User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,762
Are you 'nucking futz!?

Those were the words I heard from a friend of mine when I told him that I was flying out to western Kentucky to go pick up a new bike and then ride it back to Key West, FL by way of Virginia first. No big deal right? Except its end of December!

Tuesday, December 28th, the first leg of the trip. I fly in to Owensboro, KY and meet Byron, the owner of the bike I'm buying, and we head over to his house to check out the bike. Up until then, I had not yet seen the bike in person, but I had a good feeling about this bike. After all, its a 2009 with only 1400 miles on it; what could be wrong with the bike!? After a full look over of the bike and a little test ride, we sit down and take care of the paper work. By 6:15pm, I'm ready to roll away!

Here I am before leaving Byron's place on my new ride.

It was about 34 degrees outside when I left Byron's place, and living in Key West for the past year has turned me into a bit of a wuss when it comes to cold weather. Luckily I had brought plenty off good gear with me, including a set of heated gloves that I had on one of my other bikes back up in VA. I had my dad strip the wiring harness off of the bike and ship me all the parts prior to flying out to KY. That evening I rode about 2hrs and finally got a hotel room in Elizabethtown, KY. The plan was to meet my dad around Charleston, WV the next day. I had asked him to come and meet me with his truck 'cause I was a little concerned about going over the mountains during this time of year.

Well to make a long story short, I end up getting a wake up call at 6:45am. It's my dad and he's already in Charleston, WV!?
I guess he couldn't sleep the night before and was concerned about me and the weather and just got on the road. So I got my stuff together, packed up the bike and hit the road. We ended up meeting between Lexington, KY and Huntington, WV along I-64. We loaded up the bike in the back of the truck and headed east.

HEre is the bike after we loaded it in the truck.

The roads turned out to be fine going over the mountains, but I didn't not riding in the freezing cold!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

I spent Thursday at my folks place running a few errands and other things. I looked one last time at the weather forecast for the ride back south and decided to hit the road the next morning as they were calling for rain over the weekend. I put off my departure until 9:00am, waitting for the weather to warm up a touch.

Here's the bike all loaded up.

Here I am, just before take off!

I had layed out a route that followed all secondary roads and highways, and avoided interstate almost completely.

The beautiful, central VA, rolling countryside with the majestic blueridge in the background.

A field of Canadian geese.

Photo Op!

Here's something you don't see a lot in VA, a buffalo farm!

John H Kerr resevoir on the VA/NC border.

As I reached Oxford, NC around 1:00pm, I was starting to get hungry. That's when I spotted what I figured would be the perfect spot.

I was not disappointed, and ended up ordering the smothered chicken with a side of creamed potatoes and butters beans, along with some corn bread!

After lunch, I kept heading in a southerly direction, but ended up not taking any more pictures. I guess I didn't come across anything very picture worthy or was simply enjoying the ride too much as temps had warmed up to the low 60's!

I passed the NC/SC border as the sun was setting and kept on going. I finally pulled off the road around 9:30pm in southern SC. Tomorrow, I'll push through the rest of SC, all of Georgia and try to make it down to Key West......we'll see.

Stats for the day:

Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Nick650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Thats a sharp-looking bike, lookin' forward to seeing you at Laurel Forks.
Nick650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
Cup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Nice lookin bike. That's the way to pick up a new ride!
Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
BOBaloo22
Bald Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,752
Hey D, glad the weather worked out for you. Bike looks great, stay safe and have a Happy New Year.
Bob
Old 01-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,512
Congrats on the new ride! Looking forward to the rest of the journey back to Key West.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Nice looking new bike, Denis. Much more comfortable to get back to Monterey on than your last run West.....just don't ride the same route

Ride safe,
Bob

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 830
Thats it a great way to get to know each other.....
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Nice ride and pretty country.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
NEVERLOST
Banned

Oddometer: 949
They sell that exact model in Miami

PS: those are lima beans. Butter beans are brown carpetbagger.
NEVERLOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Congrats on the nice ride.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
stiff1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
my home town. looks like a nice ride, congrats.
stiff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDrive View Post
Nice looking new bike, Denis. Much more comfortable to get back to Monterey on than your last run West.....just don't ride the same route

Ride safe,
Bob
Hi BOB!

Yeah, I really like it! I just got this bike for my upcoming ride to Alaska for this summer. I plan on leaving from Key West, FL somewhere around mid June, so as to hit D2D in Dawson in the end of July and then continue all the way up to Prudhoe Bay. I'll have to swing down into CA so we can meet up and have a brew. If not on my Alaska trip, maybe later in the summer/early fall when I re-run the TAT again, but with my dad this time!

God I can't wait for this summer, it's gonna be great!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERLOST View Post
They sell that exact model in Miami

PS: those are lima beans. Butter beans are brown carpetbagger.
1)Yeah, but not in that condition or at the price that I got it for.

and

2) Butter beans may be brown where you come from, but down here in the south, they're greenish. don't know what you've been eating, but I'd get a second opinion if I were you.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,142
I'm jealous. I want to be you for one summer.
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote