User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Sumbike OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Basecamp Berlin, NV - 2015

March 21 - 25 was the second annual camp out and motorcycle adventure basing out of the most excellent campground at the Berlin Ichthyosaur Nevada State Park. Avjoe, Bsum and I set up camp and did three days of riding from there.

Day one we headed east from the park out Union Canyon, a very fun road, over to the Reese River Valley. Our goal for the day was to cross over the Toiyabe Range to the east using Big Creek Rd. We didn't make it last year due to snow. Thinking the drought in the west means less snow, we hoped to be able to get all the way across the range.

No sale! Ran into snow and ice about the 8,900 foot level just as the switchbacks shown faintly to the upper right started up what I believe is the last pitch. Quite a bit farther than we got last year. Some good water crossings on the road up.

Plan B was to go north to the Birch Creek area and follow the #4 mountain bike trail up to Austin. This is the top of the pass looking east down on prior mining activity. The road switchbacks down into the valley to the left.

Great roads, down into the valley, lunch stop in a meadow in the bottom of the valley, ultimately coming out on to Highway 50 at the top of the pass east of Austin, NV. Down into Austin for the traditional Mexi Coke.

Checked out what looks to have been a pretty nice house, may be even what is left of a town in the Reese River Valley.

Back to Union Canyon and west to Berlin and the campground ended Day One - 143 miles.

Day Two, went north past Ione on to Forest Service roads continuing north looking for a west to east route across the Shoshone Range of mountains. We turned east along Willow Creek then War Eagle Canyon. Climbed steeply to the top of the ridge with stellar views!

We continued over the ridge down to Gold Park for a lunch stop at the White Swan Mine site.

The forest service map and GPS did not show the road from Gold Park continuing, but a road had been recently bull dozed in so we followed down through a narrow canyon and back out to the west.

Yep, it went through and dropped us out to the west. We did not make the loop over to the east side of the range as it appeared there may have been snow blocking the route. Saved for another time. Back toward Berlin on the forest roads we came out on.

Day Three was just a short ride as Bsum had to head back. Just a quick loop south from Berlin to Grantsville and over the pass. Checking out a side road here. Much steeper than the pic shows!

Back up to Union Canyon Rd.

And back to the park.

Great riding, hope to return in the near future!
Sumbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Thanks for posting, was going to go there this week with my wife but some stuff came up....
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Sumbike OP
Adventurer

In the afternoon of our last day AVjoe and I hiked from the Itchy fossil shed to the Richmond Mine within the park. A pretty good grunt hiking up and over the hill, but, great views and an interesting mine area. This well preserved ore bin is apparently the last of its kind in Nevada.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
Where was that large brick house? I have been all over that area and never seen it.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
Sumbike OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Where was that large brick house? I have been all over that area and never seen it.
It is on the west side of the main road through the middle of Reese River Valley north of Elkhorn Rd. It may be shown as Hess Ranch, don't remember exactly. Hard to miss, several other old crumbling adobe looking buildings and an older metal sided building.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
Bsum
n00b

Oddometer: 5

Sumbike

Avjoe doing a map check

Sumbike in the distance

Bsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
Weekend Warrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Great pictures. i live in Reno and have driven right by the turnoff when heading to Eureka. Gives me a good idea for a detout and some overnight camping. The roads look like they could be good for a tiger or KTM adventure bike too.

Amazing what is out there right in your back yard.

Thanks for posting
Old 03-31-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
YAY Nevada, Thanks for posting.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,863
Alright!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
what were the temps? looks chilly..
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #11
Sumbike OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdog View Post
what were the temps? looks chilly..
Days 1 and 2 weren't bad in the middle of the day, maybe low 60's high 50's. First thing in the morning it was pretty cool, probably 40's the heated grips felt really good! Day 3 mid morning it was mid 30's, scattered snow flakes over the Grantsville Pass. As you go up in elevation, topped out at 8,900 it was pretty cool, but, over all perfect riding weather.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #12
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,611