User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #286
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Nice report
I rode with some of that group for the morning street ride portion of the "Free state of Winston" / Brushy Creek campout ride. Like your BBQ ride it was a very diverse group, but very well organized. The leader and sweep rider, both communicated with headsets. There were no problems whatsoever, though the rider of an M109R did have an accident on his way home to Birmingham. If I weren't so addicted to my Saturday a.m. golf game I would have joined the mystery BBQ run. I tend to ride alone or in small groups, but as you stated it does give one a chance to meet some other riders and new roads.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #287
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
Nice report
I rode with some of that group for the morning street ride portion of the "Free state of Winston" / Brushy Creek campout ride. Like your BBQ ride it was a very diverse group, but very well organized. The leader and sweep rider, both communicated with headsets. There were no problems whatsoever, though the rider of an M109R did have an accident on his way home to Birmingham. If I weren't so addicted to my Saturday a.m. golf game I would have joined the mystery BBQ run. I tend to ride alone or in small groups, but as you stated it does give one a chance to meet some other riders and new roads.
Passing up a ride to play golf???

You have a warped sense of priorities

I, on the other hand, will pass up no opportunity to go for a ride. One of my other interests is hiking. I usually go to the Rainbow Mountain trails for a good hike/workout but decided to head over to the east side of Huntsville for a longer hike. It was a nice chance for a ride of over 20 miles each way. The nice thing about my scooters is I can wear my riding gear, lock it in the tail trunk/under the seat and go hiking in shorts and T shirt. the trail I hiked start at the parking area at the top of Cecil Ashburn drive. It runs along the mountain ridgeline and has some nice views.

Looking east:

and west:

After my hike, I took a short ride over to the Hampton Cove subdivision. Since some of the readers here may not be familiar with the great state of Alabama, I thought I would get a pic of a typical house found in a typical subdivision here in the Huntsville area:

Yeah, I know you're probably thinking it's a little small but it does have a three car garage and a nice view.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #288
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tuesday night was Bike Night at the local Cycle Gear so I decided to check it out. On the way over my Super 8 turned over 12,000 miles. It's still running strong. It getting 70-75 MPG despite being run with the throttle being wide open or close to it most of the time. The only issue I have had is that the fuel gauge failed recently.

There was a good turnout for bike night although none of my pics really showed how large the crowd was.

The CMA was there serving burgers and dogs

These three bikes all had ADV stickers.

There was a good mix of bikes with all types and all the major brands represented. Even some of the lesser brands were there such as triumph, Aprilia and Moto guzzi.

My Super 8 was the only Kymco as well as the only scooter. I guess that makes it really exotic

I don't understand why people weren't all checking out my "exotic" scooter and checking out this 52 Vincent instead

I had a good time talking to people. The guy who led the ride I went on Saturday was there and I talked to him a bit. We talked about Bamarides and how it was much more active around Birmingham than up here. I mentioned that it seemed that a lot new people seemed to be joining the forum all the time. He said many people joined but only a few stuck around and participated. I found his next statement very interesting. He said to this affect: "We're different. Many people like to polish their bikes and spend a lot of time looking at their bikes and talking. We like to ride."

Based on the ride on Saturday, I'd say he's probably correct.

klaviator screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 04:12 PM
Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #289
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
I'm glad to see you are out and about again and about time frankly. I'm in Asheville for a week with the dog wife and car and all its done is rain every day. Can't even see the mountains.

On another sore point I'm glad you are discriminating enough to relegate Guzzis and Triumphs to the "lesser brands" corner of the paddock. Yet you didnt bother to mention the holy grail Vincent was a mere singe cylinder Comet. Well, I guess this means you get to flog yourself and post more pictures very soon.

Ps are Vespas lesser or much lesser or just unknown?

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #290
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
I'm glad to see you are out and about again and about time frankly. I'm in Asheville for a week with the dog wife and car and all its done is rain every day. Can't even see the mountains.

On another sore point I'm glad you are discriminating enough to relegate Guzzis and Triumphs to the "lesser brands" corner of the paddock. Yet you didnt bother to mention the holy grail Vincent was a mere singe cylinder Comet. Well, I guess this means you get to flog yourself and post more pictures very soon.

Ps are Vespas lesser or much lesser or just unknown?
I consider the Major brands in the USA to be the four Japanese brands, Harley and BMW. This is purely from a numerical perspective. It has nothing to do with quality or desirability. You won't see very many Moto Guzzi's around here. I'm not sure there is even a Guzzi dealer in Alabama. I know there is not an Aprilia Dealer. As for Vespa, there is a Vespa dealer in town but he has trouble selling them and may just give up trying. I do see an occasional Vespa around though. There is a Triumph dealer in Decatur, just across the river from Huntsville but I rarely see one around here.

As for the Vincent, I know next to nothing about old motorcycles. All I know is that it was old and it's impressive seeing a bike that old still being ridden.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #291
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 273
Vincent Motorcycle

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #292
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Klaviator

I see that you caught me in a few of the pics for the mystery BBQ ride. If you remember, We talked at the gas station in Gurley and I had the WR250R.

I have rented a couple scooters in the past (50cc) and agree that they are fun. I have been a little curious lately about them and their practicality. That was until that ride and reading some of your ride reports. Now I think I want one. I think that I want similar things in a scooter as you did. Enough power to hit interstate speeds, small size, and good gas mileage. I like the Aprilia that you got but don't know about their availability near Huntsville. I think that the SYM Citycom 300i is at the top of my list right now. I have heard about the supplier issues of the past and I think that they are doing better now. I also heard that they are quite reliable scoots. I guess what I really need is funds to buy something right now too.

You sure do a lot of riding. I really need to do more.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #293
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Klaviator

I see that you caught me in a few of the pics for the mystery BBQ ride. If you remember, We talked at the gas station in Gurley and I had the WR250R.

I have rented a couple scooters in the past (50cc) and agree that they are fun. I have been a little curious lately about them and their practicality. That was until that ride and reading some of your ride reports. Now I think I want one. I think that I want similar things in a scooter as you did. Enough power to hit interstate speeds, small size, and good gas mileage. I like the Aprilia that you got but don't know about their availability near Huntsville. I think that the SYM Citycom 300i is at the top of my list right now. I have heard about the supplier issues of the past and I think that they are doing better now. I also heard that they are quite reliable scoots. I guess what I really need is funds to buy something right now too.

You sure do a lot of riding. I really need to do more.
It was good riding with you and talking to you. If you are interested in a scooter I recommend looking at the Kymco DT300 or GT300i. Midway cycles in Madison has leftovers from last year in stock and is selling them at a big discount. Both are faster than my Sport City but are reported to get around 70 MPG.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #294
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
It was good riding with you and talking to you. If you are interested in a scooter I recommend looking at the Kymco DT300 or GT300i. Midway cycles in Madison has leftovers from last year in stock and is selling them at a big discount. Both are faster than my Sport City but are reported to get around 70 MPG.
I had looked at them before and went to look at them again today while I was out. I don't think that the DT300 is for me. I really don't want the maxi scooter type. I like the GT300i pretty well. The only problem that I see with it is it has very little under seat storage. I guess that is why they include the trunk as a stock part. I really like the engine though.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #295
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I had looked at them before and went to look at them again today while I was out. I don't think that the DT300 is for me. I really don't want the maxi scooter type. I like the GT300i pretty well. The only problem that I see with it is it has very little under seat storage. I guess that is why they include the trunk as a stock part. I really like the engine though.
I've read some great reviews on the GT300i. The under seat storage would probably hold tools & tire repair kit and not much else. Don't underestimate how much stuff you could carry on the floorboards. If you are really interested, they would probably prep it and let you ride it. They have let me ride a few different scooters there.

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676653

Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #296
Mr&MrsErnbo
Taggin' Machines

Oddometer: 1,312
Golf???

I agree with you on the golf vs. driving my motorcycle thought. Anyone mentioning the "G" word on the ADV forum .... nuff said.

Have you gotten to hike any of the trails in the Cohutta Wilderness? There are some epic hikes to be had there.

Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #297
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
I agree with you on the golf vs. driving my motorcycle thought. Anyone mentioning the "G" word on the ADV forum .... nuff said.

Have you gotten to hike any of the trails in the Cohutta Wilderness? There are some epic hikes to be had there.
Yeah, the G word belongs in Jo Mamma

I haven't hiked in the Cohutta Wilderness. I have however, hiked the entire Width of the AT

My son loves Cloudland Canyon so hiking there with him is on my list.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #298
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
. I'm not sure there is even a Guzzi dealer in Alabama.
BMW dealer in Birmingham carries Moto Guzzi. My wife and I stopped in there on the way back from Pensacola July 4th week and I have the shirt to prove it! Nice dealership and nice people. They had a well rounded group of used bikes at decent prices. Tis is where I fell in love with the Honda CBR 250.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #299
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Tuesday night was Bike Night at the local Cycle Gear so I decided to check it out.
I keep learning about these great gatherings from your thread. Every Tuesday night?
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #300
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
BMW dealer in Birmingham carries Moto Guzzi. My wife and I stopped in there on the way back from Pensacola July 4th week and I have the shirt to prove it! Nice dealership and nice people. They had a well rounded group of used bikes at decent prices. Tis is where I fell in love with the Honda CBR 250.
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
I keep learning about these great gatherings from your thread. Every Tuesday night?
No, they only do bike night at cycle gear once in a while, I'm not sure how often. Check out http://bamarides.com/ for info on local events. BTW, I believe you have an R1100GS. I still have an aeroflow windshield from my old GS. You can have it if you want it.