User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
SchizzMan OP
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,617
Mexico TVIP Problem Solved

Been getting my TVIPs at the Tex-Mex border for 7-8 years now. It's never taken more than 15-20 minutes at the Colombia Bridge crossing near Laredo. Last spring I took Tricepilot's advice and applied for my TVIP online at:

http://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/imagenes/iitv/instruccionesIITV.html

This is SOP for me now as I like minimizing time and hassle for my border crossings. Who doesn't?

Well, it came time to apply for a new TVIP to return to Mexico City for Christmas and lo and behold I was denied! Reason given on the Banjercito web site was the failure to register the required documents with the TVIP I received last April. I still had the email with attached files I had sent to their email address as well as the confirmation reply I received the very next day. So I resent everything with a kind and respectful note. I never got any reply back.

Long story short:

The Mexican Consulate in Austin gave me this email address for resolving vehicle permit issues with Banjercito:

permisovehiculos@banjercito.com.mx

And this phone number to reach Banjercito in Mexico City (from the US):

011-52-55-53-28-2305

I opted to call and the young lady was very very professional. You will need to ask for someone who speaks English if you don't speak Spanish. I gave her the TVIP number and she had it up on her computer screen in seconds. There had been a rare failure on the bank's part to register the docs after receiving them and she had my passport number unlocked by the next morning so I could proceed with the new application. Total talk time was about 5 minutes.

Lessons learned:

1. keep an on-line record of all correspondence with Banjercito along with the required PDF/JPEG documents for easy resend. This cut my hassle time way down.

2. keep your hard copy receipt when you turn in your TVIP at the border (I'll be scanning it in to file with my other PDFs). This is your only proof that you actually returned the vehicle, in case that's in question. If you get your TVIP at the border be sure to have your previous TVIP receipt, required docs and printed correspondence with you so you have a shot at problem solving at the Banjercito window.

3. before resending req'd docs by email or registered mail ($25+ from Austin), call the Mexico City number and ask them to look up your TVIP number (found on your scanned copy that you sent them) and explain the issue to you.

4. be very polite and appreciative of their efforts to help but also be a bit assertive to avoid getting a runaround. They wanted me to resend everything after admitting their error and I politely asserted that I had already done my part - twice. That got it done.

Although this was my first online TVIP experience and it did produce a hassle I'm going to continue using it as I would rather encounter and resolve a problem from the comfort of my home than after a 250-300 mile ride to the border. Especially now that I'm equipped with their phone number. I'll also begin the process 3 weeks in advance of departure to allow more time to resolve any issues.

Looking to ride down Jan 29th.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
So it takes 3 weeks online as opposed to within an hour in person at the border.No time saving at all really and more details to mind.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,202
^ Maybe, if there's a problem or snafu

All of mine have come via online application within 3 days.
Ok, one came on the 4th day. 5 minutes on the computer, or, 3/4 of a day to drive to Austin to get a TVIP in person. Easy choice.

I always save the Banjercito correspondence, e.g., the email that says "we have received all of the required documents and posted them to your file". I have a file for all that TVIP stuff. Never have had to dig anything out of it though.

Of course, I did once drop in on Banjercito's D.F. HQ and hand them a big bottle of mezcal. Maybe that's why I get good service
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
SchizzMan OP
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
So it takes 3 weeks online as opposed to within an hour in person at the border.No time saving at all really and more details to mind.
You make a point SB. I was previously working with a 2 week lead time. That might still be enough now that I have their MC phone number. And surely there will be times I resort to a border application. But if you do have a problem like mine and you're stuck at the border trying to resolve it with someone at the Banjercito window........well, you could always check for any permit denial online before you leave home. Doing so without enough lead time to resolve the issue would still leave you without a permit when you need it.

As far as more details to mind, I disagree. No matter which way you go with the app. you still need to keep all the records and the receipt to resolve a situation like mine. Doing it online actually made it much faster, easier and cheaper. Had I applied at the border without all the docs for the previous TVIP I would've been looking at a 500 mile RT to produce hard copies as opposed to resending an email.

So, for those times I apply at the border I will be checking online for any issues before leaving home. And I will take all relevant hard copies from the previous permit when I go. But not if I do it online.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
SchizzMan OP
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
^ Maybe, if there's a problem or snafu

All of mine have come via online application within 3 days.
Ok, one came on the 4th day. 5 minutes on the computer, or, 3/4 of a day to drive to Austin to get a TVIP in person. Easy choice.

I always save the Banjercito correspondence, e.g., the email that says "we have received all of the required documents and posted them to your file". I have a file for all that TVIP stuff. Never have had to dig anything out of it though.

Of course, I did once drop in on Banjercito's D.F. HQ and hand them a big bottle of mezcal. Maybe that's why I get good service
So that's where I went wrong.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,340
The online TVIP application ask for the port of entry.

If after receiving the TVIP a different port of entry is used, is that a problem?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
SchizzMan OP
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
The online TVIP application ask for the port of entry.

If after receiving the TVIP a different port of entry is used, is that a problem?
Doesn't seem to matter by my experience. Last spring I got a permit to cross at Reynosa and ended up crossing at Colombia Bridge. Exact entry date also doesn't seem to matter. Just don't cross before the TVIP begin date. Or lien holder permission date, if that applies.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
2. keep your hard copy receipt when you turn in your TVIP at the border (I'll be scanning it in to file with my other PDFs). This is your only proof that you actually returned the vehicle, in case that's in question. If you get your TVIP at the border be sure to have your previous TVIP receipt, required docs and printed correspondence with you so you have a shot at problem solving at the Banjercito window.
One cannot overstress the importance of point # 2

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote