User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
obrianmcc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Obrianmcc-Rides-2015

After being on a short hiatus from my 2014 Ride Thread .....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=idaho

.... and Spring starting to tempt us with the temptation of warm sun and moisture rich dirt .... it must be time to kick off Obrianmcc-Rides-2015 !

This ride thread will be my medium to share my 2015 adventures with you all. I hope that my adventures will spark you to get out and create some of your own!

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
obrianmcc OP
Studly Adventurer

Swan Falls - Wilson Creek

So back in February I receive a message from my friend Jason ..... "Weather is looking good, time to ride" .... my response was simple "I'm in"

Jason being the master planner of all things GPS whipped up a quick route option taking us by Swan Falls, across the river into the Owyhees, through Wilson Creek before looping back over the Snake River.

We both agreed on a meeting point on the canyon rim above Swan Falls. Jason, coming from East Boise will work his way through the maze of roads off South Pleasant Valley Road. I will be arriving from Meridian, and have chosen to trailer to our meeting point.

The air is clean, crisp, and still as the sun starts it's warming effect .... I reach point zero first and begin my unload and final prep.

Moments pass and I can hear off in the calm distance that ever so familiar tone of a 4 stroke running full open ... then Jason's dust trail becomes visible well before I can see Jason himself.

Jason rolls up minutes later .....

We reconnect as we haven't ridden together since prior to the Fall. Jason wrapped up his season by leading his brothers through an awesome four day SW Idaho Loop of high alpine peaks ....

http://www.trailimage.com/brother-ride-2014

Bikes warmed up ... were off!

We stop at the first overlook with Swan Falls Dam below .... our plan is to make an exploratory run down the east side of the river ... we'd then loop back up to the dam where we would dismount and push our bikes to the other side.

Swan Falls is operated by Idaho Power, who has been making significant improvements to the area by means of area restoration, river access, and camp spots.

https://www.idahopower.com/ourenviro...ls/default.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_Falls_Dam

"Swan Falls Dam is on the Snake River about 40 miles south of Boise. Built in 1901 to provide electricity to nearby mines, it is the oldest hydroelectric generating site on the Snake River. Idaho Power built a new power plant in the mid-1990s. The old plant is decommissioned and is now a historical display"

To be continued .....

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
Old 04-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
obrianmcc OP
Studly Adventurer

Swan Falls - Wilson Creek Continued

Jason and I work our way down the road along the east side ... we both know that the road dead ends at a trail head, but all the times that I have visited Swan Falls I have never actually been to the end of the road. We ride down to the TH that spans roughly from Swan Falls to Celebration Park and then reverse back up stream to the dam.

The dam has an open catwalk that connects the east side to the west ... we arrive, shut down the bikes and begin our push across the river. The push across is quite easy with an enduro class bike... a larger Adv class bike would pose a challenge as there are some tight 90 deg corners to negotiate.

Once across the dam we work our way along a tumble weed filled access trail that connects about a 100yds up stream of the dam to a road that drops down from the ridge just north of Sinker Butte.

We dislodge the collected tumbleweeds from our bikes, mount up, and ride north along the west side.

The road starts as a primitive two track, to single track, and then again back to two track ... we pass on old homestead and cross a few fences before we arrive at what seems like an ordinary boulder field, a by-product of the old Bonneville Flood some 14000 years in the past.

Jason had his sights set on this particular field as it contains some truly amazing history in the medium of ancient petroglyphs. I myself have heard that these rock drawings existed along sections of the snake, but have never actually seen them myself.

We wander around from boulder to boulder trying to decipher the intent and/or meaning of particular drawings .... did they have some deeper meaning? .... or was it simply a bored native American trying to pass time during their winter stay?

We head down the trail with the intent to follow the track away from the river and up onto the upper plain.

***Note - We found out post ride that the section of trail through Wees Bar is actually closed to motorized vehicles. Evidently there are signs posted by the BLM, but further investigation found those signs to be either laying on the ground or actually placed off the track out of our view. Some sign adjustment by the BLM might be prudent ... I can understand their desire to close off this section to help preserve petroglyphs. The road in is motor accessible, as is the road out from atop the plain. There is about a mile or so that requires visitors to walk.

OBR ADV Gear
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear