Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #136
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,345
Almost every house had one or more tarps on the roof.

I suspect the only reason these telephone poles are standing is that they have been replaced.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #137
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

This would be a scene from a really great spring day........except for the blue tarps on the roof and the low hanging wires.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #138
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think this flag symbolizes this, and other communities hit by tornadoes, tattered but hanging in there.

If you look closely through the trees, there is a foundation with nothing left on it.

klaviator screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 02:34 PM
Old 05-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #139
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It may seem like I'm posting a lot of pictures, but this is only a fraction of what I took and I only captured a fraction of the damage caused by one tornado out of an estimated 305 tornadoes that were part of this storm system.

The utility crews in the area did a great job but I'm sure they were all dead tired form the enormous task they faced.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #140
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Last, this picture symbolizes something else about how the people have reacted to this disaster. Despite shortages of gas, food and other essential items, I have not seen or heard of any price gouging on those things. A co-worker stopped to get some bags of ice on her way back from Tennessee. The store owner wouldn't let her pay for them.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #141
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Thanks for the updates Win. Happy to see you out and about, and glad you are safe!
Dave, I appreciate your response, as well as the others that have responded. This ride today reminded me of something that you have so eloquently brought out in you ride reports: That is to appreciate what we have and enjoy every day while we can. We can never be sure which day will be our last. For some of the residents in the comunity in the above pics, last wednesday was their last day.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #142
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
Wow!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #143
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Dave, I appreciate your response, as well as the others that have responded. This ride today reminded me of something that you have so eloquently brought out in you ride reports: That is to appreciate what we have and enjoy every day while we can. We can never be sure which day will be our last. For some of the residents in the comunity in the above pics, last wednesday was their last day.
I just wanted to add this to my last post. It's a song that I think fits in with what I just posted. I hope you enjoy it, but more importantly, listen to the words. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhDY7fZDUZ0

klaviator screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 04:10 PM
Old 05-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #144
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Wow!!
Exactly. But keep in mind that my pictures do not really show what it was like. I had seen lots of footage on TV and on the internet. I still wasn't prepared for the emotion of seeing it in person.

klaviator screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 04:47 AM
Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #145
13lky2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
My folks still live in Huntsville, well actually Harvest where you rode through. Fortunately they only lost their mailbox and a tree went through the back fence my dad had just repaired. My cousin, whom also lives in Harvest lost her house, she and her baby were home when it hit. Fortunately they are both ok. I was out of town when it hit, I was seriously alarmed when I got to the hotel lobby and saw Tuscaloosa and then, to my horror, Birmingham! I tried to call and text my wife, nothing.... I rang a friend from work who lives around the corner and got no one there either. A tense 30 minutes later, he texts me back that everything is ok in our community. I was just about to jump in the car and drive 6hrs to find out what was going on. The wife calls a while later and said cell service and text was scarce but that she and the kids were ok. I have a friend at work who told me that parts of Arab still have no power...
13lky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #146
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,934
Thumb

Nice thread klaviator!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #147
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's been quite a while since I updated this thread. I've been doing a lot of riding but it was mostly in the mountains of N. GA, NC, and TN so I did separate ride reports for each of those trips.

This past week end I did some full throttle touring starting and finishing in Huntsville. I wanted to go to Southhaven, Ms (just south of Memphis) where my wife was visiting her parents. I have made this trip several times before but always driving a cage. It's 200 miles taking the most direct route. I figured if I changed the route some to make it more interesting it would make for a nice ride on my scooter.

I knew that Northwestern Alabama and Mississippi would never be able to compete with the mountain riding I really love to do but it would still be better than sitting in a cage and I'm always up to go explore new roads and see some new sights.

Since the forecast was for hot and humid, I decided to get an early start to beat the worst of the heat.

This was the scene less than 2 miles from my apartment, just before turning left and heading West.

The fog burned off quickly. I jumped on I-565 and headed west toward Decatur. This is crossing the Tennessee river just before Decatur.

Then it was Alt 72 to Florence and 72 after that.

It's been well over a month since the deadly tornadoes but it's impossible to drive far in Alabama without seeing the damage that was done. Not much left of these houses except the foundations.

The storm took out many of the trees in the area.

klaviator screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 02:50 PM
Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #148
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

One of the roads that has been on my list of roads to ride is the Natchez Trace Parkway. I didn't have time to ride all 444 miles but I did include about 35 miles in my route.

If you're wondering what happened to my Super 8, I still have it. Less than 2 months ago, after selling my old R1100GS and Dr250, I picked up this new 09 Aprilia Sport City 250 for a really great price. As much as I love my Super 8, it doesn't go fast enough, even at full throttle, to be practical on a trip like this. I know that some people go cross country on 50cc scooters but I like to be able to keep up with traffic.

The Natchez Trace Parkway was nice, but doesn't compare to the BRP, at least the section I rode doesn't.

Last time I was in Mississippi on 2 wheels was 1994 on another bike to small to go touring on; a Kawasaki EX500.

The curves are very gentle, the Speed limit 50 MPH, and it is not elevated like the BRP so the scenic overlooks are quite different. Here is a view of an old indian mound.

And a peaceful river.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 09:54 AM
Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #149
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The next leg of my ride was taking Ms route 4 from the parkway to Holly Springs. Just off the parkway I stopped at a Army Corps of Engineers/Tombigbee waterway visitor center. It was a good place to take a break, eat a Pb&J and check out the sights.

There is a pretty good size lake here with a beach and some marinas & boat ramps.

And also a lock for boats moving along the waterway.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #150
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Route 4 turned out to be the best part of the ride, I liked it better than the Natchez Trace Parkway. It's not that it was a great road but it was a pleasant ride.
It even had some of my favorite signs

Despite the sign, this road will never be mistaken for Deal's Gap. The curves were pretty mild.

The landscape was rolling hills and farmland.

There was even this small lake and waterfall.

I wouldn't go ride MS 4 just to go ride it but as a way to get somewhere, it's a good road.

After that I got on 78 and about 25 miles of 70 MPH interstate. Then some back roads to my destination. Total trip was 242 miles. Because of my early start it didn't get hot until the last hour of the trip.