User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,735
The Dunlop 739 buzz-saw

While I don't think there's a substitute for the sheer adventure of rolling from your garage with a vauge notion of a route that may take you accross state lines, international borders, on highways, through singletrack, over open desert, and down city backways on a bike like the 640 Adventure ...

... I just bought my first dedicated, no-license-plate-possible-in-CA dirtbike last week. A 2002 Yamaha YZ426. An entirely new type of adventure has opened up. Limited in the sense that you're "room to roam" has signs, fences, or ordinances that define its limits, but adventure nonetheless in that there's really no other tool one could use to explore this terrain effectively in a day.

Intro finished ... photos now. Good place. Never been before.

El Mirage Dry Lake.

The lake was not so dry...

The trails, however, were.

Yep, that's my ARAI XD in dirt trim hanging off the bars...

A few mineshafts were here & there ... marked good!

AND NOW THE BUZZ-SAW ...

just a peice of styrofoam ... nice white roost in an otherwise gray landscape...

all done.

good day.

Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog

inte screwed with this post 01-07-2005 at 08:03 AM
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
12bridn
I need throttle therapy

Oddometer: 4,086
Nice pics. The west never ceases to amaze me.
12bridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,309
I wish I was there right now on my 300 EXC! Damned snow
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
Thumb

Nice report, wish I could have been there.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,761
Right on!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,412
Looks like a blast. Wish I was there.

Why did you have to shred the styrofoam? That's they type of stuff the Sierra Club (and like groups) use as ammunition against us. If people weren't so messy, we wouldn't experience area closures (some areas in/around the Rubicon Trail, for instance). It would have been nice if you could have brought it back and disposed of it in a trash barrel.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
I wish I was there right now on my 300 EXC! Damned snow
Yesterday was great out there!! Today is a mess - howling wind, rain, snow. I'm told flash-flood danger is very real when it gets like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
Why did you have to shred the styrofoam? That's they type of stuff the Sierra Club (and like groups) use as ammunition against us. If people weren't so messy, we wouldn't experience area closures (some areas in/around the Rubicon Trail, for instance). It would have been nice if you could have brought it back and disposed of it in a trash barrel.
Good point. I thought about that. It was around 20 miles or so from the car & I couldn't figure out how to transport the foam, the discarded couch, the shot-up TV (plus shell casings), the burned-out car, and the mobile home back with me...

...if I had panned the photo just to he left you'd be able to see the barbed-wire fence that borderd what appeared to be a makeshift dump...

From what little experience I have had in this area, it seems much of this could be closed in the not-too distant future. I did a ride on my big LC4 not too far from here - similar landscape, you'll come over a ridge in what seems to be the middle of nowhere & there's a new housing development in progress!
Old 01-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
12bridn
I need throttle therapy

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:

I was waiting for that. My gut reaction was the same, then realized, "Where would he put it?" At least when it is shredded it will degrade faster.
12bridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,916
The El Mirage riding area gets smaller all the time. I haven't been there in years, but back in the day it was a lot of fun. You should try out Lucerne Valley or Red Mountain. You can really cover some ground out there.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #10
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bridn
I was waiting for that. My gut reaction was the same, then realized, "Where would he put it?" At least when it is shredded it will degrade faster.
I agree with Bronco638 in a way - I've been a mountain biker for years & am a big advocate of the "pack-in pack-out" philosophy. It's always best to clean up stuff if you have the opportunity. In the staging areas it's no big deal to toss something in the back of your truck if you see it lying there - that sort of thing.

These random trash-piles are another story. I'm curious how the stuff gets there in the first place. Seems the difficulty in packing this stuff out goes both ways ... who took the time to strap a big-screen TV to a Quad or something & battle their way out these trails to shoot it up in the middle of nowhere!?

I see stuff like this shot up in abandoned quarries & I guess that's not as much of a big deal because those are already severly scarred portions of land that essentially becomes dumps, but some of these makeshift dumps appear to be in what was once pristine desert landscape. I don't live there, so I can't speak to the law of the desert...

Sure is fun to ride around the place though.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
The El Mirage riding area gets smaller all the time. I haven't been there in years, but back in the day it was a lot of fun. You should try out Lucerne Valley or Red Mountain. You can really cover some ground out there.
Where's Red Mountain?

Lucern is the next place I want to hit with the recently-accquired bike...

I've been to Lucern twice - once a couple years back - it was my first time on a bike of any kind - KTM 620 LC4 RXC. We hit some nasty trails...

The second time was recently on my trials bike riding the nationals trail & shooting photos of guys like this:

Really looking forward to visiting that place on the Yamaha!

...I'll be sure to ride around any styrofoam...
Old 01-10-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by inte
I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything (and it appears you took my original post as the constructive criticism is was). Also, I was afraid that the styrofoam wasn't the only "garbage" out there. And, yeah, I'm sure that piece wasn't going to fit into your pocket. It would just be nice if everyone was considerate so that we could continue to enjoy places like that.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #13
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,761
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything (and it appears you took my original post as the constructive criticism is was). Also, I was afraid that the styrofoam wasn't the only "garbage" out there. And, yeah, I'm sure that piece wasn't going to fit into your pocket. It would just be nice if everyone was considerate so that we could continue to enjoy places like that.
I'm glad you brought it up. Given what Inte has shown of his character here, I was fairly sure that the situation would be something like it was.

I spent a few weeks riding in the California Deserts a few years ago, and I was saddened to observe how beat up (useless trail proliferation, garbage, shooting crap) the areas all were. The trouble is how to turn it around- Today, it's so bad that even those who are predisposed to good behavior (like Inte or myself) feel so overwhelmed with it that we relax our standards some. I'm sure, if that piece of foam had been the only piece of trash for miles, that Inte would have figured out how to pick it up and haul it out. But it wasn't- when I was there, it looked like a garbage bomb had gone off. It was impossible to get far enough out to escape it all. Why haul out one piece of trash when a million more remain?

It's a question that we collectively have to answer, and reasonably soon. When I'm in those areas, I'm sometimes ashamed to be an OHV enthusiast, even though I'm pretty sure that most of the garbage did NOT come from OHV's (the trail proliferation did, tho).

:shrug

It's a tough nut to crack. It's worth discussing, though, so thanks for bringing it up.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:00 PM   #14
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inte
Where's Red Mountain?

Lucern is the next place I want to hit with the recently-accquired bike...

I've been to Lucern twice - once a couple years back - it was my first time on a bike of any kind - KTM 620 LC4 RXC. We hit some nasty trails...

The second time was recently on my trials bike riding the nationals trail & shooting photos of guys like this:

Really looking forward to visiting that place on the Yamaha!

Red Mountain is up towards Ridgecrest. Take 395 to the town of Red Mountain and turn right on Trona Rd. Go a few miles and you will come to a valley with railroad tracks crossing it at the low point. This is Teagle Wash. You can turn off to the right and camp on the gasline road or keep going past the tracks and up the other side of the valley to Charlies Place which is notable by the large rocks everywhere. Lots of good riding out there. Just be aware that both Lucerne and R.M. are used for desert racing and can be crowded during an event. There is still more than enough room for everyone, just not the solitary experience some people are looking for.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #15
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Me at Lucerne around 1991? Riding a 300EXC that I had never ridden before in a National hare & hound. Damn near won my class, lost the lead just a couple miles from the finish.