sidecar on a 50cc

It is possible. These are from the 1964 Honda cub accessories catalog.
Legal? I don't know in England but if it was from the factory it was legal over here.
penth2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
I just saw a moped of some sort with a home made sidecar rolling down the road the other day. I didnt get a very good look at it. Looked like some tubing, plywood, and a bicyle wheel but he was doing it.
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
monkeywaythere OP
Scooter explorer

Oddometer: 90
the law?

right been looking on the net and know that fitting one is the easy part! the hard part is can i ride one i have a full UK car licance passed before the 2001 cut off i have cat B1 and a P on my licance so can i legally ride one on the uk? I have had a look on the gov site but as i am not the sharpest person in the world i dont realy understand it :(
Can any one help?
regards stuart
Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yep, it is definitely possible. I even had seen a video of an Elite 50 with a sidecar on youtube. I would give you a link to it, but I can not find it right now, but if I find it I will provide the link.

But the only issue is the 50 cc might be quite a bit underpowered for a side car. It will put a lot of stress on that little motor and it may not be great for it. But if you just do it once in a while, I don't see why not.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 417
I agree that you are asking a lot of a 50cc motor, to handle a sidecar. However, if it is not a (human) passenger need and you're just looking to handle a small load, maybe a bicycle cargo trailer would do the job? Don't know the legalities in the UK, so Good luck!
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
IMHO.. adding a sidecar to a 50cc is like dragging an anchor.

A 50cc scoot is already limited in its ability to reach 35-45 MPH but adding a third wheel and associated weight would remove its ability to be nimble and add nearly 50% more weight to the scoot. I can see adding a small trailer but not a side car.

Just my 2 cents/pence.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yea, it is especially hard since it is a CVT 50 cc. A regular 3 speed or 4 speed trail bike engine would have no problem pulling it of in 1 gear or second gear. My CRF 50 can pull 3 people around the yard in the wagon in low gears! But a scooter CVT is not made for those kinds of loads. You could slowly damage your engine.

If you had a Honda Trail 90 type motor with a 4 speed hi/low transmission it would be a different story if you could throw it in low. But not on a 50 cc scooter, you will probably eat at your clutch. But if you just plan on using a small light sidecar and throwing a few groceries in once in a while, no problem. But if you plan on putting people in heavy stuff, consider a Ural.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Question

Maybe something like this:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592072

Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
A lot of weight, off to the side puts a great deal of stress on a frame. 50cc scooters are typically weight and price-point challenged, not likely to be overbuilt. I'd go with something a little more old-school. A Stella would do nicely, serious steel on those puppies & a bit more juice as well.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Dibber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Try www.scooterworks.com and www.kellyskustomtrike.com. They both have sidecars for scooters. Kellys Kustom also has trike kits for scooter and both sidecars and trikes for 50cc scooters. Good luck.
Dibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,465
try total rukus forum theres a thread about it. http://www.scooter-sidecars.com has alot of them . Here one homemade for a helix. He used a old 80cc endro bike rear bike frame. you ll find out more at yahoo group but you ll have to have yahoo account to view the picutures.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hondah...tart=1&dir=asc
basic set up of a sidecar :
http://bikerodnkustom4.homestead.com...ry_watson.html

a bike sidecar diy page: ( I do mean bike )) http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/veh...decarbuild.htm

Whoops just found the rukus sidecar build thread. http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewto...p?f=15&t=35745

lots of ideas here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...cycle-Sidecar/
vespa side car shows frame http://www.chaneysworld.co.uk/vespacosaandsidecar.htm

Thats about it for info. You could try a craglist search engine to find a small sidecar. Anyway that s most of the info except all the pictures I ve got on my hardrive of small side cars. Don't want to up load them.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138

Do I see a seat on the 'outrigger' of the car?
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
Ken11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I am sure it could easily be done, but I agree with others. A 50 cc engine just doesn't have the torque and power if you plan on putting a person in it. It also could street on the frame a tad, but I wouldn't worry about it if you design it well.

Also the brakes on a 50 cc scoot may be a bit worrisome if you plan on much street riding, unless they are good disk brakes. But yes, a CVT transmission would not do as well as a geared 50 cc for this purpose, but I would think it could handle it.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,465
yep the guy never took the orginal seat off it. Just cut the frame of xs80 in half. Then weld it up to a simple frame.