User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2015, 03:13 AM   #1
darren70 OP
KTM, Ready To Spend

Oddometer: 338
Jindy to Vic High Country

I have been keen for a ride down south for a while now so on Wednesday I headed off for Jindy. On the trip down a severe weather warning came over the radio for the Alps and nor east Gippsland and as I was up high looking south before Cooma I could see sky above the cloud covering the Alps and there were about 20 thunderheads climbing into the sky. I reached my destination as grosses plain and I went to bed thinking about tomorrow’s steep muddy hills and flooded river crossings

An early start the next morning had me off down the Barry with the obligatory photo stops then it was up the ingeegoodbee track and into the clouds for a stop at the helipad to imagine what the view would be like.

Then it was down to the first of many river crossings and while it was up it was passable. Continuing on through the cloud past McFarlane flat then back down to the next crossing and they were both fine then the long climb up to the Cobberas mad just a little bit more interesting with about 20m visibility.

Coming out at Native dog then it was along Native cat through the mist and another mist view opportunity then out onto Nunniong where at 11 am there was still piles of pea hail from the night before. Apparently the whole area got smashed with about 2” of rain and it showed. I then peeled off across Lake hill through the bogs and fog then down Sawpit to Mt Nugong fire tower. Then down a very slippery Telegraph where there were still insulators in the trees then onto little river, telegraph again then little river to Ensay

Lunch at Swifts creek then and up Brookfield, Baldhead, Mt Delusion then a great blast along Groves gap road, passing an old hand cut sluice drain then up the dinner plain track to my nights accommodation.

When I got to dinner plain village it was like a post-apocalyptic goast town but after a bit of a search I found a bloke mowing out the front of the pub and I asked him what the go is. Turns out while the motel was open there was no food or bar open so I headed to Hotham where things were worse. The rooms were $200 a night, the meals started at $35 and I had to leave my bike out on the road so I said stuff that, bought a can of baked beans and headed back to dinner plain. I found Dave again and he couldn’t be more helpful, sorting me with a room, some steak to cook and even something to drink. Turns out he was a dirtbiker himself and he really went out of his way to get me sorted. So it you’re in the area, head up to the pub up the street to the left and ask for Dave.
I went to bed thinking about tomorrow’s steep muddy hills and flooded river crossings.

I ride a KTM, i'm not a KTM rider...

My 690 Build

darren70 screwed with this post 02-17-2015 at 03:43 AM
darren70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:17 AM   #2
darren70 OP
KTM, Ready To Spend

Early morning and I’m off final with blue skies and a view and it was down Dargo road and up to Blue Rag. The have done a lot of work on the trail and the two hills are covered in skulls making it an easy 3rd gear blast but the views from the top are still great. A special place.

From there it was down North basalt, basalt and south basalt with the latter being made worse with the recent realignment work. I crossed the crocked river a few times and mad my way up to the start of Billy goats. The recent maintenance work up there means the ruts and steps are gone but the surface is loose and rocky making for fun time if you get off line. I walked out the pinnacles and had a spell enjoying all that was before me.

It was down a very wet Castle hill then, junction spur and across Trails then up to Dargo for and early day and the pub then motel. It was back to the pub for a top Parma then as the thunder echoed and the rain fell I went to bed thinking about tomorrow’s steep muddy hills and flooded river crossings.

My 690 Build
Old 02-17-2015, 03:19 AM   #3
darren70 OP
KTM, Ready To Spend

Day three started with big plans as I headed up upper Dargo road through the fog and light rain. After following the river for a while I crossed it on a nice and rarely used trail called Stock route which took me up to Birregum and then on to Mt Birrengum for a view over the valley that was my next destination.

The rain was only light as I headed down Dane into the valley to Camms top place for a look at the old house. The house is worse for wear but there is still traces of the original wall coverings and you can still see the adze marks in the hand squared beams. Apparently it was a potato farm a long way from everywhere but looking around I think it would be a nice place for me to live.

From there it was up the other side of Dane with a stop on the helipad in-between the rain. There wasn’t a hint of a breeze and all the low cloud was hanging around and it was very peaceful, but not for long as I was up the hill, along wild horse then down to find Wentworth falls. It was a slippery trail in as it had started raining again then a steep slippery climb through the scrub and leaches to the creek but I couldn’t find the falls. I rode back up the hill and headed down another trail to a tree across the track then gave up as the rain was getting heavy. As I headed along it really started pissing down so I took shelter in an old hut hoping it would pass but it just got heavier so after peeling off the last few leaches I headed up short cut and across to Mcdonalds

The rain was flogging by now and just riding on the forest roads was a battle so my hopes of exploring spur trails was shot and I sheltered in a hut at turntable camp as by now I was soaked to the bone, made worse by the fact i only wore nylons so after I sorted some stuff at work on the phone I headed off then down Sugarloaf Deptford rd to Deptford.

The rain had eased a little so I decided to check out some of the relics so I followed a little slippery creek track to look for an old boiler but all I got was wet and dumped the bike so I looked around and back across the river and up to Engineers road, pipe dump and to Bruthen for a late lunch.

Bruthen had some type of festival on and it was full of hippies and freaks and while I was eating my pie I am sure some bloke tried to pick me up, I was standing next to my KTM at the time so I guess he just assumed..
Back up the alpine way to the barber pole then a great blast across Stuart creek, Moonlight and Kenny to the Buchan road. It was up Lyall, George then a little shortcut with a few logs to cross to mountain then to Mt Nowa Nowa fire tower. A zig zag across 3 mile, Mottle and painted line had me back on the tar and cruising in the rain to Orbost and my motel. As I was pretty wet I dried my gear with the heater and had the air con up full on cool plus a few minutes in the microwave had the socks dry. I walked up to the Orbost club for a parma then home to bed.
I went to bed thinking about tomorrow’s steep muddy hills and flooded river crossings.

My 690 Build
Old 02-17-2015, 03:21 AM   #4
darren70 OP
KTM, Ready To Spend

Glentipity had 35mm the night before and very big storms for the few nights previous so I new I was in for an interesting day. I headed north from Orbost up through the fog along Yalmy and Pinark , climbing through the forest of regrowth after big fires and once at the top I turned into the Deddick trail.

The sign said ‘falling rocks, do not stop’
It was wrong…

With all the rain the Deddick was always going to be interesting and once I was at the bottom of the first big hill I hit the first major obstacle, a flowing Rodger River. Despite it being a bit deep and flowing it was no real drama and it was onward along a mixture of black and red clay that was a slippery as a room full of politicians and it meant constantly looking for texture be it leaf mulch or any gravel.

From My Joan its down the steps and although it was very wet it was no real issue but once at the bottom I had to cross mountain creek that while up, didn’t look to bad so I plunged in only to have the water come up to the seat. With its last gulp of air I gassed it and made it up a gravel bank in the middle made it across the other side. After the big climb up the hill I hit clouds near Mt Glentipity and it was finally a relief to run down the rocky descent to the snowy as I could finally start pushing a bit hard.

The mandatory photos were taken of Mckillops bridge then the long run up to the tar at Glentipity. Its amazing how wide the rode is on a car compared to a bike. Riding up the Barry I caught to up to a couple of advriders on a tour and I stopped and said G’Day. They had been tripping around the same time as me and the seemed to have had a great time too.

Finally a run up the Barry to Grosses plain, a shower, my car then the 8hr drive home.
Despite the weather a great ride, a tad under 1000k with well less than 100 on the tar and according to my gps total ascent 25770m and total descent 24337m. Seems allot but who knows.
Sorry if the report was a bit long but I tried to detail the trails to help those who follow
Thanks for looking

My 690 Build
Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 AM   #5
TJE
Space Emperor

Oddometer: 71
Beautiful place! A that's a damn nice looking bike!! Cheers!

My gallery: http://www.subsignal.com/DEMO
TJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:15 AM   #6
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 173
Thanks for posting up, Darren.

Envious of your ride, but I'll order better weather when I go

Cheers
Brian
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:34 AM   #7
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 808
Great ride.

Thanks for the track details.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #8
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Nice report.
Ride Safe, Richard 14 F700GS IBA #59670, MOA #114372 ( My Wyoming has an East infection )
K7TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,473
Old 02-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,436
Now THAT'S a Ride Report!! Sensational,some familiar,some not
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,159
Nice work! Thanks for taking the time to post!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:51 PM   #12
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 253
All that, and still time to stop for some great photos. Good stuff. Posting details of the tracks taken is great.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:25 AM   #13
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,744
Great RR

Thanks Darren , great vicarious ride for me , gotta do Deddick sometime soon .
Old 02-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Wow - fantastic ride by the look of it

Great that you've got the nerve to get out there and do this stuff on your own
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
darren70 OP
KTM, Ready To Spend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Wow - fantastic ride by the look of it

Great that you've got the nerve to get out there and do this stuff on your own
I'm not alone, there are plenty of voices in my head to keep me company.

My 690 Build