Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #376
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,370
Due to some chilly weather, I went 3 days without going for a ride this past week. I was starting to suffer from PMS and SIDS.

For those of you unfamiliar with these diseases, that's Parked Motorcycle Sickness and Scooter Involvement Deficiency Syndrome.

Luckily, we had a heat wave on Friday.

So I went for a ride.

I did a full ride report here: http://bamarides.com/ride/ride-repor...-pms-and-sids/

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #377
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Despite some really cold (for Alabama) weather lately, we did get a few nice days to get out and ride. I went for a short ride last weekend with a couple of other guys.

I swapped bikes with the guy on the WR250 and managed to get some pics of my scooter in action. Here's one:

Then another longer ride this weekend. We had a group of 3 motorcycles and 2 scooters and rode out to High Falls.

The falls show just how cold it's been around here and where half frozen.

A close up of the ice.

Nearly everyone had a camera and was taking pics.

Someone even got a pic of me.

Some pics of the falls.

We weren't the only ones out enjoying the day.

Alabama has a lot of water and we had a view of it for much of the ride.

And for a great finish to the ride, when i got back to the Rocket City I managed to get a shot of the Saturn V at liftoff.

And a short video made by one of the other riders.

">

More pics here:
http://bamarides.com/ride/planned-ri...urday-2114/30/

klaviator screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 09:01 AM
Old 02-03-2014, 02:54 AM   #378
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 976
Hi Win !

Good Stuff, as usual. This winter's been rough up here in the old Tundra known as Ohio.
Any trips planned for the summer ?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #379
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
Hi Win !

Good Stuff, as usual. This winter's been rough up here in the old Tundra known as Ohio.
Any trips planned for the summer ?

Hi Steve,

I'm glad I'm not up there, it's been cold enough down here. No definite trips planned yet but will probably set up some group rides in N. GA and NC. I may ride up to Cleveland to visit my parents but there are a lot of long rides I'd like to do but not enough vacation time.

How about you, any trips planned?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #380
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 976
No definite trips planned. The usual BRP and overnight/2/3 day wander around southern OH and WV whenever time allows.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #381
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After a lot of really cold weather, we finally had a really beautiful day. I looked out this morning and saw this:

So I went out and took some pics.

The roads didn't look too bad so I decided to go for a ride.

My driveway has a slight slope. I fishtailed part of the way up and then ended up getting off and pushing.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #382
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I wasn't the only one enjoying the beautiful weather. Our puppy, Sparky:

A few hours later the roads were mostly clear of snow and ice so I went for a longer ride.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #383
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Went for a ride with the local scooter club.

There were 8 scooters total. Most of them were smaller 150c scooters so I was glad I rode my Super 8. This was the first group ride I did on my small scooter.

It was a nice day and fun ride. I did a short ride report here: http://bamarides.com/ride/ride-repor...le-area-21614/

Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #384
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've been keeping busy riding.

Checked out the sunset on Friday night:

Went on a ride with a group from Bamarides on Saturday:

Today I went for a short ride in the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge.

And when I wasn't riding I was working on another project. I've been digging through my old pics and scanning some of them. I managed to get enough to put together a ride report form a 2+ month trip I took back in 1997. Here's few pics from that trip:

The full ride report is here: http://bamarides.com/ride/ride-repor...oast-and-back/

klaviator screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 07:44 PM
Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #385
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Went out and rode around the Wheeler Wildlife Refuge with a couple of other guys. Nothing really difficult or exciting but it's close by and an easy way to get off the pavement. Due to all the recent rains there were plenty of pot holes and some mud to deal with. The TN river level was high enough to flood the road in a couple of spots.

A few pics:

More detailed report and more pics are here: http://bamarides.com/ride/ride-repor...refuge-3-1-14/

Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #386
Falcon083
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Great Rides

Wow, your Gnarly Adventurer name tag is true to the word. You have been very lucky to have been able to travel to those amazing places

Very nice Reports since moving here. I had to use this name since my usual was taken. 1st time i ever had that issue usually Falcon7 is available i had to use 083 still works.

Well, just "Stopped" by to say hello here on the ole Forums.
Falcon083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #387
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Brian. I have been very lucky. I have ridden in 42 of the 50 states. I have all kinds of great memories involving 2 wheels. I just wish that I had a digital camera and a forum like this to document all those great rides I did before I joined ADV. Actually, much of my riding was done before ADV existed or Al Gore invented the internet

At least I learned my lesson. I seldom go on anything other than real short rides with out my camera.

Looking forward to riding with you again soon. We wouldn't want your bike to stay clean for too long

Old 03-09-2014, 01:59 AM   #388
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Went out and explored the Wheeler Wildlife refuge on the south side of the river yesterday. I was a real spring day with lots of sunshine and temps in the high 60s.

Then a bunch of us met at Crickets for some wings. It was nice enough to eat outside.

How good are the wings at crickets?

One guy rode up from Birmingham to join us.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:20 AM   #389
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After a great day on Saturday I had an even better day on Sunday

I got on the road at 7:30 ( felt like 6:30 due to daylight savings time change) and headed down towards Birmingham. My destination; Barbers Motorsport Park. I had never been to Barbers before and a bunch of guys from Bamarides were doing a trackday.

After around 115 miles on my Aprilia I arrived a Barbers and found the gang in the pits. It was a whole 5 bucks to get in

It turns out that Don, the guy who runs the Bamaride forum knew his way around and got us access to pretty much anywhere we wanted to go on the track. So I followed him around and took some pics.

Although it's been years since I have owned a sport bike, deep down I am still a sport bike rider at heart. Listening to the wail of the motors at full throttle and high RPM made me realize how much I miss running hard on a sport bike. Maybe I need to get a bike for the track?

So I enjoyed the show and took some more pics.

This is one of the guys from bamarides. His R1 had a deep sound more like a twin than a typical 4 cylinder.

This is a video he made. Watching it makes me want to get a track bike even more.

">
Old 03-11-2014, 04:21 AM   #390
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After a great day on Saturday I had an even better day on Sunday

I got on the road at 7:30 ( felt like 6:30 due to daylight savings time change) and headed down towards Birmingham. My destination; Barbers Motorsport Park. I had never been to Barbers before and a bunch of guys from Bamarides were doing a trackday. I didn't take any pics of the ride down and back.

After around 115 miles on my Aprilia I arrived a Barbers and found the gang in the pits. It was a whole 5 bucks to get in

It turns out that Don, the guy who runs the Bamaride forum knew his way around and got us access to pretty much anywhere we wanted to go on the track. So I followed him around and took some pics.

Although it's been years since I have owned a sport bike, deep down I am still a sport bike rider at heart. Listening to the wail of the motors at full throttle and high RPM made me realize how much I miss running hard on a sport bike. Maybe I need to get a bike for the track?

So I enjoyed the show and took some more pics.

This is one of the guys from bamarides. His R1 had a deep sound more like a twin than a typical 4 cylinder.

This is a video he made. Watching it makes me want to get a track bike even more.

">