Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #421
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,777
Went to dinner with a couple of guys on Adventure bikes, a Wee Strom and a Super teniere. We went down 60 and 19 to Turners Corner. We got a table outside and were joined by another couple staying at TWoS.

After introductions, most of us had not met before, I asked if anyone was on ADV. It turns out one of the guys was Bluelghting. We had "met" before on the forum but not in person. The couple who joined us was checking out some new gear for an upcoming trip to Montana. It was an interesting conversation during dinner.

Then we decided to complete the cooler run by going over Blood mountain and 180.

I followed Bluelghtning and took a few pics but they all turned out like this.

129 was fun. 180 was under construction. The lane going to Suches had been repaved and was clean but I didn't trust the shiney looking fresh asphalt and took it slow.

When we got back to TWoS there was a gal who was looking for volunteers for a night dual sport ride

I have ended up out in the woods after dark due to poor planning but never did it on purpose. What the heck, you only live twice so I decided to go along. Three of us ended up going. The sky was really cool early in ride. I took a few pics on the go but they didn't do it justice.

I led about the first half of the ride and with the stock KLR headlight, it was ...................interesting. We took a break about halfway so i got a pic.

One more on the go.

One interesting part of the ride was when we came up to a bridge way out in the middle of the forest and there where a bunch of people partying on it. They seemed to be pretty drunk

Overall it was a pretty cool experience. If I was going to do it more often i think I would invest in some auxiliary lights.

By the time we got back it ended up being a 345 mile day for me.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 09:10 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #422
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
It was good to finally put a face with the name this weekend! Great riding with you Sat evening!

I'm sure I'll see you around there again!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #423
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
It was good to finally put a face with the name this weekend! Great riding with you Sat evening!

I'm sure I'll see you around there again!
It was good meeting and riding with you. The ride to and from dinner as well as the night ride were great

And now on to Sunday.

I woke up early and wandered around a bit then had breakfast. I had planned on getting up early and doing the cooler run before traffic hit the roads but I had checked that block on Saturday so I was lazy and just hung out and took a few pics.

Then it was time to head back home. I pretty much did the route I took here in reverse. It's a pretty nice ride with some dirt, but mostly paved back roads. I did get one pic on the way back. This is Dougherty Gap Road on western GA.

This was my first time moto camping on the KLR. I recently added the tail trunk so that I could put my camping gear in a bag on the rear seat. The saddlebags are over 30 years old. I first bought them and put them on an 83 Yamaha Vision. They have been on several bikes since and have traveled a lot of miles.

This ride Back to the N. GA MTNS reminded me why I have loved going to the area since my first trip there in 1990. The roads are just fantastic. I love curves and there are plenty there. The Shinko 244s on my KLR stuck to the roads like glue. I also enjoyed the Forest Service roads in the area. Although I am considering replacing my KLR, it is a just about perfect bike for that area. It runs like a sportbike in the tight curves but also does well on the dirt/gravel roads in the area.

Another thing I love about going there is that I always meet people at TWoS (formerly TWO). This time was no exception as I caught up with several old friends and met some new ones. I just need to make the time to get back there more often.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #424
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,369
Looks like a fun weekend, Win.

I thought you might show up at BRMC.

TrashCan screwed with this post 06-17-2014 at 08:52 AM
TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #425
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Oddometer: 162
Night Riding

That was me with you guys on the night ride. What a blast. It's another world when the sun goes down.

I starting out by running over a snake, most likely a rattler, just as we left the pavement. I was flipping my visor up and saw the snake at the last second. Hopefully, he just has a good story to tell his friends.

You are right about that red sky. The pictures cannot convey how brilliant the color was.

Running the gauntlet of drunk Zombies on the bridge was also a new experience. Kinda spooky if you've seen a few too many scary movies.

Lot's a fun. Thanks for coming up with such a good route and leading us through the dark night.

Hope to see you up at Two Wheels of Suches again soon.
Porkchop316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #426
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Looks like a fun weekend, Win.

I thought you might show up at BRMC.
My original plan was to come to BRMC but some stuff came up to take care of on friday. On top of that, the chain on my KLR was looking pretty bad and I didn't know if I should chance a 900 mile ride with it so I decided to do the shorter ride to Suches. I am going to try to head up in your direction, or maybe BRMC in the next month or two.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #427
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop316 View Post
That was me with you guys on the night ride. What a blast. It's another world when the sun goes down.

I starting out by running over a snake, most likely a rattler, just as we left the pavement. I was flipping my visor up and saw the snake at the last second. Hopefully, he just has a good story to tell his friends.

You are right about that red sky. The pictures cannot convey how brilliant the color was.

Running the gauntlet of drunk Zombies on the bridge was also a new experience. Kinda spooky if you've seen a few too many scary movies.

Lot's a fun. Thanks for coming up with such a good route and leading us through the dark night.

Hope to see you up at Two Wheels of Suches again soon.
Thanks for suggesting the night ride. It certainly was cool I wish I had stopped to get a good picture of the red sky.

As for the Zombies, it gave us a much more interesting story to tell. I wish I had thought to take a pic.

Hopefully it won't be to long before I make it back to Suches.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #428
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 261
Nice to see others scooter dualsporting. I always get laughed at when I offroad on my PCX.

The night dualsport ride sounds fun. We did similar once on our KTMs, but me and the guy I used to ride dirt with both had SXes with no headlights. Night riding with a flashlight only was interesting to say the least!

Always good riding around Suches. I might be up there this weekend. Enjoyed all the RRs in this thread, definitely subbed to it.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #429
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
Nice to see others scooter dualsporting. I always get laughed at when I offroad on my PCX.

The night dualsport ride sounds fun. We did similar once on our KTMs, but me and the guy I used to ride dirt with both had SXes with no headlights. Night riding with a flashlight only was interesting to say the least!

Always good riding around Suches. I might be up there this weekend. Enjoyed all the RRs in this thread, definitely subbed to it.
Thanks for checking in. I was hoping to ride with you on the LRC ride saturday but it got cancelled. Did some of you go anyway?

Old 07-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #430
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I guess I have been neglecting this thread. Over a month since my last update. I HAVE been riding. I'll try to catch up.

I did another trip to Suches, this time with my wife. It was her first time camping in about 20 years.

We caught the 4th of July fireworks in Suches. It was only a short walk from the campground.

Debbi ended up going white water rafting on the Ocoee while I went riding.

And I met Elvis:

More riding:

Chasing some Sport bikes down Blood Mountain.

More details are here: http://bamarides.com/ride/ride-repor...-for-the-4rth/

Old 07-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #431
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Went for a dual sport ride in the Wheeler Wildlife refuge with a couple of other riders.

This was most likely my last dual sport ride on my trusty old XT. I'll explain why in a bit.

Full ride report is here: http://bamarides.com/ride/ride-repor...oring-wheeler/

Old 07-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #432
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Myself and one other rider took our 150cc scooters out riding with over 20 others on much bigger bikes.

It was a very interesting ride. We were not sure how far we would lag behind although we knew they would wait at all turns. It turns out that we weren't the slowest riders on this ride. We did fall behind most of the group on long straights but had no problems keeping up in the curves.

A few pics showing the diversity of riders & bikes on this ride.

There's a lot more pics here: http://bamarides.com/ride/ride-repor...d-ride-report/

Old 07-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #433
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Picked up a new toy on Friday

The garage is pretty crowded now and I really don't have the time to ride 5 bikes so I'll be selling the XT soon.

I got a great deal on the Versys. It's a new 2012 model. I got it for $4899 / $ 5464 OTD

Old 07-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #434
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Picked up a new toy on Friday

sweet!!

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote