Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #316
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 621
Awesome

Youre livin the dream
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #317
apollomission19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Nice to see more people here with Transalp. I have the 2001 Transalp XL650V.

Anyway, good report to follow.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #318
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
Awesome

Youre livin the dream
Livin the dream??? well maybe for the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollomission19 View Post
Nice to see more people here with Transalp. I have the 2001 Transalp XL650V.

Anyway, good report to follow.
Transalp??? I think you have mistaken me for someone else.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #319
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had breakfast at the Deals Gap resort then decided to pack up my camping gear. As usual I had no plan other than I wanted to get back home sometime that day. I decided to just hang out there at Deals Gap for a while. I had no doubt that someone or something interesting would show up. There is a thread on ADV dedicated to Killboy Fail pics. People post pics of stuff at Deals Gap, and the all the "experts" make comments. Interesting thread. I especially like when people who have never been here comment on what a terrible and dangerous place this is. Yes, this place has been over hyped with all the "dragon" crap and it has been over run by tourists, many of whom don't have the skills to safely ride this road. Still, it is a very interesting place. I have rarely come here and not met someone interesting.

There is one other thing about this place that makes it a great place to be. It is a great escape from the reality of everyday existence. This place is all about bikes, riding, great scenery, curves and more curves, and for some people cars or other transportation devices. While I was here I did not think about work, paying bills, mowing the lawn or other boring stuff. Most of the people here are fellow riders or at least car enthusiasts.

So I hung out, talked to a few people and watched as people came and went.

A large group of Harleys showed up. Actually most of the bikes in the parking lot where Harleys. My Aprilia looked kind of out of place here.

the Harley group was quite interesting. They all had Pa or Wi tags, wore the required pirate outfits,..........................and spoke Chinese
It was a large group from China complete with chase vehicle and American Guide. They had the biker look but acted like typical tourists taking pics of everything. I'm sure the will go back to China and spread the word of the infamous "Dragon" and how they slew it

Speaking of the the Dragon hype, I think most of it has been spread by Killboy. He has a shop across the street from the Deals Gap resort so I wandered over.

Got dragons?

While I was there someone pulled up on this:

It's the new Honda MSX 125 Grom. This thing is tiny but it looks like it would be a blast to ride on some of the local roads. It reminds me a little of the tiny Supermotos that were racing the night before but this thing would be more comfortable for and adult and it's street legal.

After hanging out a little longer I headed down towards the overlook.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #320
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I made it about a mile down the road when I saw two guys on dual sport bikes that I had talked to at a pullout with the Harley mounted state trooper. I hope they were able to avoid a big "performance award". A little later I saw another police bike, this time with a Sheriff Deputy on it. I also saw a state trooper or deputy in a cage. I managed to make it to the overlook without being pulled over.

So I hung out there for a while. A couple of guys on Harleys pulled up. Pirate outfits of course. The typical Harley image was shattered when on started to talk. No, not Chinese, Australian. These guys had shipped their bikes form Australia to LA, ridden across the country and where headed up to Milwaukee before returning to LA to ship their bikes home.

There was a young guy there driving a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. Probably not my first choice for a car but he was a local who enjoyed driving the twisties in the area. He told me about doing night runs through Deals Gap and how quickly he would wear out his tires. So I asked how much tires were for his car. He said the stock tires were over $200 a piece but the sticky ones he ran were $450 each And I thought bike tires were expensive.

While sitting there this pulled up:

It was a 52 Caddy. I'm not sure this would be the ideal thing to drive on this road but it did look cool. I was amazed at how small the inside was compared to the huge exterior.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #321
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 849
Great ride report! We moto-camped when we were younger. Well, it was the only way we could afford to travel back then.

About 10 years ago, we had a nice motorcoach that had to go to the factory for service. While it was gone (several weeks), my wife suggested we "try motorcycle camping again." I had a Harley Ultra with a Bushtec trailer; she had a Heritage Softail. We loaded up the trailer with camping gear... I was almost looking forward to the camping. She bought an air-bed just for this trip. When I sat down on the bed, it launched her off! When we were done laughing, we tried it again... no one got launched, but it squeeked and creaked. And when I turned over, she still got air! The only thing that might have been worse would have been sleeping on rocks.

I admit it, I am too old for that crap. Not crazy about motels, either (had a couple decades of that with my work... and I know, no matter how nice the place is, they haven't cleaned those bedspreads in months (if ever)!

Solution: RV... motorhome, 5th wheel, toyhauler... something made for comfort... with a Select Comfort mattress. Haul the bikes to a great place and then ride the heck out of 'em. I'm over coast to coast biking, but we are sure not done traveling.

Options. Yes, I know there are plenty of folks out there who enjoy moto-camping. We are not... umm... in that camp.

Thanks again for the ride reports - nice!

Captain Jim
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #322
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Great ride report! We moto-camped when we were younger. Well, it was the only way we could afford to travel back then.

About 10 years ago, we had a nice motorcoach that had to go to the factory for service. While it was gone (several weeks), my wife suggested we "try motorcycle camping again." I had a Harley Ultra with a Bushtec trailer; she had a Heritage Softail. We loaded up the trailer with camping gear... I was almost looking forward to the camping. She bought an air-bed just for this trip. When I sat down on the bed, it launched her off! When we were done laughing, we tried it again... no one got launched, but it squeeked and creaked. And when I turned over, she still got air! The only thing that might have been worse would have been sleeping on rocks.

I admit it, I am too old for that crap. Not crazy about motels, either (had a couple decades of that with my work... and I know, no matter how nice the place is, they haven't cleaned those bedspreads in months (if ever)!

Solution: RV... motorhome, 5th wheel, toyhauler... something made for comfort... with a Select Comfort mattress. Haul the bikes to a great place and then ride the heck out of 'em. I'm over coast to coast biking, but we are sure not done traveling.

Options. Yes, I know there are plenty of folks out there who enjoy moto-camping. We are not... umm... in that camp.

Thanks again for the ride reports - nice!

Captain Jim
Getting an RV and touring the country with it is one of my dreams. A small RV with a Scooter on the back for exploring. Right now I don't have the time to justify an RV and once I retire I'll have to see if I can afford it, especially if gas prices keep rising.

As for camping, I've done a lot of camping but by hauling my gear and bike(s) in my truck. I can sleep pretty well with a real air mattress, pillow etc. I never considered moto camping until I started reading this forum. I love the idea since it allows much more flexibility on a trip and saves a lot of $$. Now if I could just get it to work for me. So far I have yet to sleep well while moto camping. I haven't given up yet though. I'm sure I could make it work if I got a bigger bike and hauling more gear but I'm trying to avoid that. I may end up getting a slightly bigger scooter like a Kymco 300 and probably another motorcycle with the Versys at the top of my list. Neither of these are huge bikes and I have no desire for a Burgman or Goldwing at this time. Smaller bikes are just to much fun to ride

Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #323
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After leaving the overlook I headed towards home. My route was 129 to 72 to 411 south to 68 west to 307 to Athens. At this point I don't remember my exact route but ended up on 75 south. I took 75 to Chattanooga to 24 west. I wanted to do some exploring in the Chattanooga area so I exited 24 and took 72 west which looked like an interesting road following Nickajack lake. I was expecting a fun road with a lot of nice water views but got a poorly maintained road with no real curves and only occasional vies of the water. Just before getting back to the intersection with I-24 it did become scenic and I stopped to get some pics. There was a guy there with a "real" camera, not a cheap point and shoot like mine, also taking pics. We talked for a while about photography. He said to be sure to get a pic of the old railroad bridge since it wouldn't be there much longer. I did:

When you mix water and mountains it's hard not to have scenic views.

Then I headed over I-24 and on to 156.

This is why I like this detour:

Since it was still early, I did some exploring. The first interesting road I turned down ended up as a dead end. The second went up a mountain. This nice view was spoiled by the barbed wire fence.

I stayed on this road into Alabama where it became 73. I took 73 to 71 to Flat Rock where I took a break and some pics.

From there it was 71 to 40 to 35 to Scotsboro and the 72 to Huntsville. These roads were nothing spectacular but most of them were new to me and a pleasant alternative to just staying on the boring 4 lane.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #324
Mr&MrsErnbo
Taggin' Machines

Oddometer: 1,315
Moto Camping

A couple of suggestions to make moto-camping more comfortable.
1. A hammock will be great to sleep in and there are several good models available. I used one in the Army and loved it, used from the woods of southern Georgia to the deserts of the Middle East.
2. Travel light, freeze at night. Not in the summer, but less is more as you know. Foot powder makes socks last longer, bungee cords twisted together make great drying lines.
3. Sterno heats up water in a small container which is good for cooking and making a hot beverage in the morning to wake you up.
4. The 'ol puss pad, a closed foam cell sleeping mat if you don't like the idea of a hammock. I used to put my pad into the hammock.
5. A good partner to join you and provide comic relief and support, such as myself.

Mr&MrsErnbo screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 03:13 PM
Mr&MrsErnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #325
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsErnbo View Post
A couple of suggestions to make moto-camping more comfortable.
1. A hammock will be great to sleep in and there are several good models available. I used one in the Army and loved it, used from the woods of southern Georgia to the deserts of the Middle East.
2. Travel light, freeze at night. Not in the summer, but less is more as you know. Foot powder makes socks last longer, bungee cords twisted together make great drying lines.
3. Sterno heats up water in a small container which is good for cooking and making a hot beverage in the morning to wake you up.
4. The 'ol puss pad, a closed foam cell sleeping mat if you don't like the idea of a hammock. I used to put my pad into the hammock.
5. A good partner to join you and provide comic relief and support, such as myself.
you're not the first to recommend a hammock. The last, and only time I slept in a hammock was a long time ago when I was out sailing on this:

I was a lot younger back then

One problem I see with a Hammock is that there often aren't good places to tie it off. I have never seen a Hammock at any of the places I have camped. I have camped mostly at motorcycle campgrounds like Deals Gap, Blue Ridge Cycle Camp or TWO. I have also camped at some state parks.

As for a partner to provide comic relief, are you volunteering?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #326
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thursday night there was a "flash mob" scheduled in Madison on Bamarides. It promised the best wings in North Alabama. It meant missing some sleep and going to work tired that night but I decided to go. So the spousal unit and I jumped on the Aprilia and went. The place was Crickets:

Judging by the parking lot it looked like it attracted all the local riff raff

I have to say they did have the best wings I have had in Northern Alabama.............................well they were the only wings I have had in northern Alabama.

Seriously, they were some of the best wings I have ever had. It was a good time and worth missing a little sleep.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:47 AM   #327
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
The look on the face of the gentleman to the right of the table is interesting - is it envy or trepidation?

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #328
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Went for another ride with some guys from Bamarides. It was advertised to be a spirited ride so I decided to take the KLR instead of the Aprilia. Also, I just got new fork seals and front tire on the KLR and It's been a while since I did a long ride on the KLR.

The plan was to meet near Guntersville and do a ride from there. I set my alarm wrong and woke up a little late but I could still make it if I hurried. Got up and looked outside, it was raining. On top of that I had heard a lot of thunder over night. I checked the Bamarides forum. There was some nasty weather out there so it was decided to push the ride back an hour. It stopped raining at my house and things where looking good. Then just before I left it started raining again. Oh well, it's only water so I took off anyway. It took a little over an hour to get to the meeting place. It rained off and on and my feet and crotch were wet. No one else was there but I was pretty early.

More riders started showing up a few minutes after I got there. Like my last ride with Bamarides, it was a mixed group. We ended up with an R1, Ninja 1000, Hayabusa, Old Nighthawk 700, HD Electra Glide (2 up), Suzuki M109, and of course me on the KLR.

Hangin out at the MAPCO on 431:

We were waiting a while for another rider so I took the opportunity to dry out my socks and boots some.

The other rider never made it but it we weren't bored and it gave the roads a chance top dry. By the time we left the sun was out

Heading across the bridge into Guntersville.

We turned left on 227 and then did some back roads to the right and left of 227.

A group with such a diverse bunch of bikes should not work, but it did. We all rode our own pace and didn't try to ride in formation like it was a parade.

It was a scenic ride with lots of water views.

We ended up having a late lunch in Scottsboro.

After that we split up and went our separate ways. Two guys came up all the way from Birmingham, one or two from Muscle Shoals and the rest of us more local. It was my second ride with Bamarides and it was a great ride. I plan on doing many more. If you live in Alabama, you should check Bamarides out. http://bamarides.com/

The Harley rider in the group made a video:
">

Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #329
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 997

Howdy klaviator,good RR as usual.
I'm digging the new Grom too.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #330
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 621
The bamarides groups are always funny like that.

We had a Xr650L, TTR250, my Husky SM, a Goldwing, an '80s Honda Cruiser, a brand new Aprilla, and a DRZ, Harley 883, and probably 5 other random bikes on a ride before.

Shane, on the black R1, can ride like the fukin wind. He doesn't wear full leathers on the street because he's cold Hes the only guy I've seen drag a need on an intestate on-ramp
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote