Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #31
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
IIRC he wants people to download it..so PhotoBuggers doesn`t take a crap...and then just thank him...sooooooooooo THANKS HEADTRAMA....

There...am i safe now...or do i have to move to Siberia

B
Living way up there where you reside in the snow belt bug infested woodlands of no mans land I think your safe.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #32
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Well that explains it, I guess. I have been using WISECO pistons....
Well stop using them then......

Kiddin

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #33
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
Living way up there where you reside in the snow belt bug infested woodlands of no mans land I think your safe.
Well......i don`t know about snow anymore,,we got our first real snow yesterday,,6 inches.........it`s been at or above freezing till now..somebody go spray some R12 refridgerant and we`ll be like Florida in a few years..............sad but true...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #34
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Well......i don`t know about snow anymore,,we got our first real snow yesterday,,6 inches.........it`s been at or above freezing till now..somebody go spray some R12 refridgerant and we`ll be like Florida in a few years..............sad but true...

B
Where the hell do you live ?The weather sucks here we've been ice racing on the lakes already.

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #35
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,079
Many years ago I went through the whole thing with an XR650L. Carb, piston, cams, pipe, etc. It made more power but not enough for my unreasonable expectations I sold it. I bought my 690r a year and a half ago and right out of the box this bike makes great power. So I dunno. In retrospect I probably would not have done the cam and just maybe some carb mods and maybe the piston.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #36
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
As seen at the top of the chart, the 650L has a shorter connecting rod than the 600s and that allows the stock piston to sit even lower in the hole at TDC. Crunch the numbers with an XR600 rod and stock 650L piston and see what happens.

I will add that I didn't put the Wiseco 8.7:1 piston on the chart because it has the same CH as a stock piston, just with no dish in the top and it's a forging instead of a casting.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #37
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Oddometer: 915
Ok guys,

I am well impresses with your knowledge!
This conversation took us much far than I thought...but it has been well worthed.

The bottom line for me is to remember to my self why I bought this bike here in Europe where it is very hard to find it: it's well known reliability!
My bike only got 5000 miles and if no needed I won't touch cylinder and piston...to much hassle,risks and money.

To gain much more...I'll better get an XR650R or KTM 690

So my plan would be:
1)Carburettor
2)NX 2nd gear keeping my 14+48 final transmission.

After all I feel this is the best value for money/reliability.

What you think guys? Which carb would you go for?

Thanks

Nic
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #38
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

The carb and the gears are the best noticeable improvements for sure without hurting reliability. the only time I would do a piston upgrade would be when the bore is beyond spec.

You have about 50,000 more miles to go before you need that..

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #39
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Personally, for the desert I'd skip the NX 2nd gear - I don't think it would be of benefit to you and it is quite a lot of work to install. I'm sure it would be of significant benefit if you rode a lot of tight terrain with frequent first-second gear shifts.

I'm not expert on the 650L, though I have ridden one a fair bit over the years. Most honda XRs respond quite well to a fairly mild performance cam (oft sold as "stage 1").

I would do the XR400R oil cooler first off, the performance mods after. If it were my bike and I were after more performance I think I would end up with a mild cam and moderately increased compression at stock bore size (but XR400R cooler and big fin head first). Realistically, I'd change out for an XR650R as the cost is the same (at least in the states). In fact, I did just that

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #40
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Realistically, I'd change out for an XR650R as the cost is the same (at least in the states). In fact, I did just that
You are right...if not for the fact that I have spent already a lot on this and the engine is brand new...

Ciao

Nic
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #41
Dr LC8 OP
...soon or later

Any advice regarding carbs?

Mikuni VS Edelbroke

Ciao

N
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #42
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
Where the hell do you live ?The weather sucks here we've been ice racing on the lakes already.
Yeah.Moncton,New Brunswick..up north in our province is bad,,but we kinda have a microclimate here that is generally nicer than most cities...we got hit bad last year with snow every few days.......but that`s unusual nowdays..it`s supposed to go to +1 celcuis this week with a low of -1 celcuis........right at the freezing point..

B
Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #43
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
Any advice regarding carbs?

Mikuni VS Edelbroke

Ciao

N
I would get the eddy for the kind of riding you'll be doing, it's simple to tune and you can find them used like new for 200 to 250.....
That's really all you need is either an XR650R carb or a pumper for a little better performance.
The eddy bolts right on with no modifications.
17E needle at 15 clicks from full rich, that's all there is to it.

The Micky is more difficult to tune if you're a novice bike wrench, if you're not a novice wrench than buy the Micky.
I think you would be more than happy with just a carb update.

I still like the eddy though for quick jetting changes.