Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Oddometer: 915
Upgrade piston, camshaft and carburator for XR650L

Guys,

I would like to increase torque and power on my Xr650L (already got airfilter+jetting, headers and muffler FMF, upgraded sprockets). I have been advised to replace my camshaft with an aftermarket one as it should increase performance. Apparently this modification is well established for the 600R and the aftermarket camshaft is the same.
Does anyone have any experience about it?

Moreover I have been advice to upgrade the carburetor as the original one is "depression" type and could be better.

Finally I have seen that there is a huge amount of aftermarket piston for this bike varying from 100 to 103mm. Any comment about these? Is it whorthet to install it? will the bike be reliable?

Many thanks&ciao

Nic
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
Yes,the bike will be reliable if you upgrade to a larger piston, me I like the 105mm 710cc and 106mm 724cc kit for the tq. and power it delivers.
I think this is by far the best mod for the money.
But any high compression piston will give you a boost in performance weather it be 100mm or 108mm just not as much with the smaller forging.

For the cam I would get a mild one or use the OEM cam for reliability, it actually works quite well as long as the compression is kept between 8.3.1 and 9.5.1. If you go to a 10.5.1 piston than you need to bleed off more cylinder pressure or use a higher octane fuel.
High lift cams with lots of duration and steep ramp angles tend to wear the valve train out sooner but how much on a XRL650 is yet to be determined mileage wise. Not to many people run a steep cam on the street but me hehe. The cam is the last thing I would do because it can transfer your power band to another location and it may not be what you're looking for.
Need more info on what you're trying to do.

For the carb you can use one from an XR650R that works very well and is on the cheap, 50 to 100 dollars for that mod, jetting is 65s pilot b53e or b53f needle two clips down or a b53d all the way down and a 165 main jet or more on the main if you have many mod's done to your motor.

Pumper carbs are the hot ticket for the 650L but they're pricey, 400 to 500 dollars but well worth it in my book,another one of the better mod's for the money. You can look for a used one but there hard to find.

Exhaust, they all seem to work well on the L because the OEM one is so restrictive.

Head porting, you really only need this if you want every last bit of power out of your motor, it does make a difference on the dyno.
Stainless valves with a 3 angle cut 60/45/30 is the way to go to finish off the head work.

The first thing I would do is add an exhaust and pumper carb or a XR650R carb if your lacking on funds and see if that will satisfy your needs and go from there, I see you already have an exhaust.
The pumper carb transforms the L into another bike coming from the stock CV carb.

Add all the mod's together and you have one very mean L.......

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....

cyclewizard screwed with this post 12-30-2010 at 03:16 PM
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Many thanks,

this is very interestings and helpful.

Ciao

Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
Yes,the bike will be reliable if you upgrade to a larger piston, me I like the 105mm 710cc and 106mm 724cc kit for the tq. and power it delivers.
I think this is by far the best mod for the money.
But any high compression piston will give you a boost in performance weather it be 100mm or 108mm just not as much with the smaller forging.

For the cam I would get a mild one or use the OEM cam for reliability, it actually works quite well as long as the compression is kept between 8.3.1 and 9.5.1. If you go to a 10.5.1 piston than you need to bleed off more cylinder pressure or use a higher octane fuel.
High lift cams with lots of duration and steep ramp angles tend to wear the valve train out sooner but how much on a XRL650 is yet to be determined mileage wise. Not to many people run a steep cam on the street but me hehe. The cam is the last thing I would do because it can transfer your power band to another location and it may not be what you're looking for.
Need more info on what you're trying to do.

For the carb you can use one from an XR650R that works very well and is on the cheap, 50 to 100 dollars for that mod, jetting is 65s pilot b53e or b53f needle two clips down or a b53d all the way down and a 165 main jet or more on the main if you have many mod's done to your motor.

Pumper carbs are the hot ticket for the 650L but they're pricey, 400 to 500 dollars but well worth it in my book,another one of the better mod's for the money. You can look for a used one but there hard to find.

Exhaust, they all seem to work well on the L because the OEM one is so restrictive.

Head porting, you really only need this if you want every last bit of power out of your motor, it does make a difference on the dyno.
Stainless valves with a 3 angle cut 60/45/30 is the way to go to finish off the head work.

The first thing I would do is add an exhaust and pumper carb or a XR650R carb if your lacking on funds and see if that will satisfy your needs and go from there, I see you already have an exhaust.
The pumper carb transforms the L into another bike coming from the stock CV carb.

Add all the mod's together and you have one very mean L.......
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
What cyclewizard said.........but consider changing the 2nd gear to the NX650 second gear,,it closes the 1st-2nd gear gap.........makes it a lot better in the woods.......and even in the city it is really nice.The gap moves to 2nd-3rd but since you are moving at a decent speed it`s not noticeable..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
What cyclewizard said.........but consider changing the 2nd gear to the NX650 second gear,,it closes the 1st-2nd gear gap.........makes it a lot better in the woods.......and even in the city it is really nice.The gap moves to 2nd-3rd but since you are moving at a decent speed it`s not noticeable..

B
Thanks Brian for bringing that to his attention, makes for better wheelies.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
Thanks Brian for bringing that to his attention, makes for better wheelies.
Guys

I usually ride my bike into the Sahara desert where I hardly use the 1st gear...I also start with the 2nd. To make the bike "shorther" I replaced my front sproket with one with one theet less and increased the rear by three.

I do have an old NX650 park in the garage but I don't feel I want to cannibalize her...yet!

Ciao

Nic
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Riding in the desert may tax a modified XR650L's cooling ability. I'd suggest a "big fin" head (cooling fins are welded up so that they are much longer) and oil cooler (the XR400R cooler is probably the most durable).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Riding in the desert may tax a modified XR650L's cooling ability. I'd suggest a "big fin" head (cooling fins are welded up so that they are much longer) and oil cooler (the XR400R cooler is probably the most durable).
It's hard to beat the XR400 cooler for it's strength and durability.
And they're cheap compared to some of the other coolers on the market.
And for the big fin head, it's a must have for extreme hot weather riding.
100 bucks for the cooler and 300 bucks for a big fin head.