User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #256
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
More pictures please.
Florida really is a crappy place to ride, but like he says the mountains are only 12 hours away.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #257
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
More pictures please.
Florida really is a crappy place to ride, but like he says the mountains are only 12 hours away.
I never finished posting all the pics from my trip to Deals Gap in April so I'll do that now. All of the following pics were taken within 25 miles or so of Deals Gap, many within 10 miles. Thousands of riders go to Deals Gap every year but only a very small fraction explore the local roads except for 129, 28 and the FHP.

This is the only pic of this series taken at Deals Gap:

This is where you go if you need tires or service while at the Gap.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 05:58 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #258
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Scooters R U

Klaviator, Still taking great trips and putting up good pictures. I envy your willingness to ride fairly long distances to get into the best riding.

I have looked at picking up a scooter to try out. Mostly I've looked at Burgman 400 and 650's. But you seem to have a great time on the smaller scooters.

Thanks for sharing your rides.

Liberia

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #259
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia View Post
Klaviator, Still taking great trips and putting up good pictures. I envy your willingness to ride fairly long distances to get into the best riding.

I have looked at picking up a scooter to try out. Mostly I've looked at Burgman 400 and 650's. But you seem to have a great time on the smaller scooters.

Thanks for sharing your rides.

Liberia
I used to have to ride much longer distances to get to the best riding. I started going to the Smoky Mountains when I lived in Florida. I continued to ride there when I moved to Mi, then MD, and then ME. Right now I live pretty close to the best riding east of the Rockies.

If you are considering a scooter, don't rule out the smaller ones. Nothing against the Maxi scooters, a lot of people really like them, but I personally prefer the smaller scooters. They are just more fun to ride. If you haven't tried one, you don't know what you are missing. If you are ever in my area, let me know, I'll let you take one of my scooters for a spin.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #260
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Moving to the Rocket City Full Time

I will be moving to the Rocket City full time soon. I am buying a house here and will be selling my house in Marietta. Since I will be here full time, maybe I will have the chance to meet some of the inmates in the area.

My Super 8 now has over 10,500 miles on it and it runs better now than when it was new. I've been riding it almost every day but mainly short trips commuting around town. Spring weather finally arrived to the Rocket City and I enjoyed going for a ride yesterday just for fun without being all bundled up. Here's a few pics:

I found some "adventure" riding just a few miles from my apartment. It's not the BAM road but it's a lot closer

Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #261
Mr&MrsErnbo
Taggin' Machines

Oddometer: 1,315
Nicely done, your pics are awesome. Love the area up there, all of the roads are fun and exciting with lots to see. Can't wait to get up there again and enjoy the thrills.

Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #262
125uCrazy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I can only state as others,Great Photos and scenery.

Thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading the RR's

Scooter Touring is so underated but the best in my book
125uCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #263
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
This is such a great thread! I sat down and read all of it at one time. I have got to explore NE Alabama, and start looking into buying a scooter !
2002 Sporster 883 (traded for Zed)
1984 Honda V45 Sabre (sold and missed)
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #264
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
Nicely done, your pics are awesome. Love the area up there, all of the roads are fun and exciting with lots to see. Can't wait to get up there again and enjoy the thrills.
We are lucky to live in an area with a lot of great riding. Having lived places where the nearest good roads were hours away, I certainly appreciate it. Thanks for following along and let me know the next time you are going to be in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125uCrazy View Post
I can only state as others,Great Photos and scenery.

Thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading the RR's

Scooter Touring is so underated but the best in my book
Thanks for following along. I agree that scooter touring is underated by many, but it is gaining popularity. If you look at the ADV front page picture rotation, there are two scooter pics in the rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc16 View Post
This is such a great thread! I sat down and read all of it at one time. I have got to explore NE Alabama, and start looking into buying a scooter !
Thanks for the response. A small scooter would make a nice addition to your current stable

I got my first scooter for commuting around town. I thought it would be more fun than driving the cage and far more economical. Although I don't think riding my scooters is more fun than my motorcycles, they are much more practical and I ride my scooters far more often than my motorcycles. I rode a little over 15,000 miles last year. Around 2,500 on my motorcycles and over 12,500 on my 2 scooters. I ride one of my scooters almost every day.

Hopefully once I have completed my move I will be able to spend more time exploring Alabama. I know there are a lot of roads I haven't ridden yet, many sights I haven't seen and many fellow riders I haven't met.

One last thing. Many scooter riders on this forum complain that motorcycle riders don't respect them and don't wave back at them. I have not experienced that in Alabama and almost everyone returns my waves regardless of what they are riding.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #265
Mr&MrsErnbo
Taggin' Machines

Oddometer: 1,315
I'm sure this is dumb but,...have you ridden around the Little River Gorge any?

Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #266
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
I'm sure this is dumb but,...have you ridden around the Little River Gorge any?
I've been there a couple of times. Go back to post #110 and also #186 of this report. The second time was on my ride from Huntsville to Ellijay for the ADV dinner where we met.

Remember this?

It's a nice area and I plan on going back when I have the chance.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #267
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm now living in Huntsville with an occasional trip back to GA to check on my house which is up for sale.

I have been riding around Huntsville a lot but haven't gotten around to updating this thread so here goes:

Went to the Decatur Balloon festival last month.

Saw some neat balloons:

And discovered that the local police have the ultimate cop-cycles:

Yesterday I rode over to Decatur to check out the 2 motorcycle shops there. At All Sports, a Yamaha, Triumph, Sym, and Buddy dealer I ran into a guy on a Vespa 250 who told me about a local area scooter club. They are on facebook under "Scoot Happens". Scooters are a small minority around here so it's good to see some activity.

Tonight is going to be a "Super" full moon. The moon will be at it's closest point to the earth this year. Last night was pretty close to the same and the forecast was good so I thought I'd go for a night ride and try to get some pics. The wife and I rode over to Cecil Ashburn Drive to check out the sunset over huntsville.

Not exactly spectacular but better than sitting around in front of the TV watching re-runs.

So we headed over the mountain to see if we could find the full moon.

There it is in the background.

It wasn't dark enough for a good pic.

We checked out the entrance to Hampton Cove.

Here it's darker but the moon is out shined by four UFO's

Then we headed back up the mountain to get some shots without a bunch of "UFO's" messing up the shot.

A professional photographer I'm not. I have seen good shots taken of the moon but this is not one of them.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #268
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post

Went to the Decatur Balloon festival last month.

Saw some neat balloons:

Part of my commute to the Decatur area is on Highway 31. I was very close to a balloon coming across the highway and headed for the swamps around this time one morning. It was an awesome sight.

I am north of H'ville and would take you up on the scooter ride thing if you are willing to stoop as low as riding a '95 GS. i also have an older brother in Marietta but he only rides boring Harleys at the moment. :)
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #269
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
At the outskirts of Corinth I stopped at the Motorcycle dealer which happened to be open on Monday.

Corinth would make a nice midpoint for a loop that would run back through Waynesboro, TN. Mike's Cycle Shop is in Waynesboro and he has a similar collection, but not as cleaned up. He is a Ural and Royal Enfield dealer.

There is also a well known BMW restorer and dealer in Sturgis, MS I want to ride to some day. He is farther south than Corinth.
http://benchmarkworks.com/

All three of these locations would put you near Natchez Trace Parkway. This is a beautiful but not twisty ride from Nashville to Natchez, MS.

Natchez, MS would put you near Angola, LA. Angola has a prison with a very interesting museum at the front gate and from there...
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #270
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
Part of my commute to the Decatur area is on Highway 31. I was very close to a balloon coming across the highway and headed for the swamps around this time one morning. It was an awesome sight.

I am north of H'ville and would take you up on the scooter ride thing if you are willing to stoop as low as riding a '95 GS. i also have an older brother in Marietta but he only rides boring Harleys at the moment. :)
I had a 95 GS. Great bike! I put 87,000 miles on it before Bambi put it out of commission.

I'll be going for a ride next weekend with a group from bamarides. This will be my first ride with them but the ride will end with eating some good BBQ so it should be a good time. If you're interested check out this link: http://bamarides.com/ride/planned-ri...style-6292013/

klaviator screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 08:59 PM